Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:51 AM   #31  
Finding Me Again

S/C/G: 235/212/140

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingFree
AMEN! This reflects my thinking as well. Balance is so important to me. I choose not to restrict/eliminate any foods. I also agree that it's important to be able to participate fully in family/group celebrations by enjoying foods that are integral to the event (i.e. Thanksgiving, birthdays, etc.). "Breaking bread" with those we care for is an important part of creating closeness, good memories, a sense of belonging. Being part of a community (whatever that means to each of us) means sharing common experiences and food can be a key part of this, IMO. Not to make too much of this, but it's taking the "whole foods" mindset and applying it to another aspect of our lives. Sharing meals with others can be part of creating "wholeness" in our lives.
You are not making too much of this! That was an excellent example of "wholeness"! I completely get what you mean. Family means food, GOOD food! And I enjoy the food as much as the family togetherness. They go hand in hand, you know? My family came from the south (USA-Virginia mostly) and that is how I was raised! FAMILY + FOOD = LOVE! Let's celebrate! And then go back to healthier foods tomorrow.... Seriously though, moderation, moderation, moderation!
olivia627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 01:21 PM   #32  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeybabies
Wow Suzie, I give ya a lot of credit for dealing with a three year old diabetic. Being a toddler is hard enough...never mind all the other pricks and injections. Poor baby. How did you find out that he is a diabetic???
The symptoms were gradual, nothing that would stand out too much individually, but once put together we knew something wasn't right. DS had lost weight over the course of a month (we thought he was getting ready for a growth spurt), his diapers had started to leak every single night, then he started turning his nose up at any food. When he started drinking water like there was no tomorrow, we took him to the doctor - ran some tests, and the results came back that he had spilled sugar and protein in his urine. We were sent to Children's Hospital, and there they determined that his ketones were through the roof, and blood sugar was 5 times what it should be - DS was in the early stages of diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA), which can be life-threatening. It was a terrifying time - he was admitted and spent a week in hospital before we began our diabetes training. They couldn't let us leave the hospital without learning everything there is to know about caring for a diabetic child - the training lasted 4 days, and we're still learning today (oh, and DS had just turned 2 at the time).

Hope and Breaking Free, you guys have summed up my thoughts and feelings on this very well. What works for one won't necessarily work for another, and right now I'm at peace with the choices we're making, as they work the best for my son. Given that 98% of the time he eats much more healthfully and "cleanly" than the vast majority of the population, I can't let myself get too worked up about the other 2% of the time, when it does give him some balance and a sense that maybe he's not so different from everyone else.
sugarlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:07 PM   #33  
Finding Me Again

S/C/G: 235/212/140

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarlove
Hope and Breaking Free, you guys have summed up my thoughts and feelings on this very well. What works for one won't necessarily work for another, and right now I'm at peace with the choices we're making, as they work the best for my son. Given that 98% of the time he eats much more healthfully and "cleanly" than the vast majority of the population, I can't let myself get too worked up about the other 2% of the time, when it does give him some balance and a sense that maybe he's not so different from everyone else.
Pick and choose your battles...a lesson I learn EVERYDAY while raising young children! You sound like a very caring mommy who wants to make sure your little guy feels like a 'normal' kid. And you won't always be around to feed him. Even as a diabetic, he probably won't always eat what he is supposed to! He's a kid!!! But, you are teaching him how to enjoy those not-so-good things once in a while and in moderation. You are teaching him self control, and that is priceless. If we all learned self-control at a young age, we probably wouldn't be fighting this battle of the bulge now!
olivia627 is offline   Reply With Quote