Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 09-13-2006, 07:01 AM   #1  

Default What superfoods do you eat often and what's lacking?

I decided to reread the superfoods list, because I have a tendency to eat the same things over and over. Some things I get regularly-others not so much. What do you all find easy or difficult to get into your daily diet?
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:02 AM   #2  

Spinach or greens, broccoli, berries, oats, tea, tomatoes, onions, avocado, walnuts and chocolate are some I eat most days. Other things I need to make more effort. Apples, kiwi and pomegranite seem to be things I don't eat much of. I like them but just don't seem to eat them.
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:11 AM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

I have trouble getting beans, tea, and fish and I have to work at them. I did have trouble with citrus until I added OJ into my regular breakfast. I love cauliflower, pineapple, and sweet potato and eat these sidekicks more than broccoli, kiwi, or pumpkin.

I almost never have honey or pomegranate, and I'm trying to boost those. I have almost every day tomato, either turkey or chicken breast, and dark chocolate (I'm really good with that one!). The rest I'll have a few times a week.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:24 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I drink a lot of tea, I eat beans every day with a few exceptions, I eat tomatoes every day with a few exceptions, I eat wild salmon once every 2 weeks. I also eat various greens and broccoli regularly.

My challenge is citrus probably. I do use lemon juice in cooking but it is a rarity that I will actually eat a citrus fruit. Part of the problem is I am originally from California and I can't bring myself to pay the prices for citrus If I feel myself getting sick, I'll buy some oranges to help boost my vitamin C but that is usually it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:54 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

I don't get much citrus. I don't buy oranges because I can't seem to pick a good one. I like grapefruit alot, but peeling it's a pain. I also don't eat much tomato. I really have to force myself to eat a salad that I make at home. Don't know why.
kateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:06 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Pomegranates/tangelos - I eat a lot in the winter when they are in season, but not so much the rest of the year.

Kiwis - smushy and seedy.

Honey - I love honey, but rarely eat it. Sometimes, I add a little to my greek yogurt and fresh blackberries.

Broccoli - I want to love it, but just can't. I usually throw some into stir fries where it gets all hidden with other stuff and eaten by default.

Apples - they weren't a super food in the first book, so I was kind of snooty about apples for awhile. Now, I'm just in the habit of grabbing berries or mangos or peaches at the grocery store instead. I need to get better at it, there are some delicious apples (mmm honeycrisp, pink ladies, cameo, johnagold).

Dark chocolate - rarely trust myself with it. If I could buy a 1" inch square easily, I might eat it more often.

Soy - I like tofu, I just don't seem to eat it as often as I should.

Super food regulars - spinach (at least 1 serving a day, usually more), tomatoes, carrots, orange peppers, sugar snap peas, tea (lots and lots of tea), onions, garlic, olive oil, oats (in the form of whole wheat tortillas, whole grain bread, brown rice, most often), salmon (at least 2 times a week), berries (at least 1 serving a day, loooove berries), yogurt, nuts (at least one serving a day)
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:15 PM   #7  

I use canned unsweetened pumpkin for quick bread and muffins. Got some good recipes on 3FC as well as allrecipes.com. All are low points, low fat, low sugar.
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:26 PM   #8  
Working My Way Back Down

Hmmm, I almost never eat honey, or citrus. I don't like peeling it. I do like OJ and maybe I should bite the bullet and drink it more. I just have an aversion to drinking calories when I could have FOOD for the same calories.

I get really in a rut with my fruit. The past couple weeks it's been all peaches and nectarines because the local Costco-like store has gotten good tree-ripened ones. Otherwise I'm pretty much an apple, banana, cantalope gal, with frozen raspberries and strawberries in my cottage cheese. Oh, but I do eat the little Japanese oranges that are available around Christmas, and tangeines when we can get them. They have thinner, easier to remove skin, plus they're smaller. My DH would love it if I bought more grapefruit, it's one of his favorites. I don't think I've ever eaten a pomegranate! I'll have to look for them when the season comes. Glory - I agree about the kiwi's - ewwww.

Soy I almost never eat. I have some frozen edamane (and have had for about a month) which I should break out and eat. Cooking Light this month has a recipe for an Edamane Barley salad. And I do occasionally eat soy burgers or crumbles, but it's not a staple in my diet.

Later in the year I'll eat more sweet potatos/squash, but right now we have our home-grown white potatos and zucchini to eat while they're fresh. I do love all kinds of squash though!

Regularly I eat oats, orange pepper, tomatos, broccoli, all kinds of beans, wild salmon, turkey, tea, apples, nuts and tea.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:02 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I'm really bad about the soy. I look at the tofu in the grocery store and think I ought to buy some and do a stir fry or something, but never buy it. I tried edamame and put it in salads, but the kids didn't like it.

I don't eat much honey, but I'm going to make some 100% whole wheat bread and use honey as the sweetner.

I only eat the citrus when my trees are ripe. I have mandarine tangerines and grapefruit, but they won't be ripe until November (tangerines) or December/January (grapefruit).

I think I do pretty good on all the other superfoods--maybe not the recommended "dosage" but certainly once every couple of weeks (and others I tend to eat several times per week).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:27 PM   #10  

I have the most trouble with soy, i just can't convince myself that i like it. so i never eat it, honey is difficult also i always forget about it. the rest i seem to eat with no problem.
justjodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 03:59 PM   #11  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 253/183/150

Height: 5'4"

The one superfood that I've done a good job of incorporating into my regular diet that I wasn't eating much of before is berries, specifically blueberries.

I eat most of the others anywhere between several times a week and once or twice a month. Ones I eat often are apples, broccoli, olive oil (not always EVOO), garlic, oats, spinach, tomatoes and yogurt.

Ones I like but eat less often and want to work on eating more often are beans, kiwi, onion, oranges, pumpkin, salmon, turkey and walnuts. I already eat a good variety of nuts but walnuts aren't my fave.

Ones I don't really want to bother with are avocado (do eat a lot of asparagus, though), honey (I do eat it but sporadically), pomegranates, soy and tea (I drink iced but apparently most of the benefit is in a freshly brewed cup of hot tea).
BreakingFree is offline   Reply With Quote