Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 07-24-2006, 04:46 PM   #151  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 253/183/150

Height: 5'4"

Sheila -

I love FAGE yogurt, too and have tried the 0%, 2% and full fat (which is DECADENT!). I have never seen a flavored Fage in stores but believe they have a few flavors on their website. One that I've seen here does come w/ some honey on the side to mix in. Unfortunately, I have not seen Fage at my Kroger, maybe I should talk to the manager...... I can get it at Whole Foods and another speciality market here.
BreakingFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 06:48 PM   #152  

S/C/G: 159/155/140

Height: 5'6"

Default Hi! I'm New!

Hi everyone! I'm new here and am reading the SuperFoods books. I have a couple of questions...I haven't been through the whole thread, but searched and didn't find anything close so I hope I'm not repeating!! Here goes...

Does anyone use steel cut oats? I have heard these are best and I'm not sure if that is true or if you can get them in any form that cooks faster than 45 minutes or so.

Salads: Do you make up a large salad, say the SuperFoods salad, and just grab some when you need it? If so, how long does it last? I usually shop once a week and sometimes my spinach/lettuce doesn't last that long.

Any tips are appreciated!!
Ellen2BHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:36 PM   #153  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Nelie- That squash was absolutely delicious! You'd never know by looking at the recipe how naturally sweet it would be. We had it for dinner.. I mean just the casserole.. nothing else. My honey didn't even notice that it wasn't a "full meal" according to his definition. And for someone who hates to eat leftovers especially the very next day .. he sure asked my in a hurry to put the rest in his lunch box. jeeze.. no leftovers for me..

Question about the recipe though.. I worried that the squash would stick to the pan so I put a little oil on it.. um..it sizzled a bit.. so I wonder if I should have done that....

You know this recipe has so many superfoods-sidekicks in it! squash, onions, garlic, yellow corn, olive oil, cayenne pepper (my additional superfood), ...

Not sure about the cumin as I don't have the second book. Also wondering about a "red" pepper.. vs.. orange.. or yellow for that matter... can the red pepper be counted as if it were orange? in the same category or in the tomato category with other red stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen2BHot
Does anyone use steel cut oats? I have heard these are best and I'm not sure if that is true or if you can get them in any form that cooks faster than 45 minutes or so.
Hi Ellen.. I buy McCann's steel cut oats.. $5.99 for 28 ounce can at the commissary. It cooks faster than 45 min in a pressure cooker.. but I prefer to cook it overnight in a slow cooker (crock pot).. I refrigerate the rest of the batch and just heat in the microwave when I want some. I always have steel cut oats ready to eat. .either in the frig.. or fresh in the slow cooker.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:18 AM   #154  
The Beauty of Balance

Just posting to add... we didn't eat the whole thing by ourselves.. we had guests that dropped in unexpectedly... they liked it too.

Just didn't want you to think I gorged myself.. cause it does make a lot.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:54 AM   #155  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Default Fage Flavors

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingFree
Sheila -

I love FAGE yogurt, too and have tried the 0%, 2% and full fat (which is DECADENT!). I have never seen a flavored Fage in stores but believe they have a few flavors on their website. One that I've seen here does come w/ some honey on the side to mix in. Unfortunately, I have not seen Fage at my Kroger, maybe I should talk to the manager...... I can get it at Whole Foods and another speciality market here.
Our local King Kullen had a couple of flavors of Fage yogurt. I got the full fat with strawberry. It comes in a little container with compartments. I really liked that yogurt. The other flavor I believe was honey.
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 09:56 AM   #156  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

The steel cut oats, or Irish Oatmeal, is about as close to whole oats as you can get (you can get oat groats, which is the whole grain, but it's hard to find). It's just oat groats that have been cut into smaller pieces. Like wheat berries or brown rice, it tends to need a lot more time to cook.

The "regular" or "rolled" or "old-fashioned" oatmeal you can buy in the big Quaker container is still whole-grain oats, but it's been steamed, rolled, and flaked so they cook more quickly, about five-seven minutes.

"Quick oats" are a little thinner than regular oats, so they take only a 2-3 minutes to cook.

"Instant oats" are very thin and are precooked. You just add water to make the oatmeal, rather than cooking it. They don't ahve the chewiness or flavor of longer-cooking oats, and can't be used in recipes the same way.

I used to take regular or quick oats, and whir them up in the food processor with some skim milk powder, splenda, flax seed meal, and cinnamon, and take that to work as my own "instant oats". I'd have to let the hot water soak into the oats for a minute or so longer than already-prepared instant oats, but it was nice and tasty, and I knew EXACTLY what was in it.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 09:58 AM   #157  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Jayde, it does make a lot And it is good. I made the recipe a couple months ago, didn't add any oil and found that it didn't stick. I think it has enough water naturally not to need oil. I have been wondering about red peppers myself. They are packed with vitamins but he specifically picks out orange peppers? I don't know.

Ellen, my opinion is that oatmeal is awesome whether it is steel cut or rolled. Although some people prefer large rolled oats to the standard rolled oats (quaker). I would avoid any store bought oats that are quick, instant or somehow claim to have sped up the cooking process. The only reason is "they do something to the oats" and as a result, they change how our body reacts to it. I've never pressure cooked oatmeal (interesting idea), but that could be worth a shot or just make a ton of it when you make it so you can easily reheat it. I make a ton of brown rice when I cook it so I can easily reheat it.

Last night, I went grocery shopping before dinner and bought something I've never bought before... papaya

Dinner last night was:

Salad with romaine lettuce (sf), tomatoes (sf), carrots (sf) and cucumbers. My dressing contained honey (sf).

Fruit salad with papaya (sf), kiwi (sf), banana and lemon juice (sf).

Bean salad with 2 kinds of beans (sf), green onions (sf), tomatoes (sf), corn (sf), red bell peppers (sf?) and lemon juice (sf).

Brown rice (sf)
Tilapia
Cauliflower (sf)
Avocado (sf)
Corn tortillas (not sf but is made from sf corn)

I almost thought about making Wild Salmon instead of Tilapia just to make everything basically a superfood but I didnt So basically dinner had 15 superfood items (some repeats) and what I'd call 2 borderline superfood items. When I showed the superfood list to my BF, he was quick to point out that he had real iced tea for dinner while I had herbal iced tea.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:11 AM   #158  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie
Jayde, it does make a lot And it is good. I made the recipe a couple months ago, didn't add any oil and found that it didn't stick. I think it has enough water naturally not to need oil. I have been wondering about red peppers myself. They are packed with vitamins but he specifically picks out orange peppers? I don't know.
He picked orange peppers because of the beta/alpha carotene, they are in the pumpkin group along with all the other orange stuff (pumpkin, butternut squash, carrots). I believe orange peppers might also be in the spinach group. Red peppers are a great food and chock full of vitamins, but the whole premise of the book is there are a lot of foods that are good for you but some foods are SUPER and red peppers aren't on the list. That doesn't mean I don't eat red peppers, I love them and eat them all the time, they just aren't a super food (per this author, if you want to count them as a super food for you, do it!!!)

Last edited by Glory87; 07-25-2006 at 12:40 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:13 AM   #159  
Mindful Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde

Hi Ellen.. I buy McCann's steel cut oats.. $5.99 for 28 ounce can at the commissary. It cooks faster than 45 min in a pressure cooker.. but I prefer to cook it overnight in a slow cooker (crock pot).. I refrigerate the rest of the batch and just heat in the microwave when I want some. I always have steel cut oats ready to eat. .either in the frig.. or fresh in the slow cooker.
Jayde -

Could you please give specific instructions for cooking steel cut oats in the crockpot? Thanks!
Old 07-25-2006, 10:28 AM   #160  
The Beauty of Balance

Quote:
Jayde -Could you please give specific instructions for cooking steel cut oats in the crockpot? Thanks!
I put in a cup of oats, 4 cups of water, some kind of dried friut (either raisins, cut apricots, rasberries.. ), and cinnamon. And turn the crockpot on before going to bed.

In the morning the house smells great and breakfast is hot! I eat it just like that or with a splash of yogurt, soymilk, or now Kefir. Sometimes I add walnuts or almonds. I also might add freshly ground flaxseed on top of the soymilk (so the flaxseed won't get hot). I absolutely love it so much this is what I have for breakfast nearly every morning.

Since we are on the subject of oatmeal.. Who has tried the oatmeal at Cracker Barrel? I really am curious as to what they use for oats. It is not chewy like steel cut but some of the oats are thick like you'd find in an Asian market. If I am "forced" to go out for breakfast this is where we go and this is what I order (I usually give the muffin it comes with to my son later). So does anyone know what kind of oats they are?

Glory- thanks for the info on the orange peppers. It makes sense.

Nelie- My gosh that is a lot of superfoods!!!!! Don't you think you could have squeezed in a few more?
Old 07-25-2006, 10:40 AM   #161  
Mindful Eater

Jayde -

Muchas gracias for the steel cut oats cooking directions. One more question, if I may? When I make my old fashioned oatmeal in the microwave, I use milk or half milk and half water. Do you think I could use milk in the crockpot overnight?

I also love dried fruit w/ my oatmeal - currants, raisins, orange-flavored Craisins (dried cranberries) plus pecans or walnuts. Lots of SuperFoods and sidekicks make for a good breakfast! I think I'll be adding flaxseed and wheat germ to my arsenal shortly.

Can't help you with Cracker Barrel. I've only been there once and didn't have oatmeal. I generally don't order oatmeal in a restaurant because my mom used to have a rule that "If I can easily make it at home, don't order it in a restaurant!" LOL.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:50 AM   #162  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

You girls and guys are awesome....I can not get over how long this thread is getting!! I have learned so much here!
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 11:10 AM   #163  
The Beauty of Balance

Quote:
Jayde -

Muchas gracias for the steel cut oats cooking directions. One more question, if I may? When I make my old fashioned oatmeal in the microwave, I use milk or half milk and half water. Do you think I could use milk in the crockpot overnight?
You sure are welcome.. but I don't know about the milk and the crockpot.. I don't buy milk so I wouldn't know.. hopefully someone else will know. If putting dairy in I prefer to add cold yogurt .. something about the variety of flavors, textures, and temperatures in the oatmeal when I eat it.. I mean the first bite before it all melds together I get sweet from the fruit, crunchy from the nuts, chewy from the oats, hot from the oats, and cold from the yogurt.

Cranraisins.. ah yes.. I have them in my "arsenal" too.

Quote:
I generally don't order oatmeal in a restaurant because my mom used to have a rule that "If I can easily make it at home, don't order it in a restaurant!" LOL.
ok.. funny I can relate to this.. when we used to go to Cracker Barrel years ago my husband would get annoyed if I ordered oatmeal. He doesn't eat it so he has no reference for knowing how GREAT the oatmeal is there.. it is 10X better than oatmeal I used to make (before I discovered steel cut). Though I wanted the oatmeal I used to order something else because it kind of made sense.. order something I don't cook. Finally one day I just ordered it.. he said something and I told him if he didn't want to see me sitting there eating NOTHING.. he'd be quiet and let me enjoy my oatmeal. He has never said anything about it since.. and when we go to Cracker Barrel that is all I order.. that and tea. I can still see his eyes roll invisibly in his head. Really their oatmeal is sooooooo good. With a touch of maple syrup and some pecans.. YUM!
Old 07-25-2006, 11:11 AM   #164  
The Beauty of Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by DollyR
You girls and guys are awesome....I can not get over how long this thread is getting!! I have learned so much here!
And whooooooooooo started this monster of a thread?
Old 07-25-2006, 11:43 AM   #165  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Didn't somebody ask if this thread could be turned into a support group on it's own? It makes sense to me to do it!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote