3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Whole Foods Lifestyle (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/whole-foods-lifestyle-209/)
-   -   Yum! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/whole-foods-lifestyle/90649-yum.html)

sugarlove 08-02-2006 01:00 PM

Yum!

I started cooking early for lunch today, and made the following recipe from delicious. magazine (it's an Australian food/cooking magazine that I LOVE). It's really tasty - I'm glad I decided to give it a go!

I've converted the measurements as closely as I can - if you have a kitchen scale it will help.

CHIVE AND BEETROOT COUSCOUS

300g couscous (approx. 1 1/3 cups)
300ml vegetable stock or water, boiling hot (approx. 1 1/4 cups)
1 large cooked and peeled beetroot (about 250g, or about 8 oz)
1 large beefsteak tomato (about 250g, or about 8 oz), finely diced
45g fresh chives, snipped (about 1.5 oz)
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
100g soft goat’s cheese, crumbled or sliced (about 3.5 oz)

Place the couscous in a large heatproof bowl, add the boiling vegetable stock or water and season. Cover with a clean tea towel and leave for 5 minutes, then fluff up into separate grains with a fork. Set aside to cool.

Finely dice the beetroot, reserving any juices. Add the beetroot and, if possible, 2 tablespoons of its juices to the couscous, then add the tomato and most of the chives, reserving a few to garnish. Stir well until the couscous takes on the colour of the beetroot.

Whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, some sea salt and pepper, and stir through the couscous. Leave for 30 minutes before serving – it gets pinker the longer it’s left standing.

Top with the crumbled or sliced goat’s cheese and garnish with the reserved chives to serve.

(To easily cook the beet, just place it in a pan and cover it with water and boil until it's tender. Drain the water, and under cool running water just rub the skin - it will slide off easily. You can also roast the whole, unpeeled beet, too, and peel it the same way, but this does take more time).

I eliminated the cheese, and it still tastes great!! Other than the vegetable stock, beets, and cheese (if you even add it), the entire recipe is comprised of superfoods :)

BTW - is it correct that beets AREN'T on the official list? For some reason I was sure they were :?: I'm probably wrong, but for some reason I've always considered them a superfood. No matter - they're great for you, anyway :D

Enjoy!

trishn222 08-02-2006 06:49 PM

That looks delicous I am going to have to try it.

WaterRat 08-02-2006 06:54 PM

I'm having trouble imagining beets and tomato together. Might have to try this though. We grow our own beets and tomatoes anyway, and I have couscous.

sugarlove 08-02-2006 07:17 PM

I wasn't sure what to expect, either, but was pleasantly surprised :) It's very fresh tasting, and was really nice - even my preschooler ate it!

I think it would be easy to adapt, too - you could always leave the tomatoes out and just stick with the beets, chives, lemon, etc.