The superfoods list with sidekicks (from Superfoods RX by Pratt - books 1 & 2)

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • Quote: You're having fun with the CHOCOLATE... not just the smilies!
    So, so true! It's my nightly indulgence! I truly look forward to it EVERY SINGLE NIGHT! And a little goes a long way!

Nelie, thanks for the list!
  • with the superfoods - the First main suggestion is better than the sidekicks?
  • Quote: with the superfoods - the First main suggestion is better than the sidekicks?
    Yes, the main superfood is better than its sidekicks.. but the sidekicks are also very important as you need variety.
  • I thought it might be helpful for newbies to understand that this is the Stephen Pratt SuperFood list, so they'll know what you are talking about There are actually a lot of lists called SuperFoods and they can vary quite a bit.
  • Good point, Suzanne. I've seen many of them especially since Glory sparked the flame. Most are so similar.. but some are verrrrrrrry different. Perhaps the title of this thread should be edited to say "Pratt's superfoods list with sidekicks....."

It would be interesting to see what a superfood list would look like from different regions or countries. Especially if you are trying to eat more foods that are grown locally.
  • I tried to edit the title of the thread and I could only edit the title of the original message? I did put a comment about where the Superfoods list came from.
  • Nelie,

Thank you so much for getting the list together and adding the servings.

It will really help.
  • I did order the Pratt Superfoods RX book, so thats what I am looking to follow.
    I wondered, where (if anywhere) would cantaloupe fit in?? I eat it usually a few times a week in a fruit salad.
    I have never had a Pomegranate, not sure i'd even know what to do with one! LOL!!

What does Honey do for us? I haven't had honey in years!
  • There are a lots of fruits and veggies that don't appear on the Super Foods list simply because there are certain foods that are well better than the others. It doesn't mean cantaloupe isn't good, just that it doesn't make it to the top of the list.
  • Was wondering if someone knew: What is the reason for Oranges? I have read before the acids are not good for a belly prone to heart burn.
  • Quote: Was wondering if someone knew: What is the reason for Oranges? I have read before the acids are not good for a belly prone to heart burn.
    There's a lot of info here, but to summarize the chapter, oranges are a super food because:
    • Oranges contain Vitamin C, fiber, folate, limonene, potatssium, polyphenols and pectin
    • There are studies that suggest that oranges support heart health and prevent cancer, diabetes, stroke and a host of other chronic ailments
    • 20-30% of America's adults have marginal blood levels of vitamin C and 10% are reportedly deficient
    • Vitamin C is water soluable and not retained in the body, so constant replenishment from dietary sources is necessary
    • Citrus flavanoids are found in the tissue, fruit, pulp and skin (which is why eating whole fruit is better than drinking juice), they are antioxidant and antimutagenic (the ability to prevent cells from mutating and initiating one of the first steps in the development of cancer)
    • Two of the flavanoids in citrus (naringin in grapefruit and hesperidin in orange) occur only rarely in other plans and are essentially unique to citrus
    • Rutin, a flavanoid found in citrus and black currents, has an anti-inflammatory effect, helps protect capillaries from age-related breakdown
    • A study found that drinking a glass of orange juice daily reduced the risk of stroke by 25%
    • A human clinical trial showed that orange juice was shown to elevate HDL (good cholesterol) while lowering LDL (bad cholesterol)
    • Citrus fruits (especially tangerines) are one of the richest sources of high quality pectin (present in the white lining of citrus fruits) a type of dietary fiber
    • Pectin is good for reducing cholesterol and stabalizing blood sugar, an orange contains 3 grams of dietary fiber
    • Oranges also help prevent cardiovascular disease by supplying folate (also called folacin or folic acid), folate is one of the B vitamins
    • Folate defiency is known to be among the most common vitamin deficiencies in the world
    • Folate plays an important role in the prevention of cardiovascular disease, essential for the maintenance of normal DNA and also plays a role in the prevention of colon and cervical cancers and possibly breast cancer

Here's another website for nutritional info about oranges.
  • Glory, I was reading all of the info about oranges in the book and was going to respond, but was like, OMG, it'll take me forever to write all of this in a post! Thanks for taking the time and responding. When it comes to good nutrition, you can't short cut it and give quick, inadequate responses to someone's question. Just wanted to let you know how much I (and I'm sure many others!) appreciate your informative posts!
  • Kontessa, I've also heard that some people have problems with Orange Juice because of the acid. The fiber that are in oranges have protective properties and are much better for you than orange juice. In the book, he talks about how good the peel, the pith and the insides are all good for you.
  • Thanks!
    HI Nellie, Thanks for making a list for the foods. I was just asking someone
    last night about whole foods. I think iam going to give them a try.
    How many ounces of salmon and protien are you supposted to have daily? I read the list!! sorry!!
    Thank you for the info. Iam new here. My name is LINda.Have a great day.
    Hugs LInda
  • Nelie, Thank You!
    Thank you for all the info Nelie! It was wonderful to see that the wholefoods books explain things and use outside studies to support it's backing of certain foods being better then others.

Blessings,
    Kontessa

Quote: Kontessa, I've also heard that some people have problems with Orange Juice because of the acid. The fiber that are in oranges have protective properties and are much better for you than orange juice. In the book, he talks about how good the peel, the pith and the insides are all good for you.