Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 07-25-2006, 01:38 PM   #166  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 253/183/150

Height: 5'4"

BTW, Nelie, what a FABULOUS Superfoods feast!
BreakingFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 01:44 PM   #167  
Mindful Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde
Really their oatmeal is sooooooo good. With a touch of maple syrup and some pecans.. YUM!
Hmm, I'll have to try Cracker Barrel oatmeal, I guess. My best friend has one right around the corner from her and the last time I visited we went there for breakfast. It was the first time I'd ever been to one. Sure is popular, there was quite a wait.

Maybe your husband's mom had the same rule mine did!! My new rule is "Eat what you're REALLY hungry for."
Old 07-25-2006, 02:40 PM   #168  

S/C/G: 159/155/140

Height: 5'6"

Default Thanks all!

Quote:
- Hi Ellen.. I buy McCann's steel cut oats.. $5.99 for 28 ounce can at the commissary. It cooks faster than 45 min in a pressure cooker.. but I prefer to cook it overnight in a slow cooker (crock pot).. I refrigerate the rest of the batch and just heat in the microwave when I want some. I always have steel cut oats ready to eat. .either in the frig.. or fresh in the slow cooker.
JAYDE Thanks for this info~ I am going to see if I can find McCann's and give it a try. I have heard of this brand...now to find it!

Synger and Nelie Thanks to you too!

This is all great info. I am new to this site and still learning how to use it. Jayde How did you get 2 quotes in your post??
Ellen2BHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 02:45 PM   #169  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen2BHot
This is all great info. I am new to this site and still learning how to use it. Jayde How did you get 2 quotes in your post??
You can do quotes 3 ways:
  1. Click the quote button to reply which captures the quote and the poster's name (like I did above, I just cut out the text I didn't want to quote)
  2. Use the quote command, which is [q.uote]text[/q.uote] (without the periods).
  3. If I wanted to be extra fancy, I could make it look like you quoted it by saying: [QU.OTE=Ellen2BHot]text[/qu.ote] (also without the periods).

Like these examples.

Quote:
this is the way to quote using the second example. I'm really not quoting anybody, I'm just using the command
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellen2bhot
this is the way to quote using the third example, you never actually said this, but I can quote your posts without clicking the Quote button with this method. Very good for the middle of a post
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 04:19 PM   #170  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Ellen, its just like Glory explained; after clicking the quote button you just have to isolate the text and make sure the quote commands are around what you want. To quote from 2 different people in the same text I just isolate one quote, copy, go to the next post.. push the quote button, isolate what I want there and then paste the first quote I made. Whallah..

Don't feel like a newbie.. it will wear off.. I had no clue about making even one quote when I first joined.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 04:37 PM   #171  

S/C/G: 159/155/140

Quote:
Don't feel like a newbie.. it will wear off.. I had no clue about making even one quote when I first joined.
Cool! You guys are really helpful! I feel welcome. THANKS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory
You can do quotes 3 ways:

Click the quote button to reply which captures the quote and the poster's name (like I did above, I just cut out the text I didn't want to quote)
Use the quote command, which is [q.uote]text[/q.uote] (without the periods).
If I wanted to be extra fancy, I could make it look like you quoted it by saying: [QU.OTE=Ellen2BHot]text[/qu.ote] (also without the periods).
Gotta quote Glory too!!

I'm getting the hang of it!

Glory, I saw your before and afters. COOL!

Last edited by Ellen2BHot; 07-25-2006 at 05:09 PM.
Ellen2BHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:15 AM   #172  
The Beauty of Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingFree
Maybe your husband's mom had the same rule mine did!! My new rule is "Eat what you're REALLY hungry for."
I like your new rule! My mother-in-law's rule... not even close to your mother's. Her rule was why the heck would you even want to go to eat in a restaurant when the food at home is economical, fresh, delicious, and made with love. She absolutely abhored restaurants.

Way to go on the quotes, Ellen!
Old 07-26-2006, 09:44 AM   #173  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I had another pretty good super food dinner last night so I figured I'd share:

Salad with romaine lettuce (sf), tomatoes (sf), carrots (sf), cucumbers, avocado (sf) and artichokes (sf).
Dressing had honey(sf) in it.

Wild Salmon (sf), lemon juice (sf), garlic (sf)
Black beans (sf), Kidney beans (sf), onions (sf)
Brown Rice (sf)
Kale (sf), lemon juice (sf), olive oil (sf)
Iced tea (sf)

So basically 17 superfoods with cucumbers really being the only thing that wasn't a super food.

The funny thing is that I haven't changed the foods I've eaten, I just realized that the foods I eat are generally on the SF list. I think I am making some effort though to keep foods that are on the list and use the list as a guide on things to buy.

I've been reading the book, although slowly. I was just reading about Broccoli last night. I think I realized that the book really tries to make the idea of eating good an exciting idea. Although I would restrict myself somewhat with the things he suggests just because I am trying to lose weight as well as eat healthy.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 11:11 AM   #174  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

My mom's rule is Why eat at all? My mom has always been borderline anorexic so we never got food. She would always forget to cook breakfast and lunch. We usually got dinner but sometimes not till 9 or 10 at night, so I have really had to change my way of eating and learn how to eat.
trishn222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 11:35 AM   #175  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie
I think I realized that the book really tries to make the idea of eating good an exciting idea. Although I would restrict myself somewhat with the things he suggests just because I am trying to lose weight as well as eat healthy.
I was definitely excited when I read the book, so I know what you're saying.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 11:58 AM   #176  
Mindful Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishn222
My mom's rule is Why eat at all? My mom has always been borderline anorexic so we never got food. She would always forget to cook breakfast and lunch. We usually got dinner but sometimes not till 9 or 10 at night, so I have really had to change my way of eating and learn how to eat.
Oh, trishn222, that must have been awful for you and your sibs. Kudos to you for really working on changing your eating for the better.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:56 PM   #177  
The Beauty of Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishn222
Trish, I am so sorry to hear this. Hugs to you for changing your life. My mom.. I am not ready to discuss her.. let's just say I sort of understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie
I think I realized that the book really tries to make the idea of eating good an exciting idea. Although I would restrict myself somewhat with the things he suggests just because I am trying to lose weight as well as eat healthy.
I absolutely agree. I mark a superfood on my spreadsheet even if I am not consuming his recommended servings. There is just no way I would try to eat all that he recommends in one day. The other day I had a single bite of salmon (from a salad) I counted it on my chart.

Want a perfect example though... yogurt.. Now how am I possibly going to consume 2 cups of yogurt or Kefir DAILY. I only started eating yogurt since joining 3FC... and I like it.. but that is just too much.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:58 PM   #178  
The Beauty of Balance

And the verdict is in..................................

Plain Kefir is good too! Not as sweet as the blueberry of course but good in its own way. I might have to keep buying blueberry for my son who likes it.. but something tells me he ain't gonna like the plain. He has baby tastes still.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:40 PM   #179  
The Beauty of Balance

I didn't find a good peanut butter at Costco today (I was looking for a natural brand..) the only "natural" kind there had palm oil in it.. I think I can do better than that!

Anyway, to my shock when I looked in the fresh seafood frig there were two kinds of salmon.. the regular light orange-pinkish kind that is of course farmed and next to it a very colorful red WILD Sockeye Salmon from Alaska. I have never seen that at Costco. I couldn't help but to compare the two. The Wild of course was more than $2 a pound more expensive than the farmed, had a very different color and even a different look about it.. I mean the meat itself had a different texture...

Of course I bought a nice fillet.. then.. I started to think.. This guy was once roaming the free cold waters when he was caught.. ok.. but what of all his friends.. if the demand for wild salmon becomes too great what will happen to them.

I never questioned this when I opened a can of sockeye salmon.. the cooked meat in the can though there were bones and skin didn't resemble this fresh fillet I picked up.

But yes.. I bought it.. and yes I still have it on my mind.. and yes I will eat it tomorrow.. and yes it will probably still be on my mind... but yes I will probably enjoy it thoroughly anyway....

Still I will be thinking about it for awhile....
Old 07-27-2006, 01:12 AM   #180  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

I buy quite a lot of wild salmon. I've always loved fish. Anyway, for any Canajun SuperFooders, Save-On have frozen wild salmon on sale for $4 per pound right now.
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote