Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 07-20-2006, 11:31 AM   #106  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Regarding frozen foods, I've read many articles that say frozen fruits and vegetables are better for you than fresh just because that they are frozen when they are picked and don't lose their nutritional value. I still like fresh vegetables but I have no qualms about frozen fruits or vegetbles.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 11:32 AM   #107  
hara hachi bu

I've heard that about frozen, too. For me it's just habit ... I'm in the habit of eating fresh veggies and fruits and I just don't think about buying frozen.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 12:22 PM   #108  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I use frozen fruit a lot more in the winter. I just can't afford fresh berries in the winter (considering how much I eat).
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 01:30 PM   #109  

S/C/G: 220/215/145

Height: 5'6

You guys are bumming me out, I have salmon in the fridge ready for consumption and i don't think it is "wild". I know for next time. Having had two kids I was aware of the mercury. Anyhoo, thanks for the recipe Nelie I might try that tonight, hopefully I will make it through the night after I eat this "not so good for me salmon" ha ha...

Filter feeders are an interesting topic and I figure there must be issues with that (clams, oyster etc...) Anyone have info on those? I like to eat can oysters on crackers with salt, lime, and hot sauce. One of those experimental things that has stuck.

Has anyone noticed that when something has blueberries in it, it is usually stamped by the American Heart Assoc. I was shopping around for organic cereal and noticed that. Of course I bought one with blueberries (hey, if they stamp it then it must be good).
anirtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 01:38 PM   #110  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 253/183/150

Height: 5'4"

Just got back from lunch. Scored both Superfoods and the new 3FC book! I REALLY wish I could read books (I am able to read magazines) on the elliptical. On the other hand, I probably don't want to get either of these books all sweaty..........!
BreakingFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 02:44 PM   #111  
Just Me

Anirtak - I mentioned before that I use Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch for general information on good seafood to eat and not so good seafood to eat. They give the thumbs up to both Oysters and Clams. Of course they don't give "good for you tips" but more it isn't bad for the environment or for your health in general.

http://www.mbayaq.org/cr/SeafoodWatc...et.aspx?gid=19

I also wouldn't worry about eating what you already have. I'd go ahead and eat the Salmon that you have. I also had some farmed salmon in my freezer when I found out about health concerns and environmental concerns. We ate the salmon but just hadn't had any since.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:57 AM   #112  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Quote:
Originally Posted by DollyR
What live cultures do you mean? The ones that form from fermentation or when the maker adds the seafood (oysters/small fish)to it?
The live cultures in kimchi are formed from the fermentation itself. There are many types of lactobacillus one which is associated with rotting vegetables. In case you wanted to do more research on it, the Korean term for the live culture is 젖산. It's the same as what you would find in authentic saurkraut. I don't know if the computer you are using supports Korean font, but if it doesn't, I'm sure you can read it when you return to Korea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DollyR
Also how do you make your own kimchi?
There are of course many ways to make kimchi. And many different kinds of kimchi. I don't add oysters or fish to mine but instead use a "fish sauce". This ingredient is easily accessible to me as it is used in many Asian countries. I don't trust kimchi sold in stores even if it is made by the shopkeepers themselves. Of course at a restaurant I eat what is served, but for home I like to be in control of the ingredients and process. This is the way I am with most things we eat at home, not just kimchi.

As for Korean foods coming from China.. I avoid them as much as possible. Did you want me to tell you in detail about the kimchi I made.. or is the info above what you were asking?

Miyok-guk is easy. I posted how I make it this thread a few months ago.http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...t=seaweed+soup
This is the simpliest version since I was trying to help someone unfamiliar with Korean food and cooking. I also frequently add cubed tofu to miyok-guk. It gives the soup more color, more nutrition of course, and also a different texture. (Of course it is one of our superfoods too. )

I'm glad to hear you like Korean food. It is a wonderful experience to both prepare and eat.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:25 AM   #113  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

There have been many lists of "super foods" over the years. Most have many of the same families of things listed, though the specifics may change from list to list -- berries, greens, oats, nuts, tomatoes, broccoli, beans, citrus, deep water fish. Sometimes whole grains and soy are added to the list as well as a few other "regulars" like tea. It's a great way to focus on the healthiest of foods.

On the pumpkin discussion:

Pumpkin stews are really good. Some of them are "served in a pumpkin" which means you make the stew, then put it in a hollowed-out pumpkin, and then bake the whole thing together. As you serve up the stew, you scrape some of the pumpkin flesh into your stew. (much easier than trying to pare and cut up the pumpkin to add to the stew in the first place, though you can do that, too if you want). Here are some stew recipes
http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-...n_stew,FF.html

For those who do smoothies, pumpkin is a good addition. I use pumpkin butter (like apple butter) instead of jam or jelly, though it's still rather sweet. Often, when I'm going to be baking anyway, I add pumpkin -- pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin muffins.

And of course, one of my absolute favorites is curried pumpkin soup. Very easy to make, too, 'cause it uses canned pumpkin. Here are some pumpkin soup recipes.
http://www.cooks.com/rec/search?q=pumpkin+soup

As to the Salmon/sidekick discussion:

Sardines are easy to add to salads. Just chop them up. Or mash a few of them into your dressing if you make your own dressing. I like kippered herring with thin slices of onion on Rykrisp crackers. I LOVE herring in sour cream. And of course, albacore tuna is easy to find in the store.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 12:20 PM   #114  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Synger,

Thanks for the smoothy idea using pumpkin. I think I will try it. I bet it adds a nice thickness.
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 01:08 PM   #115  
Just Me

Default Another recipe - black bean salad

I made this last night and it was pretty good.

Black bean salad (4 ? super foods)

1 cup black beans (drained)
1 cup whole kernel corn (I bought frozen, then heated slightly in microwave)
2 tomatoes, diced
1/2 bell pepper, diced (I used red, you could use orange)
2 green onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp cumin (or more)
salt and pepper to taste
Old 07-21-2006, 05:03 PM   #116  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I make a black bean salad at least once a week. I throw all that stuff over a big bowl of Romaine lettuce (to add another superfood!). My whole family loves it! (Although they all add dressing to it--I just do the lemon juice.)
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:09 PM   #117  
Finding Me Again

S/C/G: 235/212/140

Height: 5'3"

Just checking in. I'm soon to be incorporating the SuperFoods into my daily menu and truly appreciate all of the input from you guys! After reading the book, it can be a bit overwhelming. But this thread is a lifesaver to help break it all down into bite sized pieces!
olivia627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 02:07 PM   #118  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/135

I just made myself the yummyiest smoothie for breakfast and it incoorporated 4 of the super foods plus then I had whole grain toast and a cup of green tea. 6Superfoods for breakfast yay. Here is the recipe for it in case you want.

Orange Blueberry Soy Smoothie

2 C Minute Maid, Home Squeezed Style Orange Juice with Calcium & vitamin D
heavy pulp
1 C 8th Continent Light Vanilla Soy Milk
1 C Dannon Lowfat Vanilla Yogurt
1/2 C Blueberries, frozen (unsweetened)unthawed
1 C Peaches frozen
1/2 C Strawberries, frozen, unsweetened, unthawed

Fat: 1.2g
Carbohydrates: 31.9g
Calories:155.3
Protein: 5.5g

mix all of the ingredients in a blender or smoothie maker pour and enjoy.

Number of Servings: 4
trishn222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 12:14 PM   #119  
Finding Me Again

S/C/G: 235/212/140

Sounds DEE-LISH! I'm gonna try that!
olivia627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 05:11 PM   #120  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Went to the store today to stock up on Super Food supplies. Out of the 29 items all were superfoods or sidekicks except 7! I was suprised.

I looked for canned pumpkin....but couldn't find it.. and the store was way too busy to bother asking. In the fall it seems like that stuff is on every endcap.. so where did it go?! Maybe I'll have better luck next time.

I did find edamame... right there in the frozen food section right where some sweetie on this thread said they would be! Thanks.

Another new find was Kefir. Until Gloria mentioned it and then I read it in the book, I had never heard of this. So I bought 2 bottles.. one blueberry and the other plain. I'd like someones opinion to see if this is considered a lot of sugar for Kefir.

The brand is Lifeway ...

blueberry:
LowFat Blueberry Kefir
Ingredients: Cultured Lowfat Milk, Nonfat Milk, Organic Cane Juice, Blueberry Juice Concentrate, Natural Flavors, Inulin (A Natural Dietary Fiber), Red Beet Juice For Color, Vit. A Palmitate, Vit. D3

NUTRITIONAL FACTS
SERVING SIZE 1 CUP (240mL), SERVINGS 4
Calories 174 Fat Cal 20
Total Fat 2 g
Sat Fat 1.5 g
Cholesterol 10 mg
Sodium 125 mg
Total Carb 25 g
Fiber 3 g
Sugars 21 g
Protein 14 g

Vitamin A 10%, Vitamin C 4%, Vitamin D 25%, Calcium 30%, Iron 0%

The nutritional data for the plain is the same except it only has 12 g of carbs and 8 grams of sugar.. That seems to be a big difference. Also the ingredients for the plain are only:

Ingredients: Cultured Lowfat Milk, Nonfat Milk, Inulin (A Natural Dietary Fiber), Vit. A Palmitate, Vit. D3

As far as taste goes.. the blueberry is a bit sweet. I'll let you know about the plain when I finally open it.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote