Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 08-14-2006, 05:52 PM   #31  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Helen and Nelie,
how did you know when enough food was enough (without counting calories?)...
and same thing about eating carbs in measured quantities, how do you know when to stop eating them (grains I guess?)
do the superfoods books suggest portions or amounts of things like grains vs. beans vs. etc.?
do you have any suggestions?

I feel like I'm constantly asking questions... it's just that I truly do NOT want to count calories but I DO obviously want to lose weight as I eat healthy and exercise.. I want to exercise and eat healthy for so many reasons beyond weight, but as someone said... weight loss is equally important to me at this point.

thank you!
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 06:16 PM   #32  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

The superfoods RX book does suggest portions and it has taken me a while to do portion control. I do have to say when I first started losing weight, I didn't portion at all. I did limit my grains and fruit a bit but I would basically eat all the lean meat, low fat dairy, veggies and legumes I wanted. Now, I basically portion using either small plates (salad plates) or lunch containers. So I know if my plate is brimming with rice or pasta and nothing else, then I need to readjust. I gave up using dinner plates because they are too large. I sometimes measure with a measuring cup to know how much I'm eating rather than eyeballing it. Right now, I'm also cutting back on the amount of snacks I eat during the day. It is more of a refinement process for me. I do calculate calories sometimes (couple times each month) to see where I'm at and my normal day usually contains around 1400-1500 calories which is pretty good for someone who doesn't count calories.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 10:17 PM   #33  
Finding Me Again

S/C/G: 235/212/140

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulone View Post
it's just that I truly do NOT want to count calories
Though this was not directed at me, might I make a suggestion?

I was dreading the thought of counting calories too! Who wants to have to count every single morsel of food that crosses their lips??? I certainly did NOT want to do it. I didn't want to measure, count, weigh or anything else that involved such tedious regimens. HOWEVER, I decided to give FitDay a try and fell in love with it!

It makes tracking calories so very easy! I had never in my life counted a calorie, but have done so meticously for the past 2 1/2 weeks!

I kindly suggest that you give it a try. If only for a few days, a week even. That way you'll get a general idea of how many you are eating per day. You'll be able to look at a portion of something and know appx how many calories are in it.

Even if you don't input all of your daily intake of food into FitDay, atleast take a look at what the nutritional info of different quantities of food is. You can enter in the amount that you plan on eating to see how much fat/protein/carbs/calories it contains.

Check it out if you have the desire and time...it only takes a couple of minutes, I promise!

I only recommend this because I began calorie counting on the same day as I began eating SuperFoods and attribute my weightloss to both of them!

I wish you much success...with whatever method you try! Just be sure to stick to eating SuperFoods!

~Hope~
olivia627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 11:06 AM   #34  

Height: 5'4"

I love pomegranets. I cut in half, and then turn over holding above a plate and beat with a wooden spoon. All the seeds just fall out on the plate.
I saw this on the food network and it works great! Plus, you get a little stress release with all that beating!
vinogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:14 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

After reading about Superfoods, I started incorporating them more into my diet (that's diet, not "diet" ), and I've lost almost 5 lbs. in the past two weeks just with that change alone. Since I'm so close to goal, a time when weight loss slows, I am just stunned what a difference eating Superfoods has made for me. I've not changed my exercise routine nor my portion sizes.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:31 AM   #36  
Finding Me Again

I forgot to post my 3 week progress!

I started working a part time job recently and sometimes find it a challenge to eat the way that I have been for the last 3 weeks. Also, DH & I went to the beach a couple of times & I ate some real no-no's!

At any rate, at my 3 week mark on 8/17/2006, I was up 2 pounds to 211, from 209. I have been diligent in sticking to my SuperFoods & calories every since and am currently down to 208 as of today 8/22/2006! I've also been fighting some kind of viral infection, and eating enough for the day has been difficult, as I have little appetite right now. But, I really make every effort to get it all in!

I'll check back in at my 4 week mark, which will be the morning of 8/25/2006!

EDITED TO ADD: My 4 week weigh in was 208!

Last edited by olivia627; 08-26-2006 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:55 PM   #37  
Finding Me Again

Just checking in with my official 1 month stats!

Official weigh in is 208. I've lost 8 pounds total during my first month.

I've managed to stick to the 'plan' for the first 3 weeks. During my 4th week, I veered off a little bit with trying to juggle too much at one time. I'm back in the game now, and look forward to my 2nd month of SuperFoods & calorie counting!

Keep it going everyone!
Old 08-29-2006, 06:58 PM   #38  

great job olivia! keep it up. i just started eating superfoods/whole foods the past week or so, i hope i can look forward to success too.
justjodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:31 PM   #39  

Congrats Olivia. Eight pounds is GREAT!
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:53 AM   #40  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 253/183/150

Height: 5'4"

WTG, Olivia!
BreakingFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 02:16 AM   #41  
Finding Me Again

Thanks guys! Another pound down this morning to 207! 1 pound away from my 10 pound goal!
Old 09-02-2006, 02:21 AM   #42  
Opulent

GO, Olivia! Great job
Yogini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 10:46 AM   #43  
Trucker Gal!

S/C/G: 302/292.8/185

Height: 5'11

Way to go Olivia!
I can't wait till next week when I'm moved. I've been living with no kitchen as I'm trying to get moved while being on the road half the time. Very frustrating! Don't think I've gained any real weight, just retaining some of the water that I wasn't before.
LadyNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 10:51 AM   #44  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
The superfoods RX book does suggest portions and it has taken me a while to do portion control.
I suggested the Superfoods Rx book to a relative that needs to lose 200 pounds. She started right away eating the portions recommended and gained 4 pounds! Since then, she has adjusted portions. I need to check back on her progress.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 04:05 PM   #45  
Finding Me Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
I suggested the Superfoods Rx book to a relative that needs to lose 200 pounds. She started right away eating the portions recommended and gained 4 pounds! Since then, she has adjusted portions. I need to check back on her progress.
When I first read the book, I wasn't sure how much I should eat to lose weight. I realized that this book is not a weightloss book. It's more like a guide to healthy eating. So I decided to watch my caloric intake, while pretty much only eating SuperFoods. I don't get in his recommended portions daily. However, I do get in several SuperFoods and just keep the portions in line with my calorie goal for the day.

You really have to tweak this to fit your own personal goals and eating plan. Good luck to your relative! And please post her progress after you speak to her!