Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 07-27-2006, 09:32 AM   #181  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I just stocked up on Wild Salmon last night at Trader Joes. The prices ranged from 5.99/lb to 6.99/lb, depending on the type. I bought 3 different types. I also bought some whole wheat pizza dough from Trader Joes (.79 each, wow) which I will make some pizza in the next couple days.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:51 PM   #182  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Nelie- I am totally jealous that you have so many salmon choices. The Wild Sockeye I bought was $7.99 a pound even at Costco.. worth every penny yes... but wow...

I got in my dark chocolate super food today.. Had a small piece.. yup.. loved it... I had other super foods too.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:44 AM   #183  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

I tried the steel oats in the crockpot. They were great. It made about 5 servings and some of my family ate it as well. I added raw blueberries to mine and ate fage yogurt with it. It was good. I am not sure if I can get those kinds of oats in Korea but for now I am enjoying it! Thanks for the recipe Jayde!
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 02:27 PM   #184  
The Beauty of Balance

I'm glad you liked the oats, Darlene. Just in case your commissary doesn't have them, buy a couple of tins and take it with you. I did my last visit to Korea. And if the commissary doesn't have it, request it.. and get a friend or two to do the same. It usually works.

Put me on a desert island, but give me my oats!
Old 07-28-2006, 06:53 PM   #185  
Working My Way Back Down

Hi All -

I've just finished reading all the way through this thread (good-bye lunch hour ) and have learned a lot. I read the first Superfoods book after reading Glory's weight lost thread, and liked a lot of the ideas in there. I've been working at incorporating these superfoods in my eating plan. Though this week, there's not been a plan! I seem to have fallen face-down into the slough of gluttony. How did that happen?? Anyway, I'm stumbling out and shaking off. This weekend will involve a bunch of planning and shopping (that's part of what happened - was gone last weekend and never got to the store for "the good stuff.")

We've always eaten a number of the superfoods, and so far I've added or increased the use of:

steel-cut oats (Great tip about the crockpot.)
orange peppers
natural pb (prying my fingers off the Jif )

Jayde, I posted to you on another thread about wild salmon. It is the best! Of course, you can all hate me because I have access to it without buying it. I was going to say free, but of course, buying all the stuff to go fishing is not cheap either. But so far this month, I have put into my freezer 1 King (Chinook) salmon, 15 Red (sockeye) salmon, and 7 Silver (coho) salmon. That is plenty for DH and I for the year, plus we'll take some home to New England when we go for Thanksgiving.

Anyway, thanks for the information, and I'll be posting here more often.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:46 PM   #186  
Finding Me Again

S/C/G: 235/212/140

Height: 5'3"

Aaaaaah! WaterRat Pat! I am soooooo jealous! Both because you are enjoying BEAUTIFUL Alaska AND because you can just go fish for great salmon!

DH, DD and I went on a 6 week trip visiting all of the western states. Our next stop is...Alaska! I can't wait!
olivia627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:49 PM   #187  
Finding Me Again

I just began eating my superfoods today! I just bought 7 pounds of whole (guts removed) wild salmon at Pathmark for $2.99 a pound. I bought something from every group, but couldn't find any ground flaxseed. I did get wheat germ, though.

I'm trying to see how to get everything into my meals! It's a LOT of food!
Old 07-28-2006, 07:56 PM   #188  
Working My Way Back Down

Come on up - it is beautiful here, though most of you would find it kinda chilly! We've lived here since 1973.

Oh, great price on the salmon! We never see it that cheap here. (And don't ask what we pay for chicken or beef )

Oh, but what I wanted to say was that I find ground flaxseed by Bob's Red Mill in the cooler in the natural foods section of my grocery. If you go to their website (bobsredmill.com) they have a store finder. Don't know where in PA you are, but looks like lots of Acme Markets carry BRM products.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:58 PM   #189  
Finding Me Again

Thanks! I was going to get to Acme yesterday, but after spending close to $200.00 at two other markets, I just went straight home! I'll get to Acme this weekend. Thanks so much!
Old 07-28-2006, 08:26 PM   #190  
Finding Me Again

Thought I'd share a recipe with yall! I saw this on Barefoot Contessa on FoodTV months ago. I tried and loved it. It's not too incredibly sweet with the plain yogurt, so I made it with vanilla yogurt. When I was thinking of a good topping for my SuperFood yogurt, I pulled up this recipe again. Lo and behold, it contains quite a few SuperFoods! Enjoy, and tell me what you think. My topping is baking in the oven as I type!

Fruit Crunch Sundae

Ingredients:

• 1 cup quick-cooking (not instant) rolled oats
• 1/2 cup sweetened, shredded coconut
• 1/2 cup sliced or slivered almonds
• 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 2 tablespoons good honey
• 8 to 10 strawberries, small-diced
• 1/2 cup blueberries
• 1/4 pineapple, small-diced
• 2 cups plain yogurt

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Toss the oats, coconut, almonds, oil, and honey together in a large bowl until they are completely combined. Pour onto a sheet pan and bake, stirring occasionally with a spatula, until the mixture turns a nice, even golden brown, about 20 minutes.

Remove the granola from the oven and allow to cool, stirring once.

Combine the strawberries, blueberries, and pineapple in a bowl. In 4 ice cream sundae glasses, layer first the fruit, then the yogurt, and the cooled granola alternately until you fill the glasses. Serve with a long spoon.

(Source: Barefoot Contessa)

**I love pecans, so I substituted them for the almonds the first time I made this. Today, all I have are walnuts. So I chopped them up and used them instead. I also added cinnamon and nutmeg before I baked it. Couldn't find my coconut to save my life! Oh well... I doubled the recipe so I would have plenty for the week as needed. As far as amounts, without my coconut, this made 3 3/4 cups at 2383 calories! I just ate 1/4 cup on top of my yogurt and fruit and I believe the topping alone was around 158 calories (2383 calories divided by 15 [1/4 cup servings]). I also added a sprinkle, that I forgot to measure, of wheat germ after I baked it. If anyone has any ideas of how to lower the calories that come from adding the vegetable oil (720 calories), please post! Substitutions?? Omitting it??**

***And if I counted correctly, there's 6 SuperFoods in this:

1..oats
2..nuts
3..honey
4..strawberries/blueberries
5..pineapple
6..yogurt

Last edited by olivia627; 07-28-2006 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:19 PM   #191  
Finding Me Again

Oh, and I should mention what SuperFoods I got in today...my FIRST day!

1. Blueberries, Cherries, Strawberries
2. Romaine lettuce
3. Tomatoes
4. Asparagus
5. EVOO
6. Garlic
7. Honey
8. Oats, brown rice, wheat germ
9. Yogurt
10. Nuts
11. Tea (about to drink shortly!)
12. Soymilk (about to drink shortly!)

I'll do better tomorrow! I was kinda stumbling through, not sure how to get it all in AND watch my calories at the same time. Tricky, tricky, tricky. My total calories is appx. 1398! I'm trying to stay around 1400 or 1500. Pretty close!

Anyways, I have just about all of the superfoods and/or their sidekicks in stock, so I should be able to mix and match tomorrow and will get more in.

THIS IS FUN!!!!!!!!! And I feel GREAT!

**How did you guys link your FitDay to your signatures? How do you do that without people having to input a password? Did you have to upgrade to FitDay PC? Thanks!**

Last edited by olivia627; 07-28-2006 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:46 AM   #192  
hara hachi bu

I went grocery shopping this evening, and here are the superfoods/sidekicks I bought: beans (3 kinds of lentils), grapes (?), strawberries, broccoli, oranges, yogurt, spinach, kale, tomatoes, tomato soup, salmon (canned Sockeye), ground flaxseed.

I already had these at home: apples, cinnamon, dried superfruits, EVOO, garlic, honey, oats, onions, pumpkin, soy, tea, wheat germ.

Today I had wheat germ, tomatoes, onions, romaine lettuce, and kidney beans.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 07:47 AM   #193  
The Beauty of Balance

Hi Water Rat.. you read this entire thread over your lunch hour? I hope you still managed to eat! I do hate you. Not just because you don’t have to buy your salmon but because you have so many choices… Chinook, Sockeye, AND Coho! I have a feeling I’ll be lucky to find fresh wild when I want it.. and when I do there won’t be choices.

Olivia. I don’t know what kind of wild salmon that was but at 2.99! Wow! 12 Superfoods in one day is great. Lately I’m getting an average of about 14 a day but I was eating many of these foods before and I’ve been at this for several weeks.

I also want to mention that I don’t try to get in Pratt’s recommended portions. If I do, I do but sometimes I just want some of whatever it is.. It does seem to be a lot of food if you always try to get in the recommended portions at the frequency he suggests.

About the flaxseed. I don’t buy it ground because then it would have to be refrigerated and consumed quickly. I buy it whole and then crush it in a marble mortar each time I need some. I’ve heard that whole flaxseed will last a long time if kept in a dark cool pantry. Besides the act of crushing it takes physical effort and is a mindful activity.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:35 AM   #194  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Steel Cut Oats Question: How many calories in a 1/2 cup of cooked oats?
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 10:36 AM   #195  
Finding Me Again

According to Calorie King's calculator, 1/2 cup of cooked Arrowhead Mills steel cut oats is:

Calories.......320
Fat..............6g
Sat Fat.........0g
Cholestero....0mg
Sodium........0mg
Carbs...........54g
Fiber..........16g
Sugar..........0g
Protein.........12g
Calcium........40mg
Potassium.....260mg