Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 08-08-2018, 04:32 PM   #121  
Shorty getting fit

S/C/G: 162/132/119

Your trip sounds exciting!

I'll have to try a Hannah sweet potato someday. I've only had the kind with orange flesh. I'm a big yam lover. One of my favorite small meals is a baked sweet potato with some good butter, salt, and walnuts. I even throw on some maple syrup when I'm feeling decadent.

I diet best w/o a deadline too. I hope you find your winning starch/fat combo. I like the order you chose with fat at lunch and starch at dinner. I think that would actually work best for me too in terms of keeping my appetite in check.

One of my department's events will be at the chair's home, so I'll eat all of that meal so as not to offend. The other events should be easier to control my portion. Your scone story reminded me of when I was in high school. I'd just moved to a new school, and my new group of friends there would all get this giant blueberry muffin for lunch. I started doing that too, and within a couple of months I'd gained almost 10 pounds! I'd never gained weight before that. I was so young and innocent then, no clue at first that a muffin is basically a slab of cake. The weight came off quickly though, thankfully.

Life's been hectic the past few days, but I think I'm finally all done with the "must do's" for my move. Which is good, since I have to leave for the airport in less than 12 hours. I still have some shopping to do but that's stuff that can wait a couple of days.

In case I'm not back before your trip, have a wonderful time!

Last edited by Chunkahlunkah; 08-08-2018 at 04:54 PM.
Chunkahlunkah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:36 PM   #122  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkahlunkah View Post
Your trip sounds exciting!

I'll have to try a Hannah sweet potato someday. I've only had the kind with orange flesh. I'm a big yam lover. One of my favorite small meals is a baked sweet potato with some good butter, salt, and walnuts. I even throw on some maple syrup when I'm feeling decadent.

I diet best w/o a deadline too. I hope you find your winning starch/fat combo. I like the order you chose with fat at lunch and starch at dinner. I think that would actually work best for me too in terms of keeping my appetite in check.

One of my department's events will be at the chair's home, so I'll eat all of that meal so as not to offend. The other events should be easier to control my portion. Your scone story reminded me of when I was in high school. I'd just moved to a new school, and my new group of friends there would all get this giant blueberry muffin for lunch. I started doing that too, and within a couple of months I'd gained almost 10 pounds! I'd never gained weight before that. I was so young and innocent then, no clue at first that a muffin is basically a slab of cake. The weight came off quickly though, thankfully.

Life's been hectic the past few days, but I think I'm finally all done with the "must do's" for my move. Which is good, since I have to leave for the airport in less than 12 hours. I still have some shopping to do but that's stuff that can wait a couple of days.

In case I'm not back before your trip, have a wonderful time!
Chunkahlunkah, I'm so glad you found time to check in before your flight. Safe travels and happy landings! Yeah that Chair's dinner sounds like a must--here's hoping it's delicious! I remember thinking a muffin was somehow different than a slab of cake. If we knew then what we now know

If I have connectivity, I will check in and stay accountable. Looking forward to hearing from you. Among all the new & exciting things, there's the fun of setting up a new kitchen.

Sundove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:30 AM   #123  

Chunkahlunkah I hope you had a smooth trip and are enjoying an opportunity to sleep in, in your new time zone No worries re replying, I'm still talking to you anyway

Re fat experiment, my jeans feel snug, so I am going to quit the heavy cream in my coffee. I'm one who could never lose if Pbutter or avocado were part of my WOE, even if calories were low. I'll keep at the separation of fat & carbs for lunch/dinner. I learned about that in another diet plan but never actually tried it. The idea is to fool insulin, the fat-storing hormone. If you have fats without carbs, there won't be a spike of insulin to store those fats, rather you'll more likely burn them up. If you have carbs without a lot of fat, again, you'll burn them up rather than turn them into fat for storage. It makes some sense and explains why the junk foods we love make us gain---the combo of fat and carbs. It's still necessary to watch portions, and between meal snacking--my 2 nemeses!

re sweet potatoes, I like the orange flesh ones as well. The probably have more carotenoids, too. Here, they have been labeled in the store as Garnet Yams. But lo & behold, when I bought some yesterday, all of the yams bins were labeled 'sweet potatoes.' There are usually 3 types-Garnet, Hannah, & Japanese. The latter are purple on the outside, whitish on the inside.

The mornings are darker and the evenings shorter. My mood is reflecting that change. Today I'm typing under the Sunbox , have added D supplements, and treated myself to a really good & cushiony pair of running shoes to make it more pleasant to go for outside walks.

Thursday

B coffee with (less) cream, protein shake, omelet with cheese vegs
L green salad with chicken breat, vegs, dressing
D turkey chili, garnet sweet potato, broccoli, bone broth
S protein bar

2L water
Steps 3567

Last edited by Sundove; 08-09-2018 at 11:21 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:43 AM   #124  

Friday
B coffee, shake,cream; omelet with cheese, sausage, spinach
L salad with chicken, evoo
D turkey chili, garnet sweet potato, rice
S protein bar and some store-bought salad--veggie crunch that hd raisins in it.

steps 5573
water 2+ L
Old 08-11-2018, 04:17 PM   #125  
Shorty getting fit

I hope your vacation is off to a lovely start!

I've been settling into my new place. I got a grocery delivery yesterday. It feels more like home now to be stocked up with my regulars.

I don't have a scale yet. I'd intended to buy one when getting here, but this move is already adding up to a small fortune. So now I'm considering not getting one and just waiting until I'm home again to weigh myself. I should be back in NY in December. So, it'll be quite a wait. I'm a fan of suspense, fortunately. I'm going to keep tracking my calories though. I was able to spare space in my luggage for my food scale.

I can't wait until I get my student ID so that I can start using the rec center. It's huge and very nice!

That's so funny that your store switched to the sweet potato label. I was in my old store on Tuesday, and I noticed they were calling the garnet ones "yams."

If you're able to check in and it's not a bother, I'd love to hear about your vacation! No worries though if that needs to wait until your return.

Calories:
THURS - mid 1100's
FRI - high 1300's
Old 08-12-2018, 12:45 AM   #126  

Chunkahlunkah, Good to hear you are settling in! Ooh that rec center sounds nice— an inviting place to restore mind-body balance ��. They might have a scale there, if you feel like weighing. But then you won’t have suspense . When will your classes start?

I got up really early to walk to the airporter. It was a nice walk, very peaceful right before the sun came up. I’ll join up with a group of birders tomorrow. Today I went to my favorite places near Tucson. It was hot but then there was a loud thuderstorm and that cooled things off. The summer monsoon season draws all sorts of wildlife. There are swarms of butterflies, lots of birds. The desert in bloom is so beautiful.

My camera suddenly stopped working so I am trying to decide whether to replace it or just skip the photog. Forgot to pack my rain gear. Some shopping will happen tomorrow.

B coffee, last of the cream, protein shake
L Indian taco (deep-fried) with chili
D salad with chicken, cantaloupe
S protein bar

Steps 9830
Water 2 L

Last edited by Sundove; 08-12-2018 at 12:48 AM.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:06 PM   #127  
Shorty getting fit

Ahh, that sounds like such a tranquil vacation with eye candy galore. Did you decide if you'll be getting a new camera? How was birding today? Did you have a favorite?

I love thunderstorms. I hope you got some rain gear so you're toasty.

I'm having second thoughts about regularly visiting the rec center. It's a long walk from where I live, and in the current heat, that really doesn't appeal. Maybe I'll start going there once it cools down in a few months. In the meantime, I'll either use my dvd's or get Beachbody on Demand again (a streaming service). Although I brought my favorite workout dvd's with me, I don't yet have a dvd player to play them on, grrr. My laptop doesn't have one built-in. That helps keep its weight low, but I'll need to get an external dvd player.

Next week I have training for my TA'ship, and my classes start the following week.

SATURDAY

B: Turkey and cheese sandwich. Decaf tea with milk. (I had to leave my French press at home bc it's a heavy stainless steel contraption.)
L: Fage 2% topped with berries and bran flakes. Small glass of oj.
D: Chana masala frozen meal. (Pretty meh, wouldn't buy it again.)
Calories = high 1200's
Exercise = I can't remember. I might have walked around campus, but the days are blurring together.

SUNDAY

B: Turkey and cheese sandwich. Decaf tea with milk.
L: Chunky Monkey ice cream.
S: 1 carrot. 1 banana.
D: Butter chicken frozen meal. (Better than yeserday's. Would get this one again.)
Calories = high 1300's
Exercise = 45 min walk.
I'm done eating for the day. I may have some tea later, but that will be 0 or, at most, 20 calories.

Last edited by Chunkahlunkah; 08-12-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:14 AM   #128  

Looks like my post yesterday went into the black hole of cyberspace. Dang! So excited for you re TA training coming up. Hope you absolutely love it. You sound like a natural teacher.

Very wise to respect the heat, Chunkahlunkah. Any chance tou coukd get a cheap external dvd player to hook up to your compurter, maybe Best Buy or Walnart?

Great job with keeping on with your accountability and WOE Bravo!!

Today meals look a little carb heavy. I’ll make the best choices I can.Yesterday was a good day.
Will post more later. I love all the birds of the desert, but the eye candy ones were Blue Grosbeak, Vermilion Flycatcher, Western Tanager. Roadrunner is always a treat!

Btw love your breakfasts—

Last edited by Sundove; 08-13-2018 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:18 AM   #129  

Sun
B 3 eggs, 3 sausage patties
L protein bar
D chicken breast w mole sauce, mixed vegs-carrots, squash, onion, dinner roll & butter, green salad

steps 5900
water not enough for 102 degrees , about 3 L
Old 08-13-2018, 01:22 PM   #130  
Shorty getting fit

I googled those birds. What cuties.

I've never had an Indian taco, but I've seen them on tv and would love to try one. Did you like it?

Yes, I'll be getting an external dvd drive. My brother picked out a good cheap one for me. Only $33. I'll probably order it next week.

My training starts tomorrow, and it's pretty non-stop until Friday afternoon. On the plus side, they'll be providing free food.

MONDAY
B: Turkey and cheese sandwich. Small glass of oj.
L: Hummus with carrots. Cheddar cheese.
S: Multigrain tortilla chips with Texas style salsa. (This was a surprise housewarming gift that my sister ordered for me from Harry & David. She chose TX to honor my new locale. This was really good! I love the taste of quality. )
D: Tuna salad on 1 slice of bread. Decaf tea with milk.
Calories = high 1100's.
Exercise = 40 min walk.

Last edited by Chunkahlunkah; 08-13-2018 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:28 PM   #131  
Shorty getting fit

TUES
B: Pb on 1 piece of bread. Glass of milk. Half of a breakfast burrito.
L: Half of a turkey sandwich. Cookie.
D: Other half of a turkey sandwich. Chips. Cheddar cheese.
Calories = low 1400's
Exercise = none

WED
B: Fruit salad. Half of a croissant. Half of a fruit pastry.
L: Turkey sandwich. Lemonade.
S: Cookie. Tea with milk.
D: Probably just an apple. But it will be a delicious Harry & David apple that I'm looking forward to.
Calories = mid 1300's (unless I eat more than the apple for dinner)
Exercise = none, but I did walk 7,000 steps to and from orientation today.

Last edited by Chunkahlunkah; 08-15-2018 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:01 AM   #132  
Shorty getting fit

THURS
B: Breakfast taco. Fruit salad.
L: Small piece of vegetable lasagna. 2 mini meatballs in sauce. Side salad.
D: Two glasses of wine. Bites of several appetizers.
Calories = Hard to estimate, but probably in the 1700's.
Exercise = Nothing formal, but besides a lot of walking I also had to make five trips hauling heavy deliveries from the mailroom to my apartment. This took half an hour and wore me out!
Old 08-18-2018, 09:19 AM   #133  
Shorty getting fit

FRI
B: Apple and cheddar cheese
S: Carrots and hummus
L: Chicken with salsa and multigrain tortilla chips
D: Fage 2% with strawberries and bran flakes
Calories = mid 1200's
Exercise = none

SAT
B: Bran flakes with milk, strawberries, and walnuts
S: Apple
L: Turkey sandwich with cheese and hummus
D: Fage 2%
S: Beer and chips
Calories = low 1600's
Exercise = none

Last edited by Chunkahlunkah; 08-19-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:54 PM   #134  
Shorty getting fit

So I noted my alarming trend of no intentional exercise and decided it was time to order a dvd player so that I could get back to my workouts. That should get here in a few days. Although the rec center is a fantastic resource, I need to be realistic. As I mentioned before, I don't see myself consistently walking there until the weather cools down. From what I hear, that'll be sometime in October. I'll probably be well sick of my dvd's by then, so it'll be good timing.

I'm doing my class readings today and am delighted to find that I love them.

SUN
B: Turkey, cheese, and hummus sandwich.
L: Apple with peanut butter.
S: Potato chips.
D: Fage 2% with strawberries and bran flakes.
Calories = low 1300's
Exercise = Don't know why I'm even including this line.

I hope you've been having a lovely vacation, Sundove!

Last edited by Chunkahlunkah; 08-19-2018 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:20 PM   #135  
Shorty getting fit

B: PB and nutella sandwich. Glass of milk.
L: Bagel
S: Pear (The most delicious thing I ate today while also being the lowest in cals!)
D: Chicken with salsa and tortilla chips.
Calories = high 1500's
Exercise = none

Some social eating today threw me off my game, but I'll be careful next time to keep it lower calorie.