Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 07-31-2006, 03:22 PM   #16  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
- a healthy disdain for the freezer section of my grocery store
Well, to an extent. Many frozen fruits and veggies are better than what you can buy fresh some seasons of the year. I depend on frozen in the winter. I freeze what I grow, but some times I need more variety and then grocery frozen is very helpful. Of course, in the summer I am definitely eating fresh - either from my garden, a local farmer, or even the grocery.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 03:50 PM   #17  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Actually, I really enjoy organic frozen peas. They are pricey but I just stretch them out by throwing a handful into stir fries, curried veg dishes or morrocan veg dishes - they are great with potatoes and cauliflower and a bit of curry.
mauvaisroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:06 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

For me it is getting yummy natural foods that I don't have to feel guilty about eating.
Putting stuff in my body that it can easily process and use to make it function better
Really fighting not just the battle of the bulge but the battle of poor health.
Knowing that these foods are the best that I can possibly eat.
trishn222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:14 PM   #19  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Absolutely ladies- I certainly blend frozen fruits into my juices and stuff. I guess I just mean that I don't build entire meals around the freezer section. Frozen dinners, pizzas, the usual suspects, ya know what I'm sayin'?
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:17 PM   #20  
Working My Way Back Down

Oh - processed frozen foods! Totally agree. In fact, I have some lean cuisines in my freezer that have been there over a year. Guess I ought to throw them out, eh?
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:39 PM   #21  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishn222
Really fighting not just the battle of the bulge but the battle of poor health. Knowing that these foods are the best that I can possibly eat.
Touche!
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:22 PM   #22  

Right Junebug! I can't stand the taste of frozen meals -blech!

I do however buy plain frozen shrimp, the organic peas and the good shrimp dumplings (frozen) from a chinese dumpling shop near my house. The only things in them are the shrimp and rice flour, some salt and 2 other ingredients - they are awesome and they are steamed not fried.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:52 PM   #23  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 253/183/150

Height: 5'4"

For me it means striving to eat more nutrient-dense, less-or-minimally processed foods. I balance this against time constraints and my other obligations/chosen activities in an attempt to achieve balance among all the ways I am working toward better health in my life.
BreakingFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:12 AM   #24  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

Eating to live, not living to eat. Feeling the best I've ever felt in my life.
Libby1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:21 AM   #25  
The Beauty of Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingFree
For me it means striving to eat more nutrient-dense, less-or-minimally processed foods. I balance this against time constraints and my other obligations/chosen activities in an attempt to achieve balance among all the ways I am working toward better health in my life.

"....an attempt to achieve balance among all the ways I am working towards better health in my life..."

B-A-L-A-N-C-E

I want it to be my middle name.

Last edited by Jayde; 08-02-2006 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:28 AM   #26  

"As close to the way it grows as possible" has been my motto for awhile now. I'm still struggling to find an affordable source of organic meats, but my local farmer's market knows I'll stop by on saturday and pick up my fruits&veggies.

Whole foods to me also means lessening my negative impact on the environment, and recycling what things do come through my house (hubby is following his own way of eating, which involves some packaged snacks). I wish I could have a garden and grow my own veggies. We're in a condo in Southern CA, though, and what little 'soil' we do have that I can plant in is actually sand. I need to investigate planters!
mousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:38 AM   #27  

I love everyone's ideas on this subject! I find them very informative and it's good to meet some like-minded people.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:22 PM   #28  
The Beauty of Balance

I'm bumping this up for new members who have recently joined us. I think it is wonderful that so many of us see this as more than the foods we eat. Whole Foods Lifestyle is how we approach living.
Old 08-13-2006, 03:18 PM   #29  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde View Post
I think it is wonderful that so many of us see this as more than the foods we eat. Whole Foods Lifestyle is how we approach living.

Illustrative point:

I went to a birthday party last night, and had half a bottle of alcohol (about 8 ounces of Smirnoff Ice) and some crackers (processed food). I was okay with it, and I had a good time. We got home and I went to bed.

This morning I woke up and ALL I could think about was "detoxing" and getting on my treadmill, and getting back to my healthy life! I was (and still am) completely focused on giving my body the foods it needs to "clean itself out", and resuming my drive on the healthy lifestyle highway. So far today I've had an apple with peanut butter, walked on the treadmill for 5k (just shy of 58 minutes), and am sitting here eating a banana.

In the past I would have had more to drink, definitely more to eat, and I'd have spent the day after sitting around the house being lazy. As it is, I'm actually thinking I'll get back on the treadmill later this afternoon for another 30 minutes!

I don't know where that other person who would have lazed around today went, but I'm liking the person who's living in her place!
mousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 12:31 AM   #30  
Finding Me Again

S/C/G: 235/212/140

Height: 5'3"

Yes, yes, yes, mousie! Sunday (yesterday) we went for a family outing to Rehoboth Beach, Delaware and I treated myself with all the wrong things! I started the day off right: whole grain bread, kefir, mixed nuts. But then we went to Bob Evans. I wasn't even trying to eat off balance, but was unsure of what to eat. I got the Monterey steak dinner (sirloin with sauteed mushrooms and onions, topped with cheese, grilled veggies (zucchini, squash, carrots and onions) and a baked potato with a smidgin of sour cream). I scraped off the cheese and ate all of the rest of the meal. I drank unsweetened iced tea with lemon. I didn't think it was too bad until I got home and looked up the calories: 1000 (appx)! Then we went to the boardwalk and everyone else got pizza and soda or juice. I didn't want that and looked and looked for something that would satisfy me. I ended up eating a cheeseburger. Then it was off to Wawa for a 22oz iced chocolate mint iced coffee and a jalapeno pretzel. I must have consumed like 2100 calories today and not too many SuperFoods at all.

I don't feel like a failure, but I feel like I mistreated my body yesterday. I didn't show it the respect and the love that it deserves and can only get from good, healthy whole foods. Eating that crap feels like I am abusing my body and it really hurts afterwards. But, it was the only time I've done that kind of damage in the 16 days that I've been eating Super/whole foods.

Today, I am back to respecting, loving and nurturing my body the way that it should be. And believe me, this won't happen again. The after effects are really crappy. I need to better plan our outings. It was a spur of the moment thing and I hadn't gone grocery shopping yet, so I had nothing to pack for my snacks. Lesson learned...

Oh, and did I mention the two handfuls of caramel corn??? Now, usually I'd have eaten half the container, but two handfuls were plenty. I can atleast be proud of myself for that!
olivia627 is offline   Reply With Quote