Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 07-30-2006, 07:54 PM   #211  
Finding Me Again

S/C/G: 235/212/140

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat
Chum salmon, also called Dog salmon, is much paler and has a softer flesh than the "Big 3" (i.e. chinook, coho, sockeye). It's just as good for you.
So, I've been eating Dog Salmon???? Oh well, it sure tastes GREAT! Thanks for clearing that up for me! Is it one of the least desirable types? Or does it really matter, particularly to Alaskans who can fish for the other types?
olivia627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:05 PM   #212  

I've been following this thread with interest, even though I'm not part of this group. I tried the Fage yogurt today, even though I'm not a huge yogurt fan. I had plain low fat with blueberries and strawberries. The texture was much better than Dannon plain. Thanks for showing me something good that's good for me. I hate milk so I'm always trying to find calcium foods.
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:34 PM   #213  
Finding Me Again

Speaking of yogurt, I went to Trader Joe's today and picked up Strawberry Kefir. I also bought Strawberry Lo-fat yogurt, Odwalla blueberry smoothie, organic blueberry spread, soynuts, dried blueberries and Ghirardelli dark chocolate. I saw the Sockeye salmon for $9.99/lb! Whew...I'll stick with my Chum/Dog Salmon!

I then went to Giant market and found Kefir in Blueberry, Raspberry, Plain and Peach. They were $2.99 each. Trader Joe's only had the Strawberry.

Haven't tried them yet, but my cousin (who is starting SuperFoods tomorrow) did and loves it. So does her pre-teen son!

Superfoods today:

pineapple
oats, wheat germ
honey
nuts
yogurt
salmon
lettuce
cherries
asparagus
soymilk
tea
beans
tomatoes

Have a wonderful day, night and rest of the weekend!
Old 07-30-2006, 08:51 PM   #214  
Finding Me Again

Oh, WaterRat, thanks for that live webcam info! I FINALLY downloaded the RealPlayer that I needed and played it for DH, DDs & me to watch. That was soooo cool! There had to be atleast 6 to 8 bears that we could count. One finally caught a salmon and was followed all the way up the hill by another bear. The follower eventually turned away and the bear was able to devour his catch! I love it and will tune in to it from time to time. It's the closest I can get to actual salmon fishing!! I'll live vicariously through the bears...and you and your DH!

Talk to ya soon,
Hope
Old 07-30-2006, 09:05 PM   #215  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Phantastica, farmed salmon is actually very bad for the environment. The Wild Salmon isn't. Atlantic wild salmon is nearly extinct but pacific wild salmon is doing better. I believe that I read somewhere that the reason atlantic wild salmon is doing poorly is due to salmon farms having a negative impact on them.

If you want to read more about the environmental impacts of farmed salmon as well as many other fish, you can look at one of a few websites that reports on it. I always go to Monterey Bay Aquarium's website for information on fish that we eat.

Here is something specific to salmon:
http://www.mbayaq.org/cr/SeafoodWatc...et.aspx?gid=17
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:05 PM   #216  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyofsix
I've been following this thread with interest, even though I'm not part of this group.
Once you post your in! Welcome.

Pat! Everything I wanted to know about Salmon fishing and more! The webcam is so cool.. I think I’ll keep it open from time to time and watch the bears fish. Jealous of them… jealous of you. Thanks.

Olivia.. your dentist thanks me too! ..oh.. about the Kefir.. let me know how you like the strawberry. My son was ok with the blueberry but he just shook his head at the plain… it is safe in the frig for just li’l ol’ me.

Nelie, thanks for the link. I got this from the site:

“Fish farming can be done responsibly but not all fish farms are created equal. For example, it's best to farm fish that are omnivores (plant and protein eaters) rather than carnivores (protein eaters). Carnivores, like shrimp, salmon and tuna, require feed that's made from wild fish (either converted into pellets or processed as whole fish). Instead of alleviating pressures on wild fish, farming carnivorous fish actually creates a new demand that wild fisheries can't meet.”

Today's new superfood was a Japanese persimmon.. whole dried.. I was cleaning out the freezer and realized they were hiding behind the walnuts. My husband usually eats them but now he has competition!
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 01:55 AM   #217  
Working My Way Back Down

What exactly do you do with a dried persimmon? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Glad you all liked the webcam.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:27 AM   #218  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

There is now a whole foods forum.

Here is the link:
Wholes Foods Lifestyle
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:22 AM   #219  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat
What exactly do you do with a dried persimmon? Inquiring minds would like to know.
A dried persimmon is sweet and actually very "meaty"... not juicy but soft and thick. We just eat it.. biting around the hard stem which sits in the middle. Sometimes we use it in a rice dessert or special dried persimmon tea. Mostly we just eat it as it is.

This pic shows the colorful orange dried and the grayish white. Both are delicious..

Darlene... There is a whole foods lifestyle forum (can't you tell I'm excited?)
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:38 AM   #220  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I see you guys already found the whole foods forum. Would you like me to move this thread over there??
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:39 AM   #221  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Yes please Sandi
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:40 AM   #222  
hara hachi bu

I vote yes ... and thank you!
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:50 AM   #223  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Wild fishing kills a lot of other Wild...Life, I think that's why the farms were started. Seals, turtles, otters, dolphins, etc getting stuck in nets. I don't know what the right answer is, other than to not eat fish, which for me is not an option. I will stop eating fish when they stop tasting so good!!!

Also, I have not read all 15 pages of this thread, so I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but there is a guy on PBS here in the States, and his cooking show is all about the Super Foods. I thought of you guys. He made cedar plank salmon, spinach salad w/grilled tomato & onion, turkey sausages over a 3 bean ragu, and blueberry cobbler & for the crust on that he made pumpkin dumplings. It was all I could do not to lick the TV screen.

Quote:
The 13 episodes of “Healthy Flavors” will be released in the middle of April 2006. PBS Station Managers and the Satellite Service state that “Healthy Flavors” should be in more than 100 million homes, making the show the largest distributed PBS cooking show this year.
The chef's name is Jim Coleman. It was a good show.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 01:05 PM   #224  
Working My Way Back Down

Hope, I remembered to look at my BRM steel cut oats this morning. Here's the nutritional info for 1/4 cup dry (which is 1 serving cooked - though the directions are for making 4 servings - 1 cup - at a time):

Calories - 140
Fat - .5 g
Cholesterol - 0
Sodium - 0
Carbs - 27 g
Fiber - 4 g
Sugars - 0
Protein - 6 g
Vit A - 0
Vit C - 0
Calcium - 2%
Iron - 10%

And I found the Whole Foods Thread last night, and I vote for moving this thread over there.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 01:17 PM   #225  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 253/183/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchAPrettyFace
Also, I have not read all 15 pages of this thread, so I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but there is a guy on PBS here in the States, and his cooking show is all about the Super Foods. I thought of you guys. He made cedar plank salmon, spinach salad w/grilled tomato & onion, turkey sausages over a 3 bean ragu, and blueberry cobbler & for the crust on that he made pumpkin dumplings.
We bought cedar planks quite a while back for grilling salmon but haven't done it yet. Seems like now would be a good time to start!
BreakingFree is offline   Reply With Quote