SuperFoods! How many did you eat today?

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • Quote: I've been trying to follow the guy from Harvard's School of Diet and Nutrition's super foods eating plan every day.
    Do you mean Walter Willet? I'd like to get his book next. A friend had good things to say about it.

It's nice to be part of a community of folks who all have similar goals !
  • Well, yesterday's dinner didn't, well, let's just say it wasn't "in the plan."

Today:
    B: cold cereal with 1% milk and blueberries (sf)
    whole wheat toast with natural pb (sf)

S1: hard boiled egg
    9 organic blue corn chips

L: salmon salad (sf)
    orange pepper strips (sf)

S2: cottage cheese with blueberries (sf) and raspberries (sf)

D: ??? DH has left, so I need to plan for just me the next 4 nights, then I'm gone too, and will be working at making good choices at restaurants and with conference food.
  • Quote: Do you mean Walter Willet? I'd like to get his book next. A friend had good things to say about it.
    I have both of Willet's books. The one that came out in 2001 and his newest one. The first was very technical but worth the read. This second was also very eye opening.

Actually it was his first book that had the greatest impact on me. I felt like someone had just hit me over the head. I was spinning with so much new information and it was great.
  • How Many Superfoods Eaten Today?
    Well, Olivia627 got me started doing this whole SF thing and I just started yesterday.

Today I ate:

1 cup Fibre One, blueberries, 1/2 cup skim milk

Spinach salad, olives, tomatoes, carrots, EVOO dressing, turkey

salmon cake, spelt w/onions, mushrooms and red peppers.

So - how many superfoods is that? I think 9 of them. I'm loving this so far!
  • Not counting duplicates and using both books, I count 9 too:

Fiberone/spelt
    Blueberries
    Spinach
    Tomatoes
    Carrots
    Olive Oil
    Turkey
    Salmon
    onions
  • Quote: Well, Olivia627 got me started doing this whole SF thing and I just started yesterday.
    Hiiiiiiiiiii mimi!

Oh, did I mention WELCOME! Now, if we can just get KJ to join the SuperFood party!
  • Today... Only 10

Lunch was a disaster. I brought mine to work but was invited to a catered lunch.. It was awful.. I am so disappointed in the choices and that someone would actually call this lunch. I should have just eaten what I brought even if it was rude..

steel cut oats
    soy milk
    flax seed
    orange juice

strawberries, grapes, cranraisins

onion
    garlic
    sesame seeds (so many in a lot of different side dishes at dinner)
    black beans

I had other healthy things at dinner that aren't superfoods... (perilla leaves, watercress, kobi (fern), spicy soup.
  • Not bad jayde! Sorry about lunch, though. I agree, next time eat what you brought. Your health is more important than 'etiquette'! And who knows, maybe you'll inspire them to offer a SuperFood lunch next time!!! Wishful thinking???

Well, I had:

oats, wheat germ
    dried wild blueberries
    honey
    walnuts
    salmon
    onion
    EVOO
    pineapple
    turkey
    broccoli
    carrots
    tea
    soymilk
    cherries
    Oh, and of course, DARK CHOCOLATE!!!!!!!!

15 in all, with total calories of 1512
  • oohhh.. wait.. 11 today

I did have a piece of dark chocolate... now how could I have forgotten that?
  • Quote: oohhh.. wait.. 11 today

I did have a piece of dark chocolate... now how could I have forgotten that?
    I'm at a loss... Dark chocolate...forgettable? It hurts to even write it!
    Okay, I need to go to bed...and dream chocolate dreams!!!! You know, I went to Hershey Park in Hershey, PA when I was in grade school and bought this brown coffee mug with white letters that read: Give Me Chocolate, Or Give Me Death!

Guess it still holds true!
  • Quote: You know, I went to Hershey Park in Hershey, PA when I was in grade school and bought this brown coffee mug with white letters that read: Give Me Chocolate, Or Give Me Death!
    As a kid I lived near a chocolate factory in Massachusetts. In second grade I could smell the chocolate while playing in the school yard... when the wind blew just right you could almost taste it in the backyard.

I can still smell it... though I am miles and miles and years and years away.

Dream chocolate dreams... there are no calories in that!
  • Jayde, that is an awesome memory to have and to share with your children, grandchildren, great-grands, etc!

(You know you'll live to see your great-great-great-great grandchildren eating the way we're eating!!! And you'll be the spunkiest old lady on the block!!)

My mom grew up in Philadelphia for a while and could smell the aroma of the Nabisco factory. She can still remember the smell, too! Thinking back to your memory, I'm sure it just makes you smile...
  • Quote:
    originally posted by jayde
    As a kid I lived near a chocolate factory in Massachusetts.
    Ha! I know exactly where that is! I grew up south of Boston and I remember the chocolate smell very well.
  • Quote: Ha! I know exactly where that is! I grew up south of Boston and I remember the chocolate smell very well.
    I'm soooo jealous... Actually, where I'm soon to be moving is next to a coffee 'factory' and the rich aroma saturates the air every morning and at different times of the day. I'm not a big coffee drinker, but the fresh roasted smell is so nice!
  • Quote: Ha! I know exactly where that is! I grew up south of Boston and I remember the chocolate smell very well.
    hmmmm it was like heaven! Mansfield Ma.. I visited there several months ago... not the same without the chocolate smell. (the factory is gone)