Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 07-17-2006, 11:01 AM   #61  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Hey Wyllenn, I have two favorite yogurts at the moment. I love Horizons organic fat free plain yogurt. It has 5 different active yogurt cultures (the part about yogurt that is so beneficial to health). I would eat it if it weren't fat free, it just happens to be fat free.

Stonyfield Farms is another good variety - 6 active cultures.

My other favorite is Greek yogurt. Trader Joe's has Fage 2%. It only has 2 yogurt cultures, I love Greek yogurt because of the consistency, it's like...a really thick cool whip (the consistency, not the taste). Blackberries mixed into Greek yogurt is a heavenly experience. Fat and calories are a little higher than the yogurt I typically eat, but it's worth it and definitely fits into my calorie/fat goals for the day.

The drawback to all these yogurts is price - more expensive than Yoplait. The Greek yogurt is especially expensive, I usually buy that as my "weekend" yogurt and consider it a treat and not an everyday thing (a treat because of price, not health).

I started out eating the Yoplait fat free, but I didn't like the high fructose corn syrup (which I know some people say is just fine, but I try to limit).
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 11:07 AM   #62  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Glory, you can make your own greek yogurt with regular yogurt. Just get a cheesecloth and drain regular yogurt in it. When I did it, I got a bowl, put a strainer over the bowl, then put a cheesecloth over the strainer. Dump the yogurt into the strainer overnight in the fridge and you get thick, greek style yogurt.

I also eat nonfat plain yogurt. As I am not eating any sweeteners, plain yogurt is really the only one I can eat. I generally add some type of fruit including blueberries.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 11:10 AM   #63  
hara hachi bu

I like 1% plain yogurt. Usually it's easier to find 2% plain and nonfat plain, so I usually buy one of each (whatever brand .. Old Home or Dannon, usually) and I mix them to make 1%.

How does one determine how many active yogurt cultures a particular brand has? Is this listed somewhere?
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 11:44 AM   #64  

Every brand I've seen lists the cultures some place on the package. If you look at the links I posted, Stonybrook lists the cultures in the ingredients section:

CONTAINS: SIX LIVE ACTIVE CULTURES INCLUDING: L. ACIDOPHILUS, BIFIDUS, L. CASEI, AND L. REUTERI.

Fage lists them in the product description section:

L. Bulgarious and S. Thermophilus.

Cool tip about the home made Greek yogurt!
Old 07-17-2006, 12:02 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Glory -- Thanks for the info! I kind of knew there were differences between yogurts and that Yoplait wasn't as "cultured" as some others, but I never even looked for the corn syrup...

Thanks for the tips. I will think about trying some next time I go to the store. If it's like all the other changes I've made in my life, it may take a while to get used to something new, but I'm liking the results I see from the healthier lifestyle, and it's often worth the transition!

I like my flavored yogurt -- but I think it might be really great to add some of the many berries I'm eating these days to plain yogurt. Like I said, I'm willing to give it a shot and let you know how it goes!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 12:29 PM   #66  
hara hachi bu

I used to eat flavored yogurt, but I switched to plain with berries and a little bit of stevia (a natural non-caloric herbal sweetener). After a few months I weaned myself of any sweetener at all, and now I just eat it plain with fruit, nuts, and cereal (a little Barbara's GrainShop).
Old 07-17-2006, 12:32 PM   #67  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I had my first superfoods breakfast today. I had oatmeal with wheat germ sprinkled on top and raisins sprinkled in it and then a cup of green tea. I feel great having done this.

Trish
trishn222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 12:33 PM   #68  

I definitely didn't go straight to plain yogurt with berries, it was a really slow process. First I ate yoplait fat free, then I switched to Fruit on the bottom horizons or stonybrook, then I started doing the plain yogurt sliced fruit combo. When I first started, it wasn't sweet enough, so I used to add about 1/2 tsp (that's really all it took) of dark honey. Now I can eat just the yogurt and fruit and I think it's very sweet.

Of course, it's more work. No more just grabbing 5 yogurts and I'm set to go for the work week. If I buy strawberries, they have to be sliced and put into baggies. Berries are so perishable, I usually buy them a couple of times a week, so it means more trips to the store. Plus, fresh berries are really reasonable now, but I'm probably going to have to switch to frozen in the winter - can't pay 4.99 for 6 oz of blackberries! I do keep a bag of frozen blueberries in the freezer, if I put them into a baggie in the morning, they are usually thawed and ready to be in yogurt as a snack in the afternoon.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:20 PM   #69  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 253/183/150

Height: 5'4"

I eat yogurt most days and my fave is Dannon Coffee but I'd like to get away from the sugar. I'm trying to figure out how to make my own coffee-flavored yogurt w/o much success. Like Glory, I like the Fage Greek yogurt for the texture and agree that it is too pricey to eat every day. Thanks for mentioning those other brands, Glory. And count me in as jumping on the "superfoods" band wagon. I'll be buying the book this week (as soon as I can find that 15% off Barnes & Noble coupon I got in the mail - where IS that darn thing?) I think this new focus is just what I need to jump-start my weight loss efforts.........
BreakingFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:56 PM   #70  

Default Super foods report

Thinking about the superfoods, I think I have been getting more in than I thought. Here's how I did today with superfoods and sidekicks.

beans - all beans are included, pinto, navy, great northern, lima, chickpeas, green beans, sugar snap peas, green peas

-- YES! In -- kidney beans in the the chili I'm making

blueberries - purple grapes, cranberries, boysenberries, raspberries, strawberries, currants, blackberries, cherries and all other varieties of fresh, frozen, dried berries

-- YES! Blueberries on my cereal and in a fiber one muffin

broccoli - brussel sprouts, cabbage, kale, turnips, cauliflower, collards, bok choy, mustard greens, swiss chard

-- Nope

oats - super sidekicks - wheat germ, ground flaxseed, other sidekicks - brown rice, barley, wheat, buckwheat, rye, millet, bulgur, wheat, amaranth, quinoa, kamut, yellow corn, wild rice, spelt, couscous

-- YES, some spelt and wheat. no other.

oranges - lemons, white/pink grapefruit, kumquats, tangerines, limes

-- NO... though I squeezed the juice of a lime on some mushrooms I cooked... but I don't think it would count...

pumpkin - carrots, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, orange bell pepper, carrots

-- YES. Carrots in my salad

wild salmon - alaskan hailibut, canned albacore tuna, sardines, herring, trout, seabass, oysters, clams

-- YES. Wild salmon in my salad, leftover from the weekend.

soy - tofu, soymilk, soy nuts, edamame, tempeh, miso

-- NO.

spinach - kale, collards, swiss chard, mustard greens, turnip greens, bok choy, romaine letuce, orange bell peppers

--YES -- spinach in my salad

tea - no side kicks, green or black

-- No.

tomatoes - red watermelon, pink grapefruit, japanese persimmons, red freshed papaya, strawberry guava

-- YES. Tomatoes in my chili.

turkey - skinless chicken breast

-- YES. Ground turkey in my chili

walnuts - almonds, pistachios, sesame seeds, peanuts, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, mcadamia nuts, pecans, hazelnuts, cashews

-- YES. Sesame seeds on the salmon and sunflower seeds in the salad

yogurt - kefir

YES! Yogurt for a snack.

Wow, *I* got 10! And I wasn't really trying! Though, I'm not completely sure what constitues a serving. I may check out the book too. I'm a freak for anything that talks about research!

Last edited by Heather; 07-17-2006 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:49 PM   #71  
hara hachi bu

Exclamation Pop Quiz

Uh oh, I better check my day out too:

beans - all beans are included, pinto, navy, great northern, lima, chickpeas, green beans, sugar snap peas, green peas -- no

blueberries - purple grapes, cranberries, boysenberries, raspberries, strawberries, currants, blackberries, cherries and all other varieties of fresh, frozen, dried berries -- no

broccoli - brussel sprouts, cabbage, kale, turnips, cauliflower, collards, bok choy, mustard greens, swiss chard -- no

oats - super sidekicks - wheat germ, ground flaxseed, other sidekicks - brown rice, barley, wheat, buckwheat, rye, millet, bulgur, wheat, amaranth, quinoa, kamut, yellow corn, wild rice, spelt, couscous -- no

oranges - lemons, white/pink grapefruit, kumquats, tangerines, limes
-- yes, orange with breakfast

pumpkin - carrots, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, orange bell pepper -- yes, carrots with dinner

wild salmon - alaskan hailibut, canned albacore tuna, sardines, herring, trout, seabass, oysters, clams -- no

soy - tofu, soymilk, soy nuts, edamame, tempeh, miso
-- no

spinach - kale, collards, swiss chard, mustard greens, turnip greens, bok choy, romaine letuce, orange bell peppers -- yes, a mixed-green and spinach salad with lunch

tea - no side kicks, green or black
-- no

tomatoes - red watermelon, pink grapefruit, japanese persimmons, red freshed papaya, strawberry guava -- no (does a minimal amount of pizza sauce count?)

turkey - skinless chicken breast -- yes, if chicken thigh meat counts

walnuts - almonds, pistachios, sesame seeds, peanuts, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, mcadamia nuts, pecans, hazelnuts, cashews -- yes, all-natural peanut butter on toast for breakfast

yogurt - kefir -- yes, raita with lunch

Well, I had six! Not too bad.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:55 PM   #72  

12! Just needed oranges and salmon

tofu (soy), bok choy (broccoli), cherries/raspberries (blueberries), sugar snap peas (beans), tea, chicken (turkey), orange pepper/carrots/butternut squash (pumpkin), grape tomatoes/salsa, romaine (spinach), whole grain bread/brown rice (oats), natural peanut butter (walnuts), yogurt

Just wanted to point that it's a little easier for me because I am eating maintenance calories. I can more easily fit in 200 calories for peanut butter and 100 calories for yogurt, etc. When I was trying to lose weight, I sometimes had to make choices in order to fit below my calorie goals for the day.

Last edited by Glory87; 07-17-2006 at 11:53 PM.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:16 PM   #73  
Bad Mamma Jamma

Wow, I just read this book and there are people talking about it.

I feel TOTALLY overwhelmed trying to figure out how to fit all this stuff in. I don't know how to plan my week! I'm glad I'll have a place to come for ideas and inspiration.
NicoleNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 11:22 PM   #74  

Glory -- I know what you mean about having enough calories to get it all in, though I am still eating around 1800/day... I think if I want to keep going, I'll need to lower it a bit more.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:18 AM   #75  

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleNYC
I feel TOTALLY overwhelmed trying to figure out how to fit all this stuff in. I don't know how to plan my week! I'm glad I'll have a place to come for ideas and inspiration.
Don't feel overwhelmed! I bet you eat lots of those foods all the time anyway. You don't have to make a crazy goal like I did (10 different groups), maybe you can make your goal just 10 in the whole day (counting strawberries and blueberries separately for example). A no pressure approach is definitely for the best!

I'm actually a big cheater, I get 6 every day without even trying. That's because I bag up the same veggies every day for snacks. On Sundays, I buy a carton of grape tomatoes, bag of carrots, bag of sugar snap peas and a red or orange or yellow pepper. I divide them up into 5 days. Right away - that's pumpkin (carrot), tomato, bean (sugar snap peas). I drink tea, every day. I eat the same things for breakfast every day (either oatmeal with dried blueberries, whole grain toast with natural peanut butter or whole wheat tortilla wrap with spinach leaves, eggbeaters and salsa). I know whatever combination I have for breakfast, I get at least 2 more.

If I don't have peanut butter for breakfast, I plan to eat nuts some other time during the day - either by themselves or in salad or stir fry or trailmix. I love yogurt and berries, so that's an easy way to add another 2. Leafy greens are a must - either in salad or on sandwiches. Spinach is actually easy to stick anywhere - in pasta, in stir fries. It wilts down fairly unobtrusively.

The hard ones for me are: salmon (I love salmon, but I kind of have to be planning to eat it), broccoli (try try try, but still not wild about it, can't eat it raw at all), soy (tofu and edamame are good, I just don't get them as much as I should) and oranges (eat one everyday when Tangelos are in season, but I tend to follow produce in season, so right now it's berries, mangos, watermelon).

One of the big things that helps me is going to the grocery store once a week and planning my meals/snacks for the week. Then, I like to do my Fitday several days in advance. I can see at a glance if I'm hitting all my goals!

The best thing about trying to fit in so many super foods every day - no room for junk! That's how I cut out all that processed junk and sugar - nearly by accident. I just needed to make room for super foods