books that encourage whole foods lifestyles

You're on Page 2 of 4
Go to
  • Is anyone else reading or planning on reading In Defense of Food by Michaal Pollen, the author of The Omnivore's Dilemma? I just started it and it is just as good, if not better, the TOD. I'll give you a complete rundown of it when I'm finished, but I highly recommend it.
  • I just finished and found it very thought provoking and informative.
  • i just found a magazine called Clean Eating, and I love it!
  • Mark Bittman's new book Food Matters is supposed to be great too.
  • And Dr. Pratt - the Superfoods guy - has a new book just out called Superhealth. I've just started it.
  • Quote: And Dr. Pratt - the Superfoods guy - has a new book just out called Superhealth. I've just started it.
    Tell me what you think. I read it over at the bookstore, and thought the organization was TERRIBLE. It's incredibly redundant. He organizes by different goals - heart health, skin health, whatever. But of course, lots of foods contribute to multiple areas. So he covers them again in each section. I didn't really see any one overview covering all the foods in one place in an easy way.
  • Also, the China Study by Dr. T. Colin Campbell was very interesting.
  • Julie - so far I agree with you about the disorganization. Also he references superfoods a lot, as though anyone who picks up this book already knows what they are. SHould be a short overview I'd think. But I'm still only partway through, but I'm skimming in places....
  • I also like Clean Eating.

I am currently reading Ultrametabolism by Dr Mark Hyman (he has also written Ultraprevention and some others). He was the medical director at Canyon Ranch and I was introduced to his book while staying there last year. He advocates whole food eating and talks a lot about the number of toxins in our environment and food and eating to counterbalance them.
  • Fit For Life by Harvey & Marilyn Diamond
    The American Vegetarian Cookbook From the Fit for Life Kitchen
  • Can I add one? Fat Flush Plan by Ann Louise Gittleman
  • I love Clean Eating also.

One book that I immediately thought of when I saw this thread is "Eat This and Live" by Don Colbert. It's very imformative and it's a beautiful book.
  • The Eat-Clean Diet and Clean Eating Magazine by Tosca Reno is absolutely awesome! Recipes, monthly menu plans and corresponding shopping lists.
  • I would have to recommend any book by Dr. John McDougall (the New McDougall Diet, McDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss), Dr. Joel Fuhrman (Eat to Live), or Neal Bernard. I would also highly recommend reading T. Colin Campbell's The China Study - you will never look at our Western diet the same ever again!
  • Quote: The Eat-Clean Diet and Clean Eating Magazine by Tosca Reno is absolutely awesome! Recipes, monthly menu plans and corresponding shopping lists.
    I love both the magazine and book. Tosca also has an Eat Clean cookbook with quick, healthy whole foods. She's also releasing another cookbook in October. Through these magazines and books, I've lost 45 lbs.