Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 08-05-2006, 08:17 AM   #16  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DollyR
Jayde, Do you have the bean sprout soup recipe?
Sure... even though I'm too busy to go to the Korean market to get the sprouts, I'll share the recipe.

100 g of soybean sprouts (콩나물 kongnamul)... for those of you who might not know these are NOT the sprouts you usually find in a supermarket. Those sprouts are mung bean sprouts. Soybean sprouts look like this:

http://health.chosun.com/wdata/photo...2000006_01.jpg

1 piece of daikon radish (무 mu) sliced into long matchsticks... preferably use the short fat Korean kind.... the skinny long Japanese kind does not taste the same. I usually prep the sprouts by pinching off the dry tail. It takes time but is a pleasant chore if you do it while talking to someone or even watching a movie or sitting outside. I know several people who don't do this but just rinse the sprouts. I prefer the tail off. The soup looks better, tastes better, and is more pleasant to eat this way.

2 green onions sliced in thin 3 cm long strips
1 fresh red pepper sliced into 3 cm strips
1 Tbsp minced garlic
a little sea salt
about 4 cups of fresh cold water

step 1: put the cold water in a pot with the sprouts and radish. Boil for 15 min.

step 2: when the sprouts seem to be just cooked through add the salt, green onion, red pepper, garlic, ..cook for a while longer until the flavor has seeped into the broth. Add a little red pepper flakes (not the kind with seeds) and cooked sliced beef if desired. Or just eat it vegetarian.

Usually if I am going to add beef.. I cook it differently. I chop up a tablespoon or 2 of beef, mix it with crushed sesame seed, add a little garlic and sea salt, and then brown it very slightly in the pan before adding the water and sprouts...oh, if you cook it this way the radish becomes an option because the soup will take on flavor from the beef. The radish still makes a good soup I just don't want you to think that it is necessary... make the soup even if you don't have it.

Last edited by Jayde; 08-05-2006 at 08:28 AM.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 10:46 AM   #17  
hara hachi bu

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivia627
Angelina is 1. Olivia is 5.
Liv and Gingie! Darling names for two very beautiful girls!
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 04:24 PM   #18  
Finding Me Again

S/C/G: 235/212/140

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantastica
Liv and Gingie! Darling names for two very beautiful girls!
I'm a very proud mom! Thanks for your kind words!
olivia627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 08:02 PM   #19  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde
Sure... even though I'm too busy to go to the Korean market to get the sprouts, I'll share the recipe.

100 g of soybean sprouts (콩나물 kongnamul)... for those of you who might not know these are NOT the sprouts you usually find in a supermarket. Those sprouts are mung bean sprouts. Soybean sprouts look like this:

http://health.chosun.com/wdata/photo...2000006_01.jpg

1 piece of daikon radish (무 mu) sliced into long matchsticks... preferably use the short fat Korean kind.... the skinny long Japanese kind does not taste the same. I usually prep the sprouts by pinching off the dry tail. It takes time but is a pleasant chore if you do it while talking to someone or even watching a movie or sitting outside. I know several people who don't do this but just rinse the sprouts. I prefer the tail off. The soup looks better, tastes better, and is more pleasant to eat this way.

2 green onions sliced in thin 3 cm long strips
1 fresh red pepper sliced into 3 cm strips
1 Tbsp minced garlic
a little sea salt
about 4 cups of fresh cold water

step 1: put the cold water in a pot with the sprouts and radish. Boil for 15 min.

step 2: when the sprouts seem to be just cooked through add the salt, green onion, red pepper, garlic, ..cook for a while longer until the flavor has seeped into the broth. Add a little red pepper flakes (not the kind with seeds) and cooked sliced beef if desired. Or just eat it vegetarian.

Usually if I am going to add beef.. I cook it differently. I chop up a tablespoon or 2 of beef, mix it with crushed sesame seed, add a little garlic and sea salt, and then brown it very slightly in the pan before adding the water and sprouts...oh, if you cook it this way the radish becomes an option because the soup will take on flavor from the beef. The radish still makes a good soup I just don't want you to think that it is necessary... make the soup even if you don't have it.
Are you supposed to cover the sprouts when you first boil them to avoid the smell?
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 11:49 PM   #20  
The Beauty of Balance

Quote:
Are you supposed to cover the sprouts when you first boil them to avoid the smell?
I cover it so it will boil quickly and retain heat.. the smell doesn't bother me... does it smell bad to you?
Old 08-06-2006, 09:32 AM   #21  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde
I cover it so it will boil quickly and retain heat.. the smell doesn't bother me... does it smell bad to you?
When I make them as a side dish in Korea, the cookbook I use and my cleaning lady both said to cover them as they get a strong fish smell when they boil. I took the lid off once and ....yup they were right!!
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 06:40 AM   #22  
The Beauty of Balance

Quote:
When I make them as a side dish in Korea, the cookbook I use and my cleaning lady both said to cover them as they get a strong fish smell when they boil. I took the lid off once and ....yup they were right!!
Hmmm, maybe I haven't noticed it because I am so used to it.. or compared to other Korean soups it is not as strong. Or maybe my covering it up to keep the heat in has been a good thing.

Anyway, soybean PASTE soup (dwaenjang chigae) is one that you really want to prepare yourself for. It is a lot stronger than the mild Japanese miso soup and has a reputation for being so pungent that people hesitate to make it in an apartment setting because the smell bothers neighbors.. especially people who are not used to Korean food.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:42 AM   #23  

Hi!!
I know one interesting recipe!
It's a Korean soup with beef and can help with Hangover!!
Korean Hangover Soup Recipe
Delicious!
booo57 is offline   Reply With Quote