Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:22 PM   #1  
Finding Me Again

S/C/G: 235/212/140

Height: 5'3"

Default Weightloss Progress With Eating SuperFoods/Whole Foods

I know the best possible payoff of eating what we have all committed to eating is the gift of great health. And there are a number of other benefits that will trickle down and enrich our lives in ways we never imagined! It's already started happening to so many of us!

I know that Glory87 started a thread about changes since we've started eating SuperFoods. I wanted to start one that focused on weight loss since we've incorporated SuperFoods into our daily menus.

I want to be healthy. But I also want to lose a significant amount of weight! And while I love eating this way, I'll be honest...what peaked my interest was seeing Glory87's weight loss pics and reading her story!

I believe that some other people who are searching for the 'right' plan would be more inclined to give SuperFoods a chance, if they heard of some positive weight loss stories to go along with our positive health stories.

That said, I hope we all see some significant weight loss while we are seeing our health improve at the same time!

So, don't be shy! Post your weight loss stats here!
olivia627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:28 PM   #2  
Finding Me Again

I began really focusing on eating whole foods and no junk foods several weeks ago. I began with The French Diet and eventually incorporated the SuperFoods (as listed by Steven G. Pratt) on July 28th.

I also began counting calories on that day. I keep my calories between 1400 and 1600 per day. My goal is to lose around 2 to 2.5 pounds a week.

As of today, day 6 on my SuperFood journey, I have lost 3 pounds.

It's not the rapid weight loss that I experienced on Atkins (in the beginning). But I feel better than I ever have in my life! And slow and steady is just fine with me!

Eating this way allows me to focus on the quality of the foods that I am eating, and less on the quantity of weight that is coming off and the speed at which said weight disappears. Don't get me wrong, I like to see the numbers go down, but I'm not scale obsessed anymore! And it feels great!
Old 08-03-2006, 12:04 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Considering the fickleness of the scale, just make sure you make some goals that are NOT scale-related. For me, the toughest part of weight loss was staying motivated without the reward of the scale moving downwards.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:45 AM   #4  
Finding Me Again

I am trying to be careful with this. The focus of eating healthier foods should be just that...to eat healthier foods! I don't want ANY scale related goals, to be honest. But I know that the whole reason I joined this website was to find a way to lose weight. But it's so much more rewarding to focus on eating healthy, and not so much on weight loss, you know?

Daily goals for me are to get in as many SuperFoods as possible! My weightloss goal is to lose 2 to 2.5 lbs per week. However, I am still working on a way to develop a more well rounded goal that involves pounds lost, sizes gone down, the number of SuperFoods eaten daily and how much exercise I've done. I'm not too concerned with some magic number on the scale at this point. But I don't really know how else to measure my weightloss progress, other than to list actual pounds lost, KWIM?

I know that even eating like this, I will hit stalls and plateaus. Fortunately, this way of eating makes that easier to deal with. I can focus on other things...like 'what SuperFoods can I get in tomorrow?' or 'how far can I walk today?' or 'let me see if I can fit into these pants yet.'

I don't want people to focus too much on the scale. But when they do notice a drop, I'd love to hear about it!
Old 08-03-2006, 12:50 AM   #5  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

My journey has been a lifestyle change for the last 7 weeks. As of Monday I have lost 32 pounds. I eat 5-6 meals a day, am never hungry and I have no cravings.
cantforgetthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 02:42 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 224/202/120

Height: 5'4

Wow, now I need to learn more about beans as I know nothing about them except strong beans. LOL Someone mentioned Chili and I have not a clue how to make it!

Thank you all for posting about Superfoods! I think I just found my diet and baby steps life stye change.
Kontessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:11 AM   #7  

I began trying to be healthier in April. So far I have lost 18 lb. It turns out I was eating pretty close to superfoods. I was following good common sense, counting calories and some advice from a book called Dr. Ann's Ten Step Diet: A Simple Plan For Permanent Weight Loss And Lifelong Vitality. When this discussion started I got Dr. Pratt's second book from the library and have incorporated even more superfoods. My weight loss has been slow but this is a way of living I can continue the rest of my life so there is no rush. I have 2 lb to goal but that won't be the end.
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:06 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I started thinking about my weight loss journey and I don't think I've ever lost weight without eating Super Foods. When I lost my initial weight, I ate mostly chicken breast, Spinach, tomatoes, carrots, fish and various other veggies. I would incorporate whole wheat and brown rice as well. I didn't know what Super Foods were but that is what I ate. I've also started to lose weight again and it was also when I started eating Super Foods without knowing they were Super Foods. I think my success is mostly from eating Super Foods and not eating junk.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:27 AM   #9  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Well, I've dropped 4.5 lbs since Monday doing this. Granted, it is mostly water, but I do feel much better eating good things and not crap!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:46 AM   #10  
hara hachi bu

My mom raised us to eat a bunch of healthy, whole foods. We were the only kids on the block lucky enough to have whole-wheat pasta and vegetarian lasagna with bean sprouts (don't try that one, ick). I diverged from that plan in my 20s and early 30s. I started incorporating fast food and restaurant food, which has NOT been conducive to a whole-foods lifestyle! Simply eliminating fast food and embracing the "slow food movement" has basically gotten me back into whole foods. I've lost 65 pounds doing that.

I just started investigating the SuperFoods concepts, and haven't fully incorporated it yet. I love learning about phytochemicals and antioxidants and what they actually do. I share as much of this information as I can with my son, and that gets him to more readily accept a handful of chopped kale in his chicken-noodle soup!
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:16 AM   #11  
Finding Me Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantastica
My mom raised us to eat a bunch of healthy, whole foods. We were the only kids on the block lucky enough to have whole-wheat pasta and vegetarian lasagna with bean sprouts (don't try that one, ick). I diverged from that plan in my 20s and early 30s. I started incorporating fast food and restaurant food, which has NOT been conducive to a whole-foods lifestyle! Simply eliminating fast food and embracing the "slow food movement" has basically gotten me back into whole foods. I've lost 65 pounds doing that.
Funny how life comes full circle, huh? My mom made sure I had healthy food and snacks, while never making candy completely off limits. I remember eating steamed broccoli as an afterschool snack! My fav cereal was frosted mini wheats. It was never forced on me. I just enjoyed healthy foods. As I got a little older (high school age), I began buying junk food. Not all the time, but enough. Then it was off to college. I had my own apartment and began eating how I liked, which was pretty healthy, except for the addiction to white pasta! Now, I am free of that addiction. I really don't miss pasta, especially that overstuffed feeling at the end of the meal.

All of my desire to eat good foods, I attritube to my mom who made healthy foods readily available to me. I am doing the same with my girls.

-Water for 75 to 90 percent of their fluid intake. We have a water cooler, so they just grab their cups and fill them up whenever they are thirsty!

-Plenty of fresh fruit and veggies for snacks

-Whole wheat pancakes with pure maple syrup

-Whole wheat bread for sandwiches

-Whole wheat pasta

These things are second nature for them. And even if down the road they veer off into Fast Food Alley or Junk Food Lane, they (and their bodies) will remember how eating good, whole foods made them feel, and they'll come back 'home'...just like I did. And just like you did!
Old 08-03-2006, 01:54 PM   #12  
Working My Way Back Down

I don't have a scale, so I won't know til I go back to the gym after vacation, but I feel better, I'm not bloated, and maybe it's just wistful thinking, but my "upper ab fat" seems to be decreasing.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 10:48 AM   #13  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I've been eating whole foods for some time now but my husband and I decided about 3 or 4 weeks ago to eat vegetarian meals during the week (breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks) during the week and only eat meat on the weeks (if we felt like it).

We have also taken up Bikram yoga and we've 5lbs each and can feel the changes in our flexibility and strenght in bodies from doing yoga.

I think the combination of eating less meat and doing yoga has really been working for us.
mauvaisroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 11:22 AM   #14  
hara hachi bu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauvaisroux
I've been eating whole foods for some time now but my husband and I decided about 3 or 4 weeks ago to eat vegetarian meals during the week (breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks) during the week and only eat meat on the weeks (if we felt like it).
That's a great idea, to just do meat on weekends. I might try that, now that DS is going to be living at his dad's house (ugh, I still don't like this idea). As it is, I have to remind myself to eat meat/protein every other day or so.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 02:40 PM   #15  

I'm trying to not get too obsessed with the scale, but I agree that I love to hear about how this way of eating/life is having positive effects on weight loss goals As of this morning, I have lost 4 pounds in the last 8 days - and I'm past the water weight stage, so I'm EXTRA happy!!

The beauty of this is that I feel better than I have in a looooong time - not just physically, but mentally too. I feel more "at peace" with the process, so to speak - I love the abundance mentality mentioned before, and the fact that this really is becoming about so much more than just weight. I feel empowered eating this way, and feeding my family this way - maybe that sounds silly, but it's the best way I can describe it!

Great topic - I hope to add more as time passes.
sugarlove is offline   Reply With Quote