Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 07-30-2006, 10:57 PM   #1  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Default For me whole foods lifestyle means....

A brand new forum and new home for the Mediterranean Chicks I am so pleased just thinking of all the possibilities.

Whole foods lifestyle... what does it mean to you?

For me it means _____________________________________________

Lets fill in the blank.... and begin....
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 11:02 PM   #2  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

For me whole foods lifestyle simply means living naturally...

choosing or harvesting variety of healthy foods close to nature
cooking these foods for and with my family.. putting love into all that we cook
enjoying what we eat and looking forward to what we will eat

Most importantly for me it is a perspective on my proper place in nature.. constantly reminding myself that we are a part of the food chain.. and dependent upon our environment...
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 11:12 PM   #3  
Finding Me Again

S/C/G: 235/212/140

Height: 5'3"

For me it means eating whole, untampered with, pure, energizing, good-for-me food. After eating like this, I feel more 'whole' inside and out. The whole foods that I am nourishing my body with is allowing me to work with my body, instead of against it with toxic food choices.

In a nutshell, living a whole foods lifestyle means being in complete harmony with my body. It means listening and responding to what it needs on a daily basis. It means respecting it, cherishing it, nourishing it, loving it. Things I've never done before! (Tearing up here.)

Giving my body proper nourishment now will enable it to give back so much to my life: energy, great health, great skin, healthy bones, longetivity, happiness, a life free of 'age related diseases', inner peace.

I owe myself, my family and my body atleast that!

**Thanks for this thread Jayde. It reminded me of what I was fighting for! My health, my life, my happiness!**
olivia627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 11:50 PM   #4  
hara hachi bu

Default For Me, It Means ...

... eating foods as close to their natural state - as unprocessed - as possible.
... knowing where our food comes from.
... having a garden, or at least a good farmer's market.
... eating foods in season.
... purchasing foods grown by local farmers, instead of shipped in from corporate farms.
... educating ourselves on nutrition.
... seeking out local farms for meat purchases.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 01:48 AM   #5  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

eating seasonally, locally, and naturally.
Eating foods that don't contain unpronouncable ingredients.
Understanding everything that's in my food, and what that can do to/for my body.
Eating for health and longevity, not just to lose weight.
Listening to my body and making eating choices that provide the energy and nutrition I need to live the best life I can.
sierra_ttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:18 AM   #6  
Margaret1975

S/C/G: 155/151/135

staying away from the over-processed, nutrient-deficient, high calorie foods and eating foods that I can pronounce
margaret1975109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:23 AM   #7  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaret1975109
staying away from the over-processed, nutrient-deficient, high calorie foods and eating foods that I can pronounce
Well said Margaret. I think the same way. Trying to get all the junk out of your cupboards and eating "clean food".
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:31 AM   #8  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Also...trying not to eat stuff with corn syrup added. I can not believe how it is added to so many different foods!
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:58 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

One of my favourite quotes .... anything you do after you pick it ... is processing.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:39 AM   #10  
CURVY VIXEN

S/C/G: 205/194/128

Height: 5'2''

means to me, vitality and health. Natural vitamins
purplepansy912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:42 AM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Darlene, my goal is to eat no foods that have any added sweeteners, especially artificial sweeteners. I avoid sugar and sugar substitutes. This weekend, I thought I'd hit the store and see if I could find a no sugar added juice bar as a treat for the hot days but I couldn't find one. I know I've seen them before but the particular grocery store I went to didn't have it.

Whole foods for me basically means eating basic good nutrition and avoiding processed foods. I'm wary on breads a bit but I do indulge in them once in a while if they are full of good ingredients. I enjoy eating the basics without adding salt or sugar. I also am trying to decrease the amount of meat I eat just because I know I can get good nutrition from veggies, grains, nuts and legumes.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:49 AM   #12  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

To me a wholefoods lifestyle means buying fresh food form local sources as much as possible (organic when available and affordable), avoiding processed and packaged foods and fast food, I don't use splenda or "egg substitute" when I cook ( I use real eggs and healthy oils). I enjoy cooking in a healthy manner with fresh ingredients and feeling good about what I am eating.

I grow herbs, tomatoes and flowers in my gardens and don't use pestisides

I also think about what impact my lifestyle choices have on the environment and our natural resources and helping others - i.e. fair trade products, products that are not tested on animals and dealing with companies that I feel are in sync with my ideals.

I am against "frankenfoods" and the way some companies try to pressure farmers and our governments so that they can eventually control the world's food supply.

I am also concerned with the chemicals, additives, dyes, and hidden sugars in my food which is why I don't buy much packaged food. If there is a list of 20 ingredients (most of which I can't pronounce) then I don't buy it.
mauvaisroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:24 AM   #13  
it's always something

For me, it means paying more attention to my health and nutritional needs. I think it means additive free foods, and the fresher the better. My body just feels better when I eat this way. It also means being kinder to the environment, by shopping for local produce, and purchasing foods with minimal processing because that means it had less of an impact on the environment. I read that frozen fruits and veggies take 10 times more energy to produce than locally picked fresh produce.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 02:55 PM   #14  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Where has this section been all my life!!!

Whole Foods means to me:
Taking responsibilty for the consumption and production of foods
-being educated on the processes that gets food to my table
-being educated on natural and alternative sources
-from Phantastica-eating foods as close to their natural state - as unprocessed - as possible.
-bridging the connection between the benefits of whole foods and how much better it does my body and mind.
-foods with short (if any) ingredient lists. If it sounds man made, it's limited
-foods in the most whole, natural and untouched state
- a healthy disdain for the freezer section of my grocery store
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 02:57 PM   #15  
hara hachi bu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB
One of my favourite quotes .... anything you do after you pick it ... is processing.
Good to keep in mind, SusanB!

Mauvaisroux, "Frankenfoods!" Funny.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote