Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 09-02-2006, 10:58 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Default Pizza

I finally got around to trying Trader Joe's "Almost Whole Wheat" pizza dough last night. Wow, was that good and not difficult to roll out. It is also a lot cheaper than Dominos (which used to be a twice a month treat, but we haven't had any pizza since March!) On it, I put half a container of TJ's fresh Brushetta (tomatoes, garlic, onions and olive oil), some cheese, broccoli, onions, red and orange peppers (that's all I had in the fridge). My DH and both my kids loved it (well, they had pepperoni on theirs!).

Any suggestions on what other veggies I should buy for the next time I fix this?
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 03:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I love spicy tomato sauce, low fat feta, spinach, mushrooms, roasted garlic, sun dried tomatoes and olives!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 03:52 PM   #3  

spinach, artichoke hearts, feta, olives and garlic-yum
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 03:56 PM   #4  
Opulent

Trader Joe's jarred Bruschetta ROCKS! have you tried it? It's my daughter's favorite. Your pizza sounds like mine, minus the cheese Sundried tomatoes, fresh basil, pesto (without oil even), roasted or grilled zucchini or eggplant is nice too

Sadly, the last time I checked the 'Almost Whole Wheat' it had only 1 measly gram of fiber per serving more than the other kind but it sure is an affordable way to make a healthier pizza at home. Thank Goddess for Trader Joe's!
Yogini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:35 AM   #5  
Finding Me Again

S/C/G: 235/212/140

Height: 5'3"

My fav pizza sounds a lot like Glory's! I haven't tried to make it at home yet, because I didn't know where to find the whole wheat dough...so THANK YOU for mentioning TJ! I will be going there today anyway to get more strawberry yogurt (yuuuuuuummy)!

What I have been eating is a pizza from a place around here called Carmen's. It's made with an organic stone ground whole wheat crust. (The owner is big on healthy eating.) I get spinach, black olives, mushrooms, cheese and extra sauce. I luuuuuv it! I wanted to try sundried tomatoes with it but didn't know if how they would do together. Geez, I could have just plucked them off and eaten them by themselves if I didn't like it! Hindsight, you know??? I want to try some roasted garlic with it, too.

I also get their stromboli (also made with organic stone ground whole wheat) with the same ingredients baked inside.

Thanks for posting this! I wanted to make it at home to save on cost and to experiment with different toppings. And my girls can get involved with trying their own combos too!
olivia627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:39 AM   #6  
Finding Me Again

You know, that pesto sounds like a winner too! I used to go to this little cafe called The Coffee Club in Media, PA where I always ordered a Mona Lisa Panini. It had pesto, tomatoes and mozzarella. It was sooooo good, and I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be good in pizza form too!
Old 09-03-2006, 10:30 AM   #7  
it's always something

You guys are making me so hungry I wish we had a Trader Joe's here. I make my own pizza from scratch. I usually top it with deep, earthy flavors, like porcini mushrooms, roasted garlic, sundried tomatoes, fresh herbs, and goat cheese.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 11:43 AM   #8  

Thanks for all the suggestions! Next time, I'm going to do a calzone for each of us (divide the dough into four pieces) and I'll be sure to add spinach, black olives, mushrooms. I didn't have any of these on hand when I made the pizza. I wanted to add some turkey sausage, but couldn't find any at TJ's, so I'll pick some up at the grocery store. I also need jalapenos (my favorite!). I do have TJ's jarred brushetta and it is very good, but the fresh kind sounded interesting. It was chunkier and runnier because it wasn't cooked, but the flavor was very good--more like an Italian salsa for pizza.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:45 PM   #9  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

I love green olives on pizza. I wish more pizza places offered them as a topping.
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:58 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivia627 View Post
My fav pizza sounds a lot like Glory's! I haven't tried to make it at home yet, because I didn't know where to find the whole wheat dough
If I don't feel like mucking around with dough, Boboli has a decent whole wheat pizza crust (in my grocery store, it's near the cheese).
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 08:07 PM   #11  
Finding Me Again

Well, last night I made a stromboli with the whole wheat dough in a bag from Trader Joe's for 99 cents! I oven roasted some garlic and sauteed mushrooms, fresh leaf spinach and the garlic in a pot. Then I stirred in burgandy roasted pepper olives. I rolled out the dough in a kind of rectangular, yet rounded shape. I put a few slices of American cheese down and put my 'stuffing' in and then folded it over and baked it. Very, very good! And a heck of a lot cheaper than buying it from the pizza place!

Tonight, we are making pizza with the 2nd bag of dough that I bought. This is sooo much fun!

Question, my bag says whole wheat. Is that different from the Almost Whole Wheat dough that you guys are buying?

Glory, I'm going to look out for the Boboli. I haven't seen it before.**
Old 09-06-2006, 08:49 PM   #12  
Working My Way Back Down

Ha! As I suspected, we are not able to get the whole wheat boboli here - at least yet. The regular stuff is pretty good, though not of course, whole wheat.

Hmmmm, now I want pizza! And I have a boboli in the freezer. Maybe Friday.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:11 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivia627 View Post
Question, my bag says whole wheat. Is that different from the Almost Whole Wheat dough that you guys are buying?
When I went to TJ's, they had only two kinds of dough available--Almost whole wheat and a white dough with garlic and either herbs or cheese mixed in. Perhaps there is another that is whole wheat and either my TJ's doesn't carry it or they were out that day. We have two TJ's here and they both carry slightly different things. One of the TJ's lets you fill out a ticket for a drawing of $25 worth of groceries each week if you use your reusable TJ's cloth grocery sack. The other one doesn't. Quite odd when you consider they are all the same chain of stores.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:25 PM   #14  
Finding Me Again

alinnell, does your dough come in a bag for 99 cents? I saw both the whole wheat and the regular dough when I bought it. Next time I go, I'll see if there is the Almost Whole Wheat dough, just to see if they carry all three. I was quite pleased with the whole wheat, and so were DH and both DD's. My 5 year old had so much fun spreading on the sauce and sprinkling on the cheese! My husband kept messing with the dough and tossing it in the air, trying to look like a professional pizza tosser. NOT! I kept telling him that he was overworking the dough and that he just looked ridiculous! It was quite funny, I must say! He can be such a goof sometimes, but we have to love him, I guess!!! So, it was a family project that tasted really good in the end. We'll be doing it again soon.