Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 08-01-2006, 02:57 PM   #1  

Default Dr. Kracker - worth it?

First of all - I've made a few random posts here and there, but I just want to say that I'm so HAPPY this new forum is here!! I'm calorie counting with a focused emphasis on whole, organic (when it matters most) foods - how great to have a place to share with other like-minded people!

Anyway - to the point of my post! I was reading on the menus thread about Dr. Kracker crackers - specifically the pumpkin seed and cheese. This flavour combination is really appealing to me, so I went to the Dr. Kracker website to read more. I really like what I read! I would love to get my hands on some of these crackers to try. The only problem is that I live in Canada, and can't get them here and so can't really just "try" them - I have to commit to buying a case of 6 packages through Amazon. They will need to ship to this US company near the border (I'm right near the border in Canada) that accepts and holds packages for Canadians, so it's a bit of work to get them. I guess I would just like to know if those of you that have tried them think they're worth it? I know taste is subjective, but I would just love to hear your thoughts. How long do the crackers keep? I'll be the only one eating them, and six packages is a lot!

I do eat Ryvita and Ry-Krisp - enjoy them, but would love something with a bit more flavor. I adore cheddar cheese, but try not to eat too much of it, so the idea of it flavouring the cracker makes me happy!

So, any thoughts on these crackers are greatly appreciated! Thanks!
sugarlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 03:08 PM   #2  
hara hachi bu

Six boxes is quite a bit. If it's cheap enough and you didn't like them, you could donate them to a food shelf. I haven't tried the pumpkin seed/cheese combination yet. I've had the seeded spelt ones, and probably some others.

I wish I could just send you a pack.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 03:13 PM   #3  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 253/183/150

Height: 5'4"

Susie -

I really like Dr. Kracker's products. Right now I have a Seeded Spelt one waiting for me and I also like the Three Seed (I think that's what it's called). The Pumpkin & Cheese doesn't appeal to me as I'm not much of a cheese eater.

These crackers, or flatbreads, are different than anything else I've had. First of all, they are loaded w/ seeds, which I love. Makes me feel I'm getting lots of good nutrition & fiber. The crackers are very, very hard (I have to really work to break a piece off - thus burning more calories ?) and very crunchy. I think some people would think they are too hard and dry. I only eat one at a time b/c they're not light on the calories; I usually eat them plain, as part of my grain/starch for a meal. Occasionally, I'll put tuna salad or peanut butter on them. I think they'd be good w/ hummus, too.

All that being said, it's a hard call to know whether you should order a large quantity just to try them. Do you have anyone in the States who could send you one package to try?

They aren't a "must have" food for me but I do like them occasionally. Oh, and I think they'd keep for quite a while. I keep mine in a tupperware-type container in my pantry and they've been fine over several months time.
BreakingFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 03:23 PM   #4  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

I'm in Canada, too, so I've never tried these, but you might want to give Starr Ridge crackers a try. I've tried a few flavors, and really like all of them, and I know they're available in Canada. Very simple ingredients, no wierd preservatives or additives, and the Asiago one is fantastic.
sierra_ttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:59 AM   #5  
it's always something

I ordered the cheese and pumpkin seed variety of Dr Kracker from Amazon. I liked it, but I'm not sure I would order it again. I even gave away a few packages. They were referred to as "flatbreads" but were the hardest things I've ever tried to bite into. I had to break them up into little pieces to eat them. Is it just me? On the other hand, each serving contained only 100 calories, and due to the hardness they took a while to eat, so it was very satisfying.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:05 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I was thinking of ordering the spelt one. I do have a Whole Foods nearby that I am going to go to and see if they have any. I don't eat cracker type things often though so I don't know how much use I would get out of a 6 pack of crackers. I would like to try them before I decide to order some.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:05 PM   #7  
hara hachi bu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC
They were referred to as "flatbreads" but were the hardest things I've ever tried to bite into. I had to break them up into little pieces to eat them. Is it just me?
Oh, good point, Suzanne. Now that you mention it, they were a little bit of a workout for the jaw. I guess I assume that if a cracker is going to meet my nutritional standards (low fat, high fiber, whole grains), it's not going to be a soft, buttery Townhouse.

I usually just throw them in some tomato soup with some chopped kale and it's all good.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:39 PM   #8  

Thanks for all the input, you guys! Sierra, thanks for pointing me towards the Starr Ridge crackers - they sound great and I found out I can get them locally. I'll definitely give them a try.

I'm thinking that I'll hold off on ordering the Dr. Kracker ones for now - the hardness of them has me thinking that I might not easily get through the 6 packages. We may get to Seattle sometime in the next few months, and if so I'll just figure out where to go to pick up a package to try first.
sugarlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:37 PM   #9  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 253/183/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC
They were referred to as "flatbreads" but were the hardest things I've ever tried to bite into. I had to break them up into little pieces to eat them. Is it just me?
Suzanne - See my post a few above yours !
BreakingFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 03:55 PM   #10  
hara hachi bu

Lightbulb Speaking of Crackers ...

Ryvita makes a fat-free Fruit Crunch cracker. I spread half a wedge of Laughing Cow on one of these crackers, and yum. Nothing better. ... Well, OK, there are better things, but it's a pretty easy and convenient combination to keep at your desk at work.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:05 PM   #11  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

I found another crispbread in the store called Kavli:
Ingredients: whole rye flour, whole wheat flour, water and salt.

Two pieces make a 70 calorie, .5 g fat serving. I had one slice with cottage cheese--yum!!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 07:30 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I love the sunflower and cheese more than the pumpkin cheese. They are hard, but I have either a 1/2 sheet or a whole one with cottage cheese or a small piece of regular cheese. I find them to have a lot of flavor and a bit of a different flavor... I love that they are hard and crunchy...

BUT, if you don't like the flavor, and are stuck with 6 boxes, that could be tough!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:22 PM   #13  
Working My Way Back Down

Waaaahhh. My local Fred Meyer (Kroger) has none of these! Dr. Kracker's website says they are available at Fred Meyer stores in the Portland area where I'll be next week. I have no problem ordering 6 if I like them - hope I can find some to try.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:48 PM   #14  
Finding Me Again

S/C/G: 235/212/140

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat
Waaaahhh. My local Fred Meyer (Kroger) has none of these! Dr. Kracker's website says they are available at Fred Meyer stores in the Portland area where I'll be next week. I have no problem ordering 6 if I like them - hope I can find some to try.
A little off topic, but I have to say that when we traveled to the western states, Oregon was my favorite state! I told DH that when he retires, we're moving to Oregon. The people were lovely and the scenery was magnificent! Washington came in second. Man it was nice to be out west....

Anyways, sorry for interjecting this off-topic comment!

Back on topic...

Jen, I've also tried the Kavli crackers. Very, very good! Lots of whole grains and 'substance' to them.
olivia627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:52 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 226/220/140

Height: 5'5"

I like the 3-seed ones as well. I have them with cottage cheese for breakfast
or at least I used to and will again.
catcookie is offline   Reply With Quote