Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 08-21-2006, 11:12 AM   #1  
Finding Me Again

S/C/G: 235/212/140

Height: 5'3"

Default Super/Whole Foods and ???

Just curious what other 'plans' people are following in addition to eating Super/Whole Foods?

Are you exercising? If so, what is your exercise plan?

Are you counting calories? If so, how many calories?

Are you following your own customized plan? If so, what is your plan?

Are you weight training? If so, what is your training schedule?

Are you simply trying to achieve/maintain good health?

Please share all dimensions of your healthy lifestyles and what your overall plans and goals are!
olivia627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:17 AM   #2  
Finding Me Again

S/C/G: 235/212/140

Edited to change the format of my post!

Not yet! The plan is to begin exercising around the first of September. I'll start with walking 30 minutes per day at 4 mph.

Yes! 1400 - 1500 per day. Once I add exercise, I'll raise those numbers a bit!

Yes! It's a combination of SuperFoods, calorie counting & the French way of eating (light breakfast, large lunch, light dinner, light dessert)

Not yet! The plan is to begin weight/strength training around the first of November. At that time, I'll start with 3 days per week.

No! I need to get rid of this extra weight as well. Doing it the healthy way will ensure that I will continue this way of life after the extra weight is gone!

Please share all dimensions of your healthy lifestyles and what your overall plans and goals are!
I didn't want to overwhelm myself with too many life changes at once. So for my first month, I am focusing on keeping an eye on how many calories I take in and eating as many SuperFoods as I can get in each day.

My second month will focus on adding exercise to my daily routine.

My third month will focus on adding strength training to the mix.

As for the weight loss, I set a goal of 1 year to get rid of 81 pounds. If I fall short, so be it! I'll keep going until I am happy with my size and my appearance.

Last edited by olivia627; 08-21-2006 at 11:51 PM.
olivia627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:18 AM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

Nothing formal, but I do try to walk when I can. I had a broken ankle earlier this year which isn't completely healed, so I can't put much weight on it for very long at a time.

I struggle to get up to 1200 so that's what I shoot for.

Fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans and fish. I also make sure I get in olive oil each day, drink green tea at least once per day, and stay out of the junk food and sweets. My biggest vice is a (real) coke in the morning on the way to work, and beer in the afternoon after work. Those two things have been the biggest roadblock in my weight loss journey.

No, but I really want to. Whenever I get back to the gym, that will be the first thing I do.

That's what my ultimate goal is; to try and head off all the different risk factors I have due to an extensive history of disease on both sides of the family: dad with heart disease starting in mid-40s; mom and all aunts and uncles on her side have diabetes; my sister had diabetes and also passed away from cancer at age 47 ... I'm doomed if I don't do something quickly.
Katpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:31 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Yes! I try various forms of exercise. Right now I'm hiking once a week and doing yoga twice a day. I'm also trying to add in some other type of exercise every day.

No, but I do have a good idea about calories that I'm eating.

Basically, I eat whole foods, eat a minimal amount of meat but I allow myself to eat out once in a while. I also eat 5 or 6 small meals each day.

When I can, yes. I've been slacking lately.

That is a big part of my goal.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:53 AM   #5  
it's always something

I'm walking on the treadmill daily and also doing PUSH 3 times per week

Not really. Just eyeballing it and hoping I don't eat too much or too little. If I had to pick a number, I'd say 1200 to 1600 is good for me.

I'm actually starting Fat Smash this week, which has some specific guidelines, but it's still all whole foods.

Push it, push it, push push push! Ok, not everyone is going to get that

I'm on the verge of freaking out about getting healthy, lol. I have similar goals to Katpo. My family history is filled with cancer and heart disease. I haven't escaped it and already had a brush with cancer when I was 26, and I've had heart disease for 20 years. What's next? I don't want to find out.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 12:43 PM   #6  
Started again Aug 21, 09

S/C/G: 237/204/165

Height: 5'9"

Are you exercising? If so, what is your exercise plan? I have a weekly goal of about 1000 calories burned in exercise a week. That typically equals four sessions of 30-40 mins of cardio. I change it up everytime to keep my body guessing, stairclimber, elliptical, aerobic videos.

Are you counting calories? If so, how many calories? 1600-1800 daily

Are you weight training? If so, what is your training schedule? Twice a week - about 20-30 mins right now.

Are you simply trying to achieve/maintain good health? Wanting to reduce body fat % and alleviate medical problems as a result of obesity. Currently 4 weeks without Nexium!

I'm really getting into buying the whole foods and incorporating them into a lower calorie way of eating. Central Market is my new favorite place to shop! I love that I can et anything from the ordinary produce to the exotic there and its not really THAT much more expensive...
tinabinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 01:46 PM   #7  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Yes - I'm taking bikram yoga classes (2 x 90 minute sessions) and bellydance class (1 per week - 90 minute session)

No but I am counting Weight Watcher points

My plan is WW, mostly vegetarian (eat meat or fish on weekends) and focusing on whole foods.

I lift small dumbells at home twice a week

Yes, but losing that last few pounds would be nice!

I focus on buying and cooking fresh foods and avoiding fast food, processed foods and fake/frankenfoods. My meals are simple, healthy and have to be ready in 30 minutes or less - I can't be bothered with complicated recipes that take hours to cook.

I always read the labels of anything I buy and if I don't like what I see (additives, chemicals, colouring) then I don't buy it.

I meal plan and only shop for things on my list - having a plan for everything you buy means saving $$$ and less waste in the veggie/fruit bin of your fridge.

My lifestyle now encompasses good nutrition, physical health, fitness and spiritual health.
mauvaisroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 02:54 PM   #8  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Are you exercising? If so, what is your exercise plan? Yes. I walk 10 miles per week, plus work out 3-4 times per week at Curves.

Are you counting calories? If so, how many calories? No. I don't count anything. I'm not even keeping track of how many pounds I've lost, although I do track progress by measurements and clothing sizes.

Are you following your own customized plan? If so, what is your plan? Yes. My plan is to not diet. This is a huge oversimplification, but basically I can eat anything I want as long as it's not a "diet" food (like "lite," "lo-carb," "low-fat" stuff). I have been on diets almost continually ever since I was a child, and all they have accomplished is that I've learned to ignore my body's own signals about what it needs, instead applying an external set of rules and restrictions from whatever diet happened to be popular at the time. So the main goal of my "plan" is to re-learn how to listen to my body's signals about food (both quantity and quality), because I've finally figured out that it's a lot smarter than I am on that subject. And also to view food as something positive instead of as "the enemy."

Are you weight training? If so, what is your training schedule? If you count the circuit training at Curves as "weight training." Once my annual membership runs out I might join a different gym that has more weight training equipment.

Are you simply trying to achieve/maintain good health? Yes and no. I believe you can be fat and still be healthy, but I don't want to deal with the obstacles that being fat puts in my life anymore, so I am not content with just being fat and healthy. I want to be slender too.

Please share all dimensions of your healthy lifestyles and what your overall plans and goals are! I love food (especially spicy ethnic cuisines) and I love to cook. When I was growing up, the food I ate fell into 2 categories: processed foods (like generic mac & cheese in a box) or really bad home cooking (and I don't just mean bad tasting, but bad for you too). So I basically learned to cook as a form of self-defense. I couldn't afford to go to restaurants very often, so when I did go, if I really liked what I had ordered I would try to copy it at home later. I finally got good enough at it so that I like my own cooking better than anything I can get at a restaurant (at least the ones I can afford, lol). I prefer to cook with whole foods because it makes the result taste better. Mostly when I eat processed foods I can taste the preservatives and fillers in them, so I have pretty much given up processed foods and junk/fast food. Same thing with sodas; they just taste like a broth of chemicals to me.

I also think the fact that I eat a lot of spicy foods is working in my favor because research has shown that eating chiles will raise your metabolism for several hours after eating. Plus I know that my appetite is satiated sooner with spicy foods than with bland ones.
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 03:32 PM   #9  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 253/183/150

Height: 5'4"

I work out 3-5 times a week for 45 minutes on my home elliptical trainer. I also try to take advantage of "every day" opportunities to move more, including taking the stairs at work, taking a 20 minute walking break at work, etc.

No.

The biggest piece of my plan is mindful eating - tuning in to my body's signals of fullness and hunger so as to naturally choose and eat the right foods (i.e. what my body needs) as well as the right amount. I am focusing on incorporating more whole foods than I'd been using (although I'd been using quite a lot), esp. ones I haven't chosen before. I'm also focusing on how I "misuse" food for emotional reasons and looking to develop healthier coping strategies. I don't restrict any foods and I don't eat only whole foods.

No.

I am trying to achieve an excellent state of health, part of which is by losing weight.

In addition to my eating and exercising, relaxation and downtime are extremely important to me. When I get overly busy, tired or frenzied, I eat! I need time to myself and time just hanging around the house with my husband and dogs, reading, talking & watching movies. I strive to achieve a balance between work, family, friends, obligations and relaxation.

Last edited by BreakingFree; 08-21-2006 at 03:41 PM.
BreakingFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 05:31 PM   #10  

Not enough. I walk and do yoga. I should really kick it up a notch though.

Yes, between 1600-1800/day

My own, incorporating things I love in a healthy manner. I love spicy food, but restaurant food can be killer, so I cook most of my stuff at home. I am planning on doing this forever, so it better be full of stuff I like.

No, but I should.

I want to be healthy and full of energy. One of the things I needed to do for that to happen was lose weight.

Please share all dimensions of your healthy lifestyles and what your overall plans and goals are.

I try to stay active physically and mentally. Enjoy my food, my time, my dh and my kids. Keeping everything in a sane balance is what I am striving for.
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 09:43 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/135

I walk my son to school and home from school everyday, it is about 6 miles. I end up doing about 90 mins of this.

I count calories I try to stay between 1200-1550 calories a day

no, to only other thing that I do is make sure I drink a ton of water every day.

I strength train 3 days a week. I do resistance exersises and I punch and kick a heavy bag, I used to do actual kickboxing. Right before I got pregnant with my son, I was training to be in a TKO boxing match. But I got pregnant and could not do it anymore.

I want to both achieve and maintain good health and lose weight.
trishn222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:14 PM   #12  

Height: 5'6"

Treadmill 5-6 times/week upping time by 10% each week (at 22 min. for this week), will start upping speed when I get to 30 min.; Pilates home routine 3/week; limited weight training 3/week; arm strengthing & leg stretching daily

Have recently tried to count calories, but I seem to do worse (more use of food for non-hunger types of situations) when I do. So, as of now, no.

Plan my menu ahead of time & eat only things that include at least 1 SuperFood.

No, I also want to lose weight, which, for me, is a prerequisite to good physical and emotional health.
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 09:36 AM   #13  

Yes, I'm a triathlete and run, bike and swim a couple days a week each. I try to keep myself registered for at least one race to keep motivation up. Ideally I'd strength train too, but lately I haven't had much time for that. We have an infant, so time and energy isn't what it used to be.

Yes. I shoot for 1800 calories on most days, 2300 on long bike days. I'm usually closer to 2000-2100.

Yes. We have healthy staples we keep around the house for snacking and meals, and we prepare and eat what we want and what time allows. For truth in advertising, we also have some, um, non-optimal, choices around the house, but I avoid those most of the time.

I used to do a full body session once or twice a week. Now, I'll try to run or ride some hills for strength work, but it really isn't the same.

I watch my calories and portions to lose weight. These days weight loss is happening very slowly, but it still goes. I try to eat healthy foods for general good health and to try to set an example for my DD. In particular, I've had a monstrous string of really bad colds this year as DD brings home all sorts of new and interesting bugs from daycare, and I really need my immune system working as well as it can get.

I am maintaining a 100+ lb weight loss from a few years ago, and portion control and exercise are critical to that. We are working on cleaning up the diet by adding more healthy foods, whole grains, LOTS of fruit and veggies (I try to get 10 servings daily), and lean protein sources, although DH is a somewhat reluctanct partner in this. I also come to 3FC regularly for support and ideas (mostly on the Maintainer's board), read inspirational material at least once a day, and try to keep a big picture perspective on everything. And finally, a year of sleep deprivation has taught me (once again) how absolutely critical good sleep is to normal human functioning, and I really try hard to get at least 7-8 hours a night, even if that means going to bed at 8 pm.
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:55 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

Very little. We are living in a rental while we build. It's very small. My treadmill is in storage. I do walk some, jump on the trampoline with the kids, and play some basketball, but nothing official. However, I do have a library of videos which I intend to use in the interim after I've visited with my doctor and developed an action plan. When it gets cooler here, I can also get outside more.

Not yet. I have a doctor appointment tomorrow. I want to talk with her about options to help me with appetite suppression to try to get over the humps while I establish new habits.

My plan is to use superfoods, moderate exercise, calorie counting, and a lot of mind work to evaluate the roots of my issues.

The new house will have an exercise room. My treadmill, weight bench, and recumbent bike will be in there. I can start lifting again when it's finished sometime around Christmas.

Yes, but in order to do that, I also need to lose 30 pounds. I think with some pharmaceutical help, I can make the changes I need to make so that I can better manage my weight.

1. I'm burning all my old "weight loss" journals and starting a new journal to help me evaluate my issues about myself. The issues include weight but are not *just* weight. I've lost a lot of weight in my life only to regain it when people start noticing. I need to find out why I do that. I also need to find out why I use food to get back at others when it only hurts me.
2. I've done weight watchers numerous times. I think the packaged foods, while convenient, have worked against me because I still feel deprived. I want to use whole foods to gain better health and make myself feel as if I'm important to myself.
3. I'm asking my doctor for a prescription of some appetite suppressant to help me gain control. While many of my food issues don't stem from appetite, I need to remove as many obstacles as possible. With weight watchers, I did very well on 24 points. No problem losing weight and sticking with those calories until I had to step down to 22 points. It was at that point that I always crashed. I want some help to get below that point so that the weight I have can more easily be maintained with that number of calories.

4. Additionally, I think the energy boost that is reported with some medications will help me initiate an exercise routine and make it a habit that I will continue when the prescription has run out. I'm not one to look for the "easy" way out. I've been battling this monster for 11 years and I'm tired. If it's going to happen, I'm going to have to have some help to do it. Under a doctor's supervision is the best way for me to do that.

Last edited by kateful; 08-22-2006 at 11:30 AM.
kateful is offline   Reply With Quote