Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 07-29-2006, 10:41 AM   #196  
Finding Me Again

S/C/G: 235/212/140

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde
I also want to mention that I don’t try to get in Pratt’s recommended portions. If I do, I do but sometimes I just want some of whatever it is.. It does seem to be a lot of food if you always try to get in the recommended portions at the frequency he suggests.
Yeah, I'm learning that! As long as I get SOME of the SuperFood in, I'm happy!

Quote:
About the flaxseed. I don’t buy it ground because then it would have to be refrigerated and consumed quickly. I buy it whole and then crush it in a marble mortar each time I need some. I’ve heard that whole flaxseed will last a long time if kept in a dark cool pantry. Besides the act of crushing it takes physical effort and is a mindful activity.
Thanks for the suggestion! I'm going to Acme today to see if I can find some WHOLE flaxseed. I'll give my arms a workout yet!

And I'd LOVE to trade places with WaterRat (Pat) for a week...maybe a month! I'd fish my heart out!
olivia627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 01:45 PM   #197  
Working My Way Back Down

Well, you do know you can only fish for a salmon a few weeks in the summer, right? And the cost of the rest of our groceries makes up for getting cheaper salmon.

I meant to mention for those wondering about storing nuts that I keep the majority of mine in the freezer. I buy the larger bags at Costco and then just keep about 1-2 week's worth out in the cupboard. I haven't had any problem with them getting rancid. My niece who lives in Florida sent us pecans (in the shell) for Christmas. DH had quite a time figuring out how to crack them and keep them in halves, or at least reasonable size pieces!

I'm off to the grocery store in a little bit, and will stock up on some more superfoods. The calorie count Olivia gave for the steel-cut oats seems high. I need to look at the Bob's Red Mill ones I got.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 08:46 PM   #198  
Finding Me Again

I thought the count was WAY high too! Please post the BRM number. I bought Quaker Oats Steel Cut Oats and loved them. I can't find them in the cabinet though. And I think it only listed the pre-cooked caloric count of 1/4 cup. Anyways, let me know what you find out!
Old 07-30-2006, 12:30 AM   #199  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Olivia, wow 2.99/lb for wild salmon... that is astonishing (as ms pat from alaska has confirmed). The cheapest I have ever seen it is 5.99/lb and thought I was incredibly lucky at that. Even farmed salmon usually isn't that cheap, so I'd say good job on your find.

I made a superfoods dessert recipe for my future in-laws today and they liked it although it wasn't their normal type of dessert. The book does have some interesting recipes which I plan to try more of but I figured since I don't usually eat dessert, making one for someone who does would be a good thing. I am making progress on the book and I do really like it more than I thought I would.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:35 AM   #200  
Finding Me Again

Usually, Pathmark's sale price is around $3.99/lb to $4.99/lb. Once, they overbought salmon and sold it for $1.99/lb! I racked up on it! The other day, the fillets were $4.99/lb and I was going to buy them, until I saw the incredible low price for the whole fish! And like I said, that didn't include the head and guts. And the lady scaled it and cut it in half for me. I baked it yesterday and the thing couldn't even fit in my pan good! The tail was hanging over.

Before I even read this book, my fish person (fishman Dan I call him) at the market got me eating wild caught over farm raised. It was much duller in color and wasn't as 'pretty' as the farm raised, but it had such a great flavor! I only buy wild now. Though, I don't know why type of wild salmon it is. I'll ask next time I go there.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:41 AM   #201  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

That is interesting considering that I've found that the wild salmon I buy has a deeper color than the farm raised. I remember the farm raised having a very dullish pink color and the wild caught I buy has a much deeper darker pink. It might be the type of wild salmon more than whether or not it is farm raised or not.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:51 AM   #202  
Finding Me Again

Other news:
I'm rid of another 1.5 pounds! This has been just in the last couple of days of me counting my calories and eating SuperFoods. I feel wonderful from the inside out! I LOVE my food choices and never, ever feel hungry. I'm incorporating a combination of The French Diet (light breakfast, 4 course lunch, light dinner, low GI carbs, lean meats), SuperFoods and Calorie Counting. It's not as difficult as I thought it was going to be to mix them all into a customized eating plan for myself. Soon I'll add in my daily walking, but I just want to focus on my eating for now.

Superfoods for yesterday:
1. Blueberries, strawberries
2. Grapefruit
3. Dark Chocolate
4. Oats, wheat germ, brown rice
5. Yogurt
6. Salmon
7. Asparagus
8. Romaine lettuce
9. Tomatoes
10. Soymilk
11. Nuts
12. Cannellini Beans
13. Broccoli
14. Tea
15. Honey
16. EVOO
17. Garlic

Sounds like a lot, but I don't force anything that I don't want, and it fits into my daily caloric intake perfectly! Total calories for yesterday was 1491. This is THE plan for me. I eat this way anyway, so there really isn't too much to adjust to.

Notes:
I need to get more calories from protein, and less from fats. My first day had 51% of my calories coming from fat! I'll add more protein today.

I need to get more from the Pumpkin group in! A baked yam sounds good today!
Old 07-30-2006, 09:57 AM   #203  
Finding Me Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie
That is interesting considering that I've found that the wild salmon I buy has a deeper color than the farm raised. I remember the farm raised having a very dullish pink color and the wild caught I buy has a much deeper darker pink. It might be the type of wild salmon more than whether or not it is farm raised or not.
The farm raised salmon that I usually see is like a brilliant reddish orange. It has a very rich color to it. The wild salmon looks more pink. The first time I looked at them side by side, I thought the wild was older salmon that they were trying to get rid of! I took a chance and tried it, though.

Geez, I hope I'm not buying some inferior quality salmon! It is always very fresh and tastes really good. This is worth looking into...

**Edited to add: I just called Pathmark and was informed that it is the Alaskan Wild Caught Chum Salmon. Chum sounds awful! Is this crappy salmon or ok quality? WaterRat, my Alaskan friend, where are you??? Please help me with this!**

Last edited by olivia627; 07-30-2006 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:42 AM   #204  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Olivia! Glad to hear that you are feeling great inside and out! I also never feel hungry (except during PMS.. but then it isn't hunger.. its dissatisfaction and not knowing what I want or need )

As far as the salmon goes.. I don't know .. I want to hear from our very own Alaskan expert too! I've been eating canned wild salmon for a long time but this fresh is a new encounter for me. Obviously the wild red sockeye salmon has a richer color than the farmed.. among other things it must be the nature of the type of salmon.

But as far as farmed salmon looking better than some wild, I supspect it could be the nature of the type of salmon itself but also could be food additives added to farmed salmon the same way coloring is often added to our grocery sold beef. If you've ever seen fresh beef from the slaughter house you will see the difference from what the grocery has to offer.

If the salmon you are buying is good wild salmon then you are really getting a deal!

I've gotten 6 superfoods in this morning.. just with a simple breakfast:

steel-cut oats cooked with cranraisins and then topped with plain Kefir and crushed flax.. small glass of fresh squeezed orange juice lotsa pulp
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 11:08 AM   #205  
Finding Me Again

Hi Jayde! I remember my fishman telling me that the farm raised did have additives that enriched the coloring. I'm happy with the salmon I've been eating, so I'll continue, especially at $2.99/lb! And the sale is still on, for anyone who lives near a Pathmark! And like I said, it's fresh and good!

6 superfoods is a GREAT way to start your day! I had pineapples, yogurt, wheat germ & my oat topping (oats, honey, walnuts). Very satisfying!
Old 07-30-2006, 12:07 PM   #206  
hara hachi bu

Someone told me just last night that farmed salmon is better for the environment, because eating wild upsets the ecosystem. ?? Has anybody heard this before? I haven't researched it yet.

How do you guys use flaxseed? Ground, or whole, and in what?

My breakfast this morning was yogurt, frozen cherries, cereal, almonds, and ground flaxseed.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 12:52 PM   #207  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

I did the muesli, plain non fat yogurt, blueberries, teaspoon of dark buckwheat honey for breakfast - loved it! Needed a break from peanut butter toast
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 03:37 PM   #208  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantastica
Someone told me just last night that farmed salmon is better for the environment, because eating wild upsets the ecosystem. ?? Has anybody heard this before? I haven't researched it yet.

How do you guys use flaxseed? Ground, or whole, and in what?

My breakfast this morning was yogurt, frozen cherries, cereal, almonds, and ground flaxseed.
Hey we are all getting in lots of superfoods! I forgot to type "almonds".. ok.. now its 6!

Phantastica, I worry about a negative impact on the environment by eating wild salmon.. but I know the negative impact on raising and eating farmed is a whole lot worse. For the environment, the quality of life for the fish themselves, and our health.

So when I buy salmon.. as with any animal food I do my best not to waste it. Of course if lettuce goes bad in my frig I feel bad for the waste.. but not the same way as if it were an animal product. I believe if we eat them, we have an obligation to eat/use all of it.

oh.. flaxseed.. I grind it in a marble mortar just before using it. I put it in yogurt, on salads, an on top of steel cut oats after I've added cold yogurt or soymilk.

I've even chewed it .. but I don't recommend this. Its so hard to get out from between the teeth.

Last edited by Jayde; 07-30-2006 at 03:46 PM.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:40 PM   #209  
Working My Way Back Down

Ha! Love all the salmon discussions.

Chum salmon, also called Dog salmon, is much paler and has a softer flesh than the "Big 3" (i.e. chinook, coho, sockeye). It's just as good for you.

As for fishing wild salmon being harmful to the environment, hmmm? I'd be interested in knowing more. Wild salmon are caught several ways. First is by commercial fishermen. These salmon are caught in the ocean, and conceivably this lowers the number of salmon since they reproduce by leaving the ocean and entering rivers/streams and swimming upstream to the "birthplace" and spawning there. Once they spawn, they die. However, this fishery is tightly controlled as to how long it's open, how many boats are licensed to fish, and how many fish each boat can catch. Second is subsistance fishing. This is done in rivers, often near the mouth where they run into the ocean, using either fishwheels or nets. This is what DH does, he uses a dipnet to catch fish in the Copper River. His seasonal limit is 60 fish, plus 10 more for each household member. However, this year we took only 16, which when added to what we've caught with a rod, is plenty for the two of us. The third fishery is sport fishing, i.e. rod and reel. This is what most people think of when they think fishing. We fish this way, as well. The limits are set per day ont this type of fishing, and the seasons are shorter (though the time the fish are in the streams where sport fishing is done is shorter too). So far this year, we have: 1 king (chinook) caught dipnetting (the limit is 1 per season); 15 red (soho) caught dipnetting; 7 silvers (coho) caught with rod/reel.

The last fishery is done by eagles and bears! Eagles pretty much eat spawned out, dead or dying fish. Bears do the same, but whenever they can, they catch living salmon on their way upstream to spawn. National Geographic actually has a webcam on the McNeil River (the most famous for bear watching) so you can see them catching the migrating salmon. I just looked and there are a few bears there now. I think the migration is slowing down, but you might be able to see some. http://www9.nationalgeographic.com/n...ies/index.html
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:53 PM   #210  
Finding Me Again

Quote:
oh.. flaxseed.. I grind it in a marble mortar just before using it. I put it in yogurt, on salads, an on top of steel cut oats after I've added cold yogurt or soymilk.

I've even chewed it .. but I don't recommend this. Its so hard to get out from between the teeth.
ROTFLMBO! I don't know if you meant this to be funny, but I cracked up at the thought of you trying to get the flax seed out of your teeth! I WON'T be chewing it! Thanks for the advice!