Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 07-12-2006, 01:21 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DollyR
I have been trying to eat more healthy and searched for the list of super foods by Dr. Pratt. I thought I would share this list from the super foods website. Does anyone here try to eat any of these foods each day? I have been trying to get in something each day. Lately I have been on a frsh blueberry kick with my oatmeal.

Also are sweet potatoes and pupkins close enough to be consider having the same benefits?
Yes, me! I've posted several times that I credit that particular book with completely changing my life. My goal is to eat 10 different super foods a day. Don't stress too much about eating pumpkin, if you read the book, the author identifies the 14 super foods and then almost every food has "sidekicks" which offer similar health benefits. For example, walnuts are the super food but almonds would be a side kick. Spinach is a super food, but other dark leafy greens are sidekicks. Pumpkin is the super food, but carrots, orange peppers, butternut squash and sweet potatoes are side kicks

Alpha carotene - all 1 cup
Pumpkin cooked 11.7 mg
Carrots cooked 6.7 mg
Butternut squash, cooked 2.3 mg
Orange bell pepper .3 mg
Collards cooked .2 mg

Beta carotene - all 1 cup
Sweet potato cooked 23 mg
Pumpkin cooked 17 mg
Carrots cooked 13 mg
Spinach cooked 11.3 mg
Butternut squash, cooked 9.4 mg

He doesn't list them, but I would add mangos for 3.9 mg of beta carotene per cup and their delicious taste.

The author recently published a second book advocating a healthy approach to life (adding stuff like meditation and exercise). He also added a few more super foods: honey, pomegranates, kiwi, onions, garlic, dark chocolate, avocado, olive oil, spices and a few more I can't think of off the top of my head (I didn't buy the second book, just checked it out of the library).

I love the first book and refer to it all the time Definitely one of my best purchases EVER.

Last edited by Glory87; 07-12-2006 at 02:27 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:35 AM   #17  

Here are all the super foods and their sidekicks:

beans - all beans are included, pinto, navy, great northern, lima, chickpeas, green beans, sugar snap peas, green peas

blueberries - purple grapes, cranberries, boysenberries, raspberries, strawberries, currants, blackberries, cherries and all other varieties of fresh, frozen, dried berries

broccoli - brussel sprouts, cabbage, kale, turnips, cauliflower, collards, bok choy, mustard greens, swiss chard

oats - super sidekicks - wheat germ, ground flaxseed, other sidekicks - brown rice, barley, wheat, buckwheat, rye, millet, bulgur, wheat, amaranth, quinoa, kamut, yellow corn, wild rice, spelt, couscous

oranges - lemons, white/pink grapefruit, kumquats, tangerines, limes

pumpkin - carrots, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, orange bell pepper, carrots

wild salmon - alaskan hailibut, canned albacore tuna, sardines, herring, trout, seabass, oysters, clams

soy - tofu, soymilk, soy nuts, edamame, tempeh, miso

spinach - kale, collards, swiss chard, mustard greens, turnip greens, bok choy, romaine letuce, orange bell peppers

tea - no side kicks, green or black

tomatoes - red watermelon, pink grapefruit, japanese persimmons, red freshed papaya, strawberry guava

turkey - skinless chicken breast

walnuts - almonds, pistachios, sesame seeds, peanuts, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, mcadamia nuts, pecans, hazelnuts, cashews

yogurt - kefir

I try to eat 10 different super food groups a day. For example, if I eat blueberries for breakfast and cherries for a snack, that counts as 1, since they are both in the blueberry group. Same thing with watermelon and tomatoes or carrots and orange pepper. My goal is 10 different super foods every day! Check out my Fitday, I'm usually pretty good at meeting the goal
Old 07-12-2006, 09:33 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 273.5/see ticker/125-150???

Height: 5'2"

These sound really yummy! I'm gonna have to try at least one of your recipes...
puff0518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:27 AM   #19  

Here's another one, then.

Pumpkin brown rice pudding
Makes 12 servings

4 cups 1 percent milk (I have always used skim milk)
1 (15-ounce) can solid pack pumpkin
3/4 cup sugar (I use real sugar, but reduce the amount slightly)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 eggs, beaten
3 cups cooked long-grain brown rice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Toasted pumpkin seeds, optional garnish (haven't used these, but they sound awesome)
Whipped cream, optional garnish

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine milk, pumpkin, sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves in a saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Stir about 2 cups of pumpkin mixture into the eggs; whisk well, then return all to the saucepan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle simmer, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in rice and vanilla.

Pour into a 9- by 13-inch pan that has been sprayed with nonstick vegetable coating. Bake, uncovered, 45 to 60 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm.

Per serving (without optional garnishes): 162 calories (12 percent from fat), 2 grams total fat (1 gram saturated), 34 milligrams cholesterol, 31 grams carbohydrates, 5 grams protein, 97 milligrams sodium, 2 grams dietary fiber.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:33 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

I'm going to copy this for my next shopping trip. Thanks!
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:57 PM   #21  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Glory, thanks for adding the sidekicks list. It was VERY helpful! I hope you don't mind if I use it to create a post in Mediterranean. Of course I'll link to your original post.

Jayde

oh.. I would probably add a few things to the list... like seaweed all kinds... it has a lot of iron, calcium, magnesium etc... I wonder if it would be a sidekick to something else or have it's own category
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:27 PM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde
Glory, thanks for adding the sidekicks list. It was VERY helpful! I hope you don't mind if I use it to create a post in Mediterranean. Of course I'll link to your original post.

Jayde

oh.. I would probably add a few things to the list... like seaweed all kinds... it has a lot of iron, calcium, magnesium etc... I wonder if it would be a sidekick to something else or have it's own category
Of course not! I don't remember the author mentioning seaweed but I can easily check when I get home tonight (love the book, but don't bring it to work every day )
Old 07-12-2006, 03:53 PM   #23  

Height: 5'6"

I love all the pumpkin recipes, I will have to copy them and try a few. I bought a can of pumpkin the last time I was at the store, wanting to find something to make with it that was low calorie, but haven't made anything with it yet. I eat a lot of the things on the superfoods list, but I really don't care for yogurt, maybe if I mix it with something else where I don't taste it I could get it in once in awhile.
MelodyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 04:33 PM   #24  
The Beauty of Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87
Of course not! I don't remember the author mentioning seaweed but I can easily check when I get home tonight (love the book, but don't bring it to work every day )
Thanks, Glory. I'd think you'd keep this book in your back pocket!

I almost bought it the other day. Now I am glad I didn't as I didn't realize he has a newer one. I'll make sure to buy the newest one...

They might not be super foods according to Pratt's definition but here are a few other things that I'll be adding to my super foods list:

olives (shouldn't olives be on the list if olive oil is?)
the seaweed (kombu, wakame, or nori.. they are all good)
garlic, onions, chives, scallions, leeks, etc
hot peppers.. fresh and dried
sprouts... I think sprouts have a lot of power in them
vinegar and wine...
ginger
apples
what about asparagus?
Old 07-12-2006, 04:54 PM   #25  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde
Thanks, Glory. I'd think you'd keep this book in your back pocket!

I almost bought it the other day. Now I am glad I didn't as I didn't realize he has a newer one. I'll make sure to buy the newest one...

They might not be super foods according to Pratt's definition but here are a few other things that I'll be adding to my super foods list:

olives (shouldn't olives be on the list if olive oil is?)
the seaweed (kombu, wakame, or nori.. they are all good)
garlic, onions, chives, scallions, leeks, etc
hot peppers.. fresh and dried
sprouts... I think sprouts have a lot of power in them
vinegar and wine...
ginger
apples
what about asparagus?
I actually much prefer the first book to the second, the second was really redundant. I own the first one in hardcover and checked the second book out of the library (I did photocopy all of the good recipes out of the second book before I returned it). He does group foods by "season" in the second book which makes it handy figuring out what will be available when.

Here's a link to the books:

SuperFoods Rx : Fourteen Foods That Will Change Your Life - Book 1

SuperFoods HealthStyle : Proven Strategies for Lifelong Health - Book 2

I don't remember him mentioning seaweed, but in the second book he adds additional super foods: garlic, onions (and leeks/shallots etc as sidekicks), honey, apples, olive oil, pomegranates, spices (don't remember the exact ones), kiwi, dark chocolate, avocado (I think asparagus was an avocado sidekick, but I'll have to doublecheck). He does not mention hot peppers or olives - maybe because they are pickled/salted? It's possible he mentions red wine in the first book in the blueberry section, I'll have to double check.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:02 PM   #26  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyL
[...]but I really don't care for yogurt, maybe if I mix it with something else where I don't taste it I could get it in once in awhile.
I don't force anything down me that I really don't like, but if you want to sneak some yogurt in, try mixing some into a shake or smoothie. It also makes a great base for a salad dressing or dip.

I eat most of those foods on a daily basis too, Jayde, though seaweed is probably more like once a fortnight.
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:01 AM   #27  

No mention of seaweed in the index, but he does talk about red wine in the blueberry section. He basically says that limited amounts of red wine may be beneficial but he is hesitant to recommend alcohol. Instead he talks about drinking juice (but making sure to take the calories into consideration).
Old 07-13-2006, 06:52 AM   #28  
The Beauty of Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87
No mention of seaweed in the index, but he does talk about red wine in the blueberry section. He basically says that limited amounts of red wine may be beneficial but he is hesitant to recommend alcohol. Instead he talks about drinking juice (but making sure to take the calories into consideration).
Glory, thanks for looking this up. Before I head to the bookstore let me make sure I understand. If you didn't have either of these books you would still buy the first one and then borrow the second, right?

I read the reviews you linked for both books and it seems that a lot of people thought his second book was redundant... was it redundant in itself or just with what it already said in the first book?
Old 07-13-2006, 10:37 AM   #29  

Hey Jayde, I definitely preferred the FIRST book. In the first book, he identifies the 14 super foods and has a nice chapter for each super food talking about the sidekicks and the studies that back up his theories for why the particular super food is particularly healthy. Each section has recipes.

The second book was focused on total health, which is good. The emphasis is on a healthy lifestyle and he adds sections on meditation and exercises. He divides the book into "seasons" - winter, spring, summer, fall. Where it gets redundant is he mentions all the previous super foods AGAIN while adding mroe super foods to each season. So (for example, I don't have this book at home) the winter chapter might talk about 3 super foods from the previous book (with an abbreviated look at the studies) and then add 3 more super foods (with abbreviated studies).

The second book wasn't terrible, there were a LOT of good recipes (which I photocopied), it just didn't have the same WOW I must buy this book factor that the first book had (for me).

I would definitely want to keep the first one on hand. I might buy the second one when it comes out in paperback, but I didn't want to shell out dollars for hardcover.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:51 PM   #30  

Glory,

Could you say more about how the book changed you life? Thanks,

Paula
irishgreengables is offline   Reply With Quote