Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 07-23-2006, 05:14 PM   #121  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

oh... wait.. There are 10 live cultures in this Kefir! 10!
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 05:17 PM   #122  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde
I looked for canned pumpkin....but couldn't find it.. and the store was way too busy to bother asking. In the fall it seems like that stuff is on every endcap.. so where did it go?! Maybe I'll have better luck next time.

Another new find was Kefir.
Did you find the pie fillings? In my grocery store, the canned pumpkin is with the canned pie cherries (and all the other pie stuff). I've never tried kefir! I am now inspired
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 05:32 PM   #123  
The Beauty of Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87
Did you find the pie fillings? In my grocery store, the canned pumpkin is with the canned pie cherries (and all the other pie stuff). I've never tried kefir! I am now inspired
Yes.. there was blueberry and apple... but no pumpkin. I got fresh butternut instead. It looks pretty on the counter... prettier than a can of pumkin would be!

I was actually very shocked to find the Kefir. I wasn't really looking for it.. just glancing around at some cheese and there it was. Calling my name!
Old 07-23-2006, 07:56 PM   #124  
The Beauty of Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantastica
I used to eat flavored yogurt, but I switched to plain with berries and a little bit of stevia (a natural non-caloric herbal sweetener). After a few months I weaned myself of any sweetener at all, and now I just eat it plain with fruit, nuts, and cereal (a little Barbara's GrainShop).
Phantastica.. thanks for mentioning that Stevia was natural.. I'd heard that word over and over and just dismissed it as another artificial sweetner I had to avoid. I did a little research on it.. it sounds pretty good.. now.. where to find it?

Last edited by Jayde; 07-23-2006 at 08:13 PM. Reason: just deleting all my signatures.. kinda messy!
Old 07-23-2006, 08:02 PM   #125  
The Beauty of Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87
I think they're in there because of the way Pratt divided the second book into seasons and mixed old and new super foods in each chapter. The person reviewing included some new super foods in the old group and some old super foods in the new group (beans and yogurt are incorrectly added to the new group, whereas dark chocolate is added to the old group).

They are super foods in their own right (they have their own sidekicks). If someone has the second book, it would be great if they could add the new super groups and their side kicks to the list.
Phantastica is the only one I know who has the book (I think I gotta hold out for the paperback.) So... how is the reading coming, Phantastica... (my buddy! )

Last edited by Jayde; 07-23-2006 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:12 PM   #126  
The Beauty of Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingFree
I haven't gotten Pratt's book yet (Barnes & Noble will be getting my money, too, Jayde!)
Hm... Maybe Breaking Free has it by now... hmmmmmm? ..oh wait.. she got the first book, right?
Old 07-23-2006, 09:08 PM   #127  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Phantastica.. thanks for mentioning that Stevia was natural.. I'd heard that word over and over and just dismissed it as another artificial sweetner I had to avoid. I did a little research on it.. it sounds pretty good.. now.. where to find it?
At our commissary (grocery store) Stevia is located with the other sweetners and sugars.....HHHHMMMMM............ Might be the same in a regular grocery store.
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 09:09 PM   #128  
DollyR

Quote:
oh... wait.. There are 10 live cultures in this Kefir! 10!
Is this a type of yogurt?
Old 07-23-2006, 09:11 PM   #129  
The Beauty of Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by DollyR
At our commissary (grocery store) Stevia is located with the other sweetners and sugars.....HHHHMMMMM............ Might be the same in a regular grocery store.
I'll look for it in the commissary.. (that's where I was today)
Old 07-23-2006, 09:12 PM   #130  
The Beauty of Balance

Quote:
It is related to yogurt.. but how they are different I don't know.. except that this is liquidy.. but I've seen liquidy yogurt too..

Good question.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:13 PM   #131  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Quote:
Supposedly, it's like thin yogurt. Kefir
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 09:18 PM   #132  
DollyR

In Korea we have these ladies who push these yellow carts and wear yellow outfits with big yellow visors. They are yogurt ladies. If I could read enough and understand enough Korean I bet there is something similar on thier carts and they would deliver yogurt to my door! I am sure they have something that would be beneficial as far as live culture yogurt goes. They probably have a kefir type drink as well.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:32 PM   #133  
The Beauty of Balance

Dolly
I don't know about Kefir in Korea.. I only just learned about it.. in Korea the little liquid yogurts are sweet but do contain live cultures (as far as I remember).. if we have Kefir in our commissary here.. I'll bet you have it there.. Though I bet it would be great to get it delivered to your door. Heck.. I'd like delivery too.

Oh,.. you want a great drink with live cultures? Try mackoli...oops I bet alchohol is not what you had in mind.. hehe
Old 07-23-2006, 10:12 PM   #134  
The Beauty of Balance

As far as yogurt vs Kefir, many websites are either too technical or perhaps biased.. but I found one that seems to be a good and simple reference. This exerpt is taken from this site: http://www.aldo.com/sgt/TesslerOnKefir2.htm

You might want to read the whole article or similar articles to get a clearer picture.

"Yogurt is made by culturing fresh milk (previously boiled and cooled) with a bacteria starter. The starter, usually containing two or three beneficial bacteria, comes from a previously made batch of yogurt. Yogurt must ferment in an environment warmer than normal room temperature (about 110 degrees), for a fairly specific amount of time (about 8 to 16 hours), in order to develop properly. The culture bacteria in yogurt have only a limited lifespan and must be renewed regularly with new culture.

In contrast, kefir is made by culturing fresh milk with live kefir grains. These grains are actually colonies of more than 30 bacteria and yeasts that are bound together in a stable, symbiotic relationship.[2],[3] Kefir ferments at room temperature, and has a wider range of acceptable fermentation periods (from about 12 hours to two days). Kefir grains stay alive and robust indefinitely. They also grow in size and number during the fermentation process. After the milk is fermented, the grains are filtered out and added to new milk for another batch of kefir."
Old 07-24-2006, 08:38 AM   #135  

Hi everyone,

What a great thread! You all have inspired me to seriously start incorporating super foods into my life. I actually went out and bought both books this past weekend. Anyway, I'm looking forward to sharing ideas with you all.

I know that someone requested the new superfoods and their side kicks from book 2, so here it is:

Apples: pear (1 a day)
Avocado: asparagus, artichoke, extra virgin olive oil (1/3 - 1/2 avocado multiple times a week)
Dark chocolate (100 cal a day)
Extra virgin olive oil: canola oil (1 tablespoon most days)
Garlic: scallions, shallots, leeks, onions (to taste, multiple times a week)
Honey (1 - 2 teaspoons multiple times a week)
Onion: garlic, scallions, shallots, leeks, chives (multiple times a week)
Kiwi: pinneaple, guava (any kind)
Pomegrantes: plums

I know that there's some repetition with the garlic and onion groups, plus it was a little confusing with the recommended consumption, as they're both different. Anyway hope this helps you all.
xtina is offline   Reply With Quote