Oh My ****!!

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Quote:
    Why do people expect doctors to be all-knowing?
    I DON'T expect doctors to be all knowing. Furthermore, I have never asked one of my doctors for nutritional advice. It has all been given to me unsolicited, and not once did any of the doctors say, "This is just my opinion; I have no actual training in the field of nutrition/dietetics."
  • Sorry, I didn't mean to say what I said in an attacking kind of way. You're right, a doctor should have known better than to give the "three day diet". Not sure why he/she would think that was appropriate. Definitely he/she should provide resources to answer questions he/she can't. I just find that sometimes people expect medicine to be perfect when its much less precise than many other fields, and I see that this may have been the wrong situation to apply this thought to. Everyone makes mistakes, but definitely if a doctor or other professional knows that he/she is not knowledgeable about something, he/she definitely has a non-negotiable responsibility to send the client to the appropriate resource.
  • If I were you I would report this to the Medical Affairs Department and Patient Relations Department at the hospitals in which this Physician is credentialed.
  • Quote:
    Why do people expect doctors to be all-knowing?

I absolutely don't expect her to be all-knowing, but for crying out loud, you have to SEE this thing. I will have to take the time to type it out but I can't show you how poorly typed it is, or that it just says 'Heart Association' no logo, nothing.

I am not a doctor, and it took me 2 seconds flat to see it was not a healthy diet. I'd at least expect her to figure that out. It's a total unhealthy, crash diet.
  • Quote: If I were you I would report this to the Medical Affairs Department and Patient Relations Department at the hospitals in which this Physician is credentialed.

I wouldn't go quite that far, I'll let her know what I found out, thats about it. Shes a nice lady and I won't set out to ruin her. She just made a bad decision not to look into this a little better.
  • Wow, good thing you already know better, hmm (or since you're Canadian should I say eh? )

Not to hijack this thread, but I wanted to tell Misti how great you're looking. I just got back from vacation, and saw your new picture - you look terrific, and so much younger!

Hi Dee - nice to see you over here too.
  • Hi Pat... thanks so much for the nice compliment. I appreciate the encouragement and kind words! Hope you had a nice vacation.
  • Quote: I wouldn't go quite that far, I'll let her know what I found out, thats about it. Shes a nice lady and I won't set out to ruin her. She just made a bad decision not to look into this a little better.

My whole point was that you don't know what this physician is recommending to other people. Perhaps talking to her about it would be the best thing for you. However, having worked in a hospital for over 10 years, I know physicians and they do make mistakes and sometimes they do hurt people by nothing else but their own carelessness. Reporting this to those two departments won't ruin this woman, believe me. I hardly think you have that kind of power. But it was very careless of her. I thought you were outraged, I guess not. I would be.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
  • wow... just wow...
  • Quote: I wouldn't go quite that far, I'll let her know what I found out, thats about it. Shes a nice lady and I won't set out to ruin her. She just made a bad decision not to look into this a little better.
    I agree! IMO this is definitely something that needs to be brought to her attention... but I also don't think it is a big enough issue that you need to create major problems for her.
  • I'm sure in the "Metro Detroit Area" you all have doctors there, probably even enough for all the people that live there. We don't. I've been here almost 4 years, I've never seen a doctor more than twice because they all leave. None of them were very good anyway. This one is probably one of the better ones.

Quote: My whole point was that you don't know what this physician is recommending to other people. Perhaps talking to her about it would be the best thing for you. However, having worked in a hospital for over 10 years, I know physicians and they do make mistakes and sometimes they do hurt people by nothing else but their own carelessness. Reporting this to those two departments won't ruin this woman, believe me. I hardly think you have that kind of power. But it was very careless of her. I thought you were outraged, I guess not. I would be.

• Quote: My whole point was that you don't know what this physician is recommending to other people. Perhaps talking to her about it would be the best thing for you. However, having worked in a hospital for over 10 years, I know physicians and they do make mistakes and sometimes they do hurt people by nothing else but their own carelessness. Reporting this to those two departments won't ruin this woman, believe me. I hardly think you have that kind of power. But it was very careless of her. I thought you were outraged, I guess not. I would be.

Yes, I think every situation is different and the way that someone chooses to handle it has to fall within their own comfort zone. I don't know that I would report it either. I would certainly bring it to her attention and question her as to why she felt the need to recommend such an unhealthy diet. I'm actually really interested in her rationale behind suggesting the diet.

LadyNorth, please post what happened after you discussed this with her...assuming she'll still be there for your next doctor's visit!!!

Also, it is entirely possible to still be outraged, yet choose to handle this in a less aggressive manner...
  • Quote: I do not expect a Dr. to be all-knowing; however, common sense, good judgment, and basic medical knowledge should keep them from giving someone something like the 3 day diet.
    I couldn't agree more!!
    Also, my sister got that exact copy given to her, too! She did it for a bit, but not in a long time...and since she's pregnant now she won't be going back to it anytime soon...I will let her know about it and maybe she remembers the DR she got it from. Thanks for the info!

Melissa
  • This sounds just like a diet that the doctor I was seeing for weight loss "prescribed" for me. There was three days of eating a very strict, high protein diet and then for the next four days you could eat a moderate diet of your choice. Meals included hot dogs (plain), tuna fish (plain), hard boiled eggs and you could eat a small amount of vanilla ice cream. I found this quite hard to follow considering I am a vegetarian and eat whole foods. This was photo copied out of a magazine. Once she heard that I was not interested in taking diet pills/drugs, I think she kind of didn't know what to do with me. She also said that egg McMuffins were the perfect breakfast food, as long as you eat only one and nothing else. Needless to say, I did not continue to see her for very long. The whole thing was a weird experience.
  • Quote: She also said that egg McMuffins were the perfect breakfast food, as long as you eat only one and nothing else.
    ===cracking up=== Don't we WISH sometimes!!

You know... this thread is reminding me again... things such as this are why it is so important to make sure we are educated ourselves as to what healthful foods are, etc., and to make sure we don't just believe everything we read or even hear from what should be a reputable source... our doctors!!

I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo thankful for my fantastic doctor!!!