Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 09-08-2006, 04:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/see ticker/125

Height: 5'6

Default good cereal?

ok, i am craving cereal badly but all i have in my pantry are multi-grain cheerios. I went to the store and all the brands were 5 dollars so i didnt want to buy an unhealthy cereal. Any suggestions on good ones?
RocknRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 06:30 PM   #2  
Tired of lettuce!

Height: 6 flippin' feet tall!

Fiber one! You get 14 grams of fiber in one serving. It's also good on salads and sandwiches, i'm not sure why...It's very filling
hoodj0080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 06:32 PM   #3  
Working My Way Back Down

Multi-grain cheerios are certainly a better choice than many of the dry cereals out there! They have fiber, not a huge amount of sugar. They are a little high in sodium, but frankly, I'd eat them! I eat regular cheerios several mornings a week. They do after all, have oats. I measure out a cup, add 1% milk, an oz of walnuts and usually fruit (berries, peaches, etc) Fills me up nicely.

You'll have to read labels to find a really good cereal. You might try try the natural foods section of your grocery for some higher fiber/whole grain stuff. I know that WW's Core program allows only shredded wheat and puffed wheat or rice, and some whole grain hot cereals. Most cold cereals have lots of sugar and/or sodium, and some have as much sugar as a candy bar.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 06:43 PM   #4  
Meg

My current favorite is Nature's Path Organic Flax Plus Cereal (from the natural food section of my grocery). A 3/4 cup serving has 100 calories, 22g carbs (of which 7g are fiber), 4g protein and 500mg of Omega 3's. It's awesome with blueberries.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 06:44 PM   #5  
Opulent

If you want a low sugar cereal, Weetabix is a good choice (4 grams of protein and fiber per serving at only 120 calories)...I used to like 'Optimum Power' (they make a 'Slim' version too) but they have too much sugar for me! Granted, it's organic evaporated cane syrup but sugar all the same.

I do love that they have so much protein and fiber (8 grams of protein, 10 grams of fiber for the 'Power' and 11 grams of fiber and 9 grams of protein per serving for the 'Slim').

I also love 'Flax Plus' but it's sooooooo sweet! I wish that a cereal just like that would be made with NO sugar!
Yogini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 07:25 PM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

I eat a lot of Cheerios myself, and Fiber One as well. My latest experiment is Nature's Path Optimum Power Breakfast Cereal with Flax Soy and Blueberry. 10 g fiber, 8 g protein, bran & whole grains, organic everything. Higher sugars than I'd like and sugar is the 3rd ingredient on the list (in the form of organic evaporated cane juice!), but it tastes really good. 190 cal/cup, about the same as raison bran.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 07:56 PM   #7  

My kids eat cheerios, total or shredded wheat. I prefer hot cereal myself. I've been eating Kashi pilaf (instead of my oatmeal) lately.
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:24 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
My current favorite is Nature's Path Organic Flax Plus Cereal (from the natural food section of my grocery). A 3/4 cup serving has 100 calories, 22g carbs (of which 7g are fiber), 4g protein and 500mg of Omega 3's. It's awesome with blueberries.
This is what I buy, too. Put a banana in the freezer for about 20 minutes and slice it on top. Mmmmmm! Walmart even carries it.
kateful is offline   Reply With Quote