Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 07-18-2006, 01:08 PM   #91  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Also the larger fish live longer and have more chance to absorb mercury.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 08:37 PM   #92  
hara hachi bu

Thumbs up Got 7 in today!

beans -- no
blueberries -- yes
broccoli -- no
oats -- yes, if my sprouted-grain breads/tortillas count (Ezekiel brand)
oranges -- yes, orange with breakfast
pumpkin -- no
wild salmon -- no
soy -- no
spinach -- yes, a mixed-green and spinach salad with lunch
tea -- no
tomatoes -- yes, in middle-eastern salad and in salsa fresca
turkey -- no
walnuts -- yes, all-natural peanut butter on toast for breakfast
yogurt -- yes

Last edited by phantastica; 07-18-2006 at 09:07 PM.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:43 PM   #93  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

So that's seven for you on one day, Phantastica.. Good for you!

I'm looking over my spreadsheet for the past week. I'm only going to report on the original 14 as I need to get the facts on the second book first.

These are the areas where I could be doing a lot better: broccoli, oranges, tea

These are areas where I'm doing "ok" but need more variety in sidekicks: pumpkin, spinach

I eat kimchi (a fermented cabbage with hot pepper flakes) almost daily so I probably could count it with the broccoli, but since it has beneficial live cultures I prefer to add it to yogurt section. It is a wonderful health food but I wouldn't really recommend it unless you make it yourself (I do) or can be assured of the ingredients and quantity of salt.

I'm going out of town.. but taking my spreadsheet with me.. I wonder how I do away from home.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 09:33 AM   #94  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie
Thanks, it has been a gentle transition over the years on my eating habits but it is worth it.

Well I think I've decided to slow it down on caffeine a lot. I have realized I have come to depend on it and get massive headaches if I don't drink it. Instead of being an every day thing, I'm thinking of once or twice a week. I said I will drink iced tea I make myself that way I know it is caffeine free, which basically means herbal iced tea I did have regular iced tea (but unsweetened!) yesterday but I didn't drink very much of it and I did enjoy it a lot.
I just wanted to add to this by saying this summer I have tried to wean myself off of caffiene. I am like a a big strong mug in the mornings to get me going. I been starting out with Maxwell House Lite coffee. If you read the label it is basically half decaf and half regualr. When I get back to Korea I am going to mix two bags of starbucks and slowly add more decaf than the other. I did not realise how much I was stick on caffiene until I got a massive headache trying to go cold turkey. Yesterday I was wound up beyond belief when I had regular coffee at the hotel we stayed in. Made me think about it....I saw difference and also needed a nap in the afternoon after it and a piece of blueberry crumb cake. I was way in over my head. I do have to say I am on vacation and am NOT beating myself up over things. I am going to throw away everything in my freezer and "CLEAN" my refridgerator.
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 09:41 AM   #95  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Default Yogurt recommendation

I checked my Trader Joe's yogurt this morning and it has 4 active cultures in it. I buy TJ's nonfat plain yogurt because it is basically the cheapest I can find. Fortunately, it is organic and good for you
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:04 AM   #96  
DollyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde

I eat kimchi (a fermented cabbage with hot pepper flakes) almost daily so I probably could count it with the broccoli, but since it has beneficial live cultures I prefer to add it to yogurt section. It is a wonderful health food but I wouldn't really recommend it unless you make it yourself (I do) or can be assured of the ingredients and quantity of salt.
A couple of Kimchi questions:

What live cultures do you mean? The ones that form from fermentation or when the maker adds the seafood (oysters/small fish)to it?

Also how do you make your own kimchi?

I eat kimchi almost everyday in Korea. We have a brand that they sell on the base and I also get a local brand at the E-Mart store. My boyfriend is very conscious of the ingredients so he reads all the labels before I buy it. (He is Korean.) I know there was a big Kimchi controversy very recently in Korea concering Kimchi made in Korea verses Kimchi made in China. Koreans were beginning to look for korean made kimchi in restaurants.

Also you referred to Mi-yuk Guk. The seaweed soup. I eat frequently. Do you have a recipe for that as well?
Old 07-19-2006, 10:06 AM   #97  
hara hachi bu

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie
I checked my Trader Joe's yogurt this morning and it has 4 active cultures in it. I buy TJ's nonfat plain yogurt because it is basically the cheapest I can find. Fortunately, it is organic and good for you
Thanks! I just checked my stuff and it only has two. I'll get my yogurt from TJ's from now on.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:06 AM   #98  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 253/183/150

Height: 5'4"

Hmm, I have always preferred "light tuna" to albacore (probably a holdover from childhood) but I guess it wouldn't qualify as a superfood? In addition to preferring the taste, texture and price, I like that it comes in those foil packets. Easy to transport for lunch and no draining needed. But maybe albacore comes in those packets, too? I'll have to check this weekend when I shop.
BreakingFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:10 AM   #99  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingFree
Hmm, I have always preferred "light tuna" to albacore (probably a holdover from childhood) but I guess it wouldn't qualify as a superfood? In addition to preferring the taste, texture and price, I like that it comes in those foil packets. Easy to transport for lunch and no draining needed. But maybe albacore comes in those packets, too? I'll have to check this weekend when I shop.
I've seen the albacore in foil pouches with Starkist...the pouch is HUGE though--not sure if it is the same kind of serving amount as a can, though....

Speaking of albacore, I am having some today for lunch!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:35 AM   #100  
Just Me

Is anyone able to post a list of the additional super foods and their side kicks from the second book? I think if we could have a good list with the 14 original super foods, their side kicks and then the additional ones, it'd be nice.

Last night, I found canned turkey at Costco. I think I'll be using that somehow. I also have some canned wild salmon which I can use.

I found this recipe from Health magazine while at the dentist's office:

Salmon Salad with Dill Vinaigrette

2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 (6 ounce) cans boneless skinless pink salmon
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 cup chopped cucumber
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/4 cup chopped pitted kalamata olives
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 (1-ounce) slices French bread (serve with, don't add to salad )

Last edited by nelie; 07-19-2006 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:44 PM   #101  
DollyR

I inquired about a Super Foods forum and was told they are not adding any right now. We should just continue to post here and share our information.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:22 AM   #102  
DollyR

Yesterday I tried to eat superfoods and had a great day. I do know I need to drink more water but I got at least ten super foods in. Does anyone know where the eggplant, mushrooms, zucchini, scallions and cucumbers fit in? I also had olive oil. I think Glory said it best when she said to focus on what you can eat not what you can not eat.

beans - Hummus

blueberries - Blueberries and cherries

broccoli - None but..add eggplant, mushrooms, zucchini, scallions, cucumbers

oats - oatmeal

oranges - Lemon on fish?

pumpkin - Pumpkin seeds in a Kashi Trail Mix Bar?

wild salmon - Bluefish

soy - none

spinach - orange bell peppers

tea - none

tomatoes - Tomatoes

turkey - turkey

walnuts - almonds

yogurt - none
Old 07-20-2006, 09:09 AM   #103  
Just Me

Default Salmon on sale at Trader Joe's

I went to Trader Joe's yesterday and Wild Salmon was 6.99. Trader Joe's sales generally last a while but I'm not sure how long it will be that price. I bought two packages.

I also bought some hummus because I've been eating my veggies with laughing cow cheese wedges and I wanted something a bit different. I like hummus but I don't always buy it. I plan to make it one day soon.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:23 AM   #104  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 253/183/150

Height: 5'4"

Regarding superfoods, I just read in Health magazine (while working out on the elliptical this morning before work - YEAH!) that wild blueberries have even more of the "good stuff" that makes blueberries a superfood than do regular blueberries. Apparently you can get them frozen, if you can't get them fresh. I don't have too much experience with frozen fruit, up 'til now I've pretty much only eaten fresh, but I plan to check it out next time I'm food shopping. And I'm going out on my lunch hour today to get the SuperFoods book at Barnes & Noble! Will I be able to find the 3FC book there as well?
BreakingFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 11:28 AM   #105  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DollyR
Yesterday I tried to eat superfoods and had a great day. I do know I need to drink more water but I got at least ten super foods in. Does anyone know where the eggplant, mushrooms, zucchini, scallions and cucumbers fit in? I also had olive oil. I think Glory said it best when she said to focus on what you can eat not what you can not eat.

pumpkin - Pumpkin seeds in a Kashi Trail Mix Bar?

spinach - orange bell peppers
Pumpkin seeds would count in the walnut group, but if you had orange peppers you can count them in the pumpkin group Some foods count in more than 1 group - like bok choy which counts into spinach and broccoli.

Eggplant, mushrooms, zucchini and cucumbers aren't super foods. While mushrooms are high in selenium, the other foods are GOOD but are not nutritional powerhouses. Don't get me wrong, they are GOOD FOODS and I definitely eat them. Scallions would fall into the onion super food group from the second book.

Here is an interesting link where you can look up the nutritional value of foods. If you look up eggplant, zucchini and cucumbers you can see they are kinda "eh" in the nutrition category. Still, they are definitely good foods!!!

For example:

Eggplant is not high in any single Vitamin or Mineral. However, it is very filling, while supplying few calories and virtually no Fat, and its "meaty" texture makes eggplant a perfect vegetarian main-dish choice.

Last edited by Glory87; 07-20-2006 at 12:21 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote