Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:05 PM   #166  

Flower I'm interested to know how it works with the extra meal. Although it's a huge struggle with food, I hope that once in a while you give yourself a lot of credit for maintaining your weight, not throwing in the towel with the endless work. It's basically swimming upstream, so maybe eating off plan is taking a rest in the shallows, in order to keep swimming. Ok I think I've exceeded 3FC's corny metaphor quota.

Thank-you for the naturopathic remedies! I appreciate your info, as you sound very well-versed. I thought B12 was easy to get in animal protein? Sounds like the supplement has made a big difference for you. I have D3 but fell off taking it. I'll start again and also deploy my SAD light. It's a challenging time of year in challenging times everywhere, that's for sure.

My chest tightness is gone for now. Communication is flowing better with family, I ate 3 meals today without a fast, and I had some down time.

Wed food
Coffee/heavy cream, protein shake
B scrambled eggs, bite of a bagel, 1/2 new potato
L chicken breast, guacamole, apple slices
D won ton soup with cabbage and carrots

'Night all!
Sundove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:35 AM   #167  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Hi everyone! Work’s been busy - still reading though! Thinking about Chunka too...hoping her being MIA is due to studying and not being diagnosed with a concussion.

Thinking of you all!
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:54 AM   #168  

Morning All!
Good to see you IPN I'm glad to know you're here reading. i like to read too, even if I don't have time to comment. Hope work is 'good' busy.

Chunkahlunkah Phone home! Oops that's so 1980s. Seriously, we hope you're ok and looking forward to a TDay breather next week.

Flower Trying to imagine your weather right now and hoping you're staying warm. Do you have heat on overnight? Here it rarely gets below freezing at night. I like a cold room, with lot of covers.

Yesterday was to be 3 meals. In reality, i also had my am coffee concoction and a bedtime snack of apple slices and chicken breast. I slept well and weight was down another lb. The scale has been bouncing around. I gained after the weekend's wine and carb load. I think I've lost that now and back on the losing track. Whatever comes up this weekend, I have a good idea for what I can and cannot handle, in order to see scale going down.

I can't believe it's almost Thanksgiving. My sister and her family will spend it with my mother. I'm on own recognizance. I'll either volunteer at a shelter or go on a hike along the ocean. I'm thrilled at the thought of 2 days to myself. Will try out ushering at the symphony the next day.

Last edited by Sundove; 11-15-2018 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:24 PM   #169  

Sundove Last night I wrote a post from my ipad. It completely got lost while posting. Now on my pc laptop.
Thanks for your kind encouraging words. All metaphors appreciated, as long as kind, lol. Re: B12, it is very hard to absorb in the body. Some people need injection or an alternative that can be easily absorbed. I stumbled on it. I just decided for myself that I needed it. When I applied the cream, the anxiety based body buzzing stopped. But that's just me. Yay for chest tightness being gone. I am sure that's a relief.
Great that you took a day off from the IF program.

Weather, you ask? yesterday the high for the day was in the mid 20s. The low was, I think 9 degrees. Oh yes, heat for sure. We are way below average for temps. Average temp is 47 degrees. We have not seen that for quite a while. Nor is it in the 10 day forecast. Not even close. So this year is shaping up to be way below normal. I will take that of course over the nightmares that many places in CA are experiencing. Your volunteer prospects sound great.

IPN great to hear from you. Yes, I have been thinking about Chunkahlunkah. Wish I could hear some word about or from her. Just to know she is okay. Sounds like you are doing well, but busy

I will write more later. Just wanted to check in for now. I hope you both have a great day <3
flower123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:25 PM   #170  

Thurs
B coffee, cream, protein shake
L salad, feta, chicken,cucmber, carrots, beets, onion, evoo, coco aminos; apple slices
D omelette with 2 eggs, egg whites, guacamole, salsa, feta, apple slices.
sweet potato, corn, salsa

Flower Yikes, that is frostbite cold! I would like it for week or so to have fun hibernating with some good books. But to actually get out and get things done, and for several months is another story. Gotta be made of hardy stock to live in Vermont!

California is changing, for sure. Today in SF area, the air quality was 'purple' which is worse than red, and red is very bad. A relative of a friend is a forensic archaeologist-maybe it's anthropologist. She has been identifying human remains in the burned areas. Although she's familiar with a certain proximity to unnatural & tragic death, this has hit her hard.

Time to get some good winter reading and settle in. Geminid meteor showers peaking in a few weeks, 12/13-14.

Last edited by Sundove; 11-15-2018 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:05 AM   #171  

Fri
L salad/chicken/feta/evoo; apple slices
D wonton soup
S B-up bar

Stood down an apple pie and 3 sheet cakes at work. It wasn't hard. I had read one of the Beck cards in that forum. Thank-you BillBlueEyes! It's one that said something like 'dieting is easy once you give up unplanned eating.' I sat near the treats but it didn't bother me at all.

Good night!

Last edited by Sundove; 11-17-2018 at 01:18 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:13 AM   #172  

Sat
Morning All

Had a nice downward whoosh & feeling more comfortable in my skin. I'm not feeling any food deprivation, or racing to a finish line. In other words, I feel food peace right now.

This quote that BillBlueEyes recently shared hit home this week:
"Once I accept the fact that I have to give up unplanned eating, dieting will be easier."

from Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution

Plan for today:
B Coffee with cream, protein shake
L turkey roll ups
D maybe frittata, maybe Whole Foods hot bar. Long day ahead. Resting tomorrow.

Last edited by Sundove; 11-17-2018 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:09 AM   #173  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Sundove: Yay!!! Feeling food peace is such a great feeling!!!! Mine comes in waves...
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 12:48 PM   #174  

Sorry, i came and read, but didn't respond for a couple of days.

Sundove the purple air quality alert is such a painful indicator of what's going on. Are you wearing a surgical mask?
This is all so horrifying. my prayers have been going out to all effected.

Weather here is predicted to remain "teeth chattering cold" this winter. With lots of snow. What's happening in CA gives perspective on feeling overly sorry for myself re the upcoming months.

Congrats on resisting the sweets. You are in a groove, or so it would seem. Feeling more comfortable in your skin. Woohoo !!!

IPN great to see you! Hope you are feeling okay

i have a scheduled dr apt on Tuesday. In preparation I am cutting out grains and feta.
I am going to Costco. Samples will be my last treat until Tuesday night. Other than that it will be chicken breast with a tiny bit of mustard, spring mix with lemon and a bit of sesame oil, green beans and cabbage. I am going to let myself have frozen peaches or strawberries as a consolation prize. It will cost mr 9 dollars for 3 days but that's okay. By the time I go on Tuesday, my BP will be good. And my weight should be down enough to feel somewhat okay being weighed. I am certain I still will show a gain. But i think it should be only 3 lbs.
i may even weigh myself before I go on Tuesday.

I hope it doesnt snow snow on Tuesday when I go to the dr. I will be driving home in the
dark at rush hour.
*** edited in. I just got the courage to weigh myself. I am up 3 lbs. I am certain that will be lost by Tuesday. Because I am eliminating almost all sodium and carbs. Loss from reducing Sodium should make a diff.
Hope you both have a great day.

Last edited by flower123; 11-17-2018 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:35 AM   #175  

Food today was odd
Costco samples ??
coffee 300
frozen peaches 180
chicken cooked with sliced garlic. With cooked cabbage and Dijon mustard 200
spring mix with a tiny bit of onion and splash of sesame oil. 100
2 oz Belgian bittersweet chocolate 350?
Brussels sprouts. No oil or seasoning. Yum. 100?
Total without samples 1230
no added salt. No grains or starches.
I wish there was a way to find out how Chunkahlunkah is doing
Hope everyone has a great day.

Last edited by flower123; 11-18-2018 at 02:40 AM.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:22 AM   #176  

Thanks IPN thanks for that--about waves of food peace. It's the long view, rather than assuming what is happening is a steady state. See accounting below Hope you're getting some time for R & R in your busy week.

Hi Flower Working from the top, I have masks and an air purifier that runs 24/7. The masks are specific to filter the contaminants from the fire. I see a lot of people wearing surgical masks, paint masks, dust masks, none of which do anything at all. But I also see people sporting the gogmask which consists of a sporty-patterned fabric mask with a disposable filter insert----the new fashion.
I'm hearing amazing stories of people stepping up to help. Some people are so creative and resourceful in the ways they respond to others in need. It's humbling.

Flower that bitter cold forecast is hanging over you, and I know winter lasts a long long time in your corner of the country. I don't like the darkness of winter & spend the whole year dreading it, finding ways to improve it, and recovering from it. I know I'm lucky not to have the bitter cold as well. Anyway, this year I'm having some good results with 'one day at a time' ie, right now is not the best time to ruminate about Feb/March cabin fever. And also reminding myself that longer daylight really will be here in the not-too-distant-future. And making the best of things, in my head. It's helped. Note to self: "Whistle while you work"

Good luck with the MD visit. I'm interested to hear how it works out. I would not be able to restrict with that deadline--wt loss deadlines trigger major rebellion for me. I'm glad you're enjoying peaches---edible sunshine. Sending you good thoughts to get a weight you like in your record. I think that is the walk of maintenance---a tougher walk than that of losing. Btw I love reading your strategy of lowering sodium and carbs---that should do it. Looks like you did well with it. If you feel the Costco samples had too much sodium, could you flush it out with water?

Re Chunkahlunkah, Did you PM her? I don't know if there is a way to email someone. 3FC has an email address but likely it is kept private. I'm assuming she is not reading or would have responded to say she is ok. That leaves 3 possibilities imo--too swamped with school; not focused on dieting; or dealing with the injury (Oh how I hope not the latter one). The anonymity of 3FC gives a certain freedom to be candid about very personal things. I respect that people want to remain anonymous--I wouldn't want certain people to recognize me here. A while back, a 3FC member did her own sleuthing to check up on some one--found his likely FB page. I thought that was going over a line. She didn't out his identity, though, just told us what she thought was going on.

It's just especially concerning that she told us she had been injured and we don't know if it got better or worse. It's hard not to know--even in anonymity, the friendship is real. I know that she has family and friends. I would love it if she popped up over the holidays. Then we can scold her

This is getting long winded so I will do my accounting & confessions in a separate post.

EDIT just stepped outside. Visibility is low but it feels damp, more like fog that is usually responsible for low visibility. Hard to know for sure, but cautiously optimistic that there's incoming weather that will help contain the fires and blow out the smoke.

Last edited by Sundove; 11-18-2018 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:42 AM   #177  

Saturday
As if to demonstrate the flip side of the Beck card about accepting that I can't eat spontaneously....I was overwhelmed with tasks and problems to solve from the night before. there wasn't time to nail down my food and I didn't have my salad ingredients at hand. I made turkey roll ups for lunch and figured to get some food for dinner. By the time I got to my Mom's, I was famished, so I sat in her driveway and ate the turkey rolls. In the eerie smoky light, a flock of Bushtits were foraging and chasing each other among the shrubs and still-bloming rosebushes. They are Walt Disney birds--beyond adorable. The car was like sitting in a blind and I enjoyed the close up looks.

The rest of the day was all-consuming. By evening, I became hungry and picked at some of the foods I cooked for my mother. But also at her junk food supply. Then I did some self-medicating because i felt I had an excuse to, that old 'get it out of your system" thinking.

L turkey rollups with red leaf lettuce, gucamole-2 packets
Rest of day
some 2 or 3 pork ribs, 2 mini ice cream drumsticks, taste of brocc fritatta, about 3 oz tJ's 'just chicken' in 1 TBS mayo; 2 B-up bars;
Once in my home town, a piece of store bought layer cake and a small candy bar. Another packet of guacamole.

Using your metaphor IPN, I hit the trough of the food peace wave . I'm happy I didn't crave anything. And I don't want anything today besides my usuals.

Today I hope to have a break to shop and then cook up some nice veg dishes for the week. I just have 2 days of work, then off Wed thru Sun.

Sending stay strong vibes to all of us today!

Last edited by Sundove; 11-18-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:26 PM   #178  

Sundove, great that you are off from work Wednesday through Sunday. I loved the description of the birds you were watching n your mom's parking lot. Animals etc can so quickly bring us out of our mind, into our hearts.

Of course I can understand how and why you succumbed to eating treats. For many who have food issues, etc it's often quite a challenge to not succumb during those times when the mind rationalizes. sucumbing to treats etc. seems so logical in the moment. It does often instantly quiet the cravings

You know a lot about air masks for the face. I do hope the moisture you felt in the air is a harbinger of gentle rain to come. Snuffing out the fires.

Re Chunkahlunkah, while I wish there is a way to find out how she is doing, I respect her annynomity. So "wishing" and sending light to her is as far as I go. i would consider anything more to be out of bounds. I remember the woman who did sleuthing to find out why a man stopped posting. I felt alarmed by her breach of anonymity. I was personally effected by other sleuthing she did. It involved photos I posted many, perhaps 6? months prior.
So I send Chunkahlunkah light. And know that when she can, she will post.

Re my food yesterday, I must do better today. And I know I will. If I could nix the starch/grains and processed sugars I would be great. I have established some unacceptable new food habits. For me, it's a matter of quantity. and cutting out the starches and processed sugars. (Yes, I repeated myself,

IPN I hope you are doing well today. Hope all is going well.

Hope today is great for everyone reading this <3

Last edited by flower123; 11-19-2018 at 02:06 AM.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:29 PM   #179  

Sunday
coffee, cream, protein shake
chicken breast pieces, guacamole packet, chicken sausage
split pea soup, frozen corn
hot choc

Back in the am. Hope everyone had a good day.

Last edited by Sundove; 11-18-2018 at 09:20 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:00 AM   #180  

Hi all
today was pretty good. There was a lot of craving. This time of year is especially challenging for dieting. But it's important to reel it in. They had mashed sweet potatoes with sugar sample at Trader Joe's. I was able to say no to it.

Hoping to change my Dr apt to Monday. Tuesday it will snow again. Only up to 2" this time. Previous storm last week was 7 inches. But 2" is enough to make the roads slippery. I do not want to be driving home on snowy roads in a hilly area in rush hour traffic at dusk or even dark, when the roads often become worse.

Changing the apt will be tricky. My MD is very popular. She's booked a few months in advance. But I will try my best. 3 months ago when I made this follow-up apt, I had no clue that mid Nov. would be snowy.
I dream of doctors here doing skype appointments.

coffee 300
peaches 180
chicken breast with garlic cabbage and a bit of mustard 200
spring mix with 2 T minced onion and 30 calories salad dressing 60
brussels sprouts 80
chicken breast, garlic, green beans, cabbage and mustard 240
total 1060
hope your Monday is great

Last edited by flower123; 11-19-2018 at 02:09 AM.