Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 07-29-2018, 12:32 PM   #91  
Shorty getting fit

S/C/G: 162/132/119

Well done on your evening with friends w/o overeating or alcohol. That's been a problem issue for me. I have semi-regular hang outs with a group of friends most weekends. I'd been too careless that night and just ate whatever. That's always been fine in the past when I had no weight to lose (i.e., in itself, it never caused a gain), but it hurts my attempt at losing weight. I don't eat at a large enough deficit the other days to compensate for an evening of gluttony. Last night, all I ate during the evening was a Fudgesicle, so it went really well!

What a coincidence that we both worked in a coffee shop. I started part-time when I was caregiving for my mom. Not long after she died, they offered me the management position. At the time, I was trying to decide if I wanted to return to law school or go down a different path (academia) for my career. Either way, caregiving for my mom had put me in horrible debt, so I needed to pay that off before I could afford to be a student again. It was a very active job. I ate 1600-2000 calories most days, except on socializing nights, when I ate more like 2,000-2,500. Even so, I couldn't get above 110 lbs. Once I stopped working there to go to grad school, I gained back to 115 (my most common adult weight) and stayed there until this weight gain started a couple years later. Fav coffee...More so than a particular roast, for me it's the method--I absolutely love French press coffee. That's what I make 90% of the time at home. For coffee, I like a huge range. I even like Folgers a lot! I tend to go for dark roasts and have noticed I'm partial to beans from Indonesia.

Ha, it's amazing how some lines from entertainment will stick with us forever! I really think I'll watch that Seinfeld ep and a few more. I haven't watched that show in ages, and it's one of my favorites OF ALL TIME.

I hope the shoes help! That'd be great if those plus the mattress have you feeling much better! That's great that you were able to detach from the traffic stressor and savor the beauty of your surroundings.

Plumbing issue is all solved, yay!

SAT
B: 2 pieces of eggs on toast with butter. Decaf coffee with milk and protein powder.
B2: Cinnamon roll. (I'd made these for the plumber's benefit. I like to have something aromatic cooking when I have a service person over. )
L: Hamburger from grass fed beef on potato bun.
D: A whole lot of broccoli.
S: Fudgesicle, no sugar added.
Calories = mid 1300's
Exercise = none

Last edited by Chunkahlunkah; 07-29-2018 at 12:50 PM.
Chunkahlunkah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:40 PM   #92  

Hats off to you for taking care of your Mom and getting yourself back on track financially. That's not an easy thing to do. Bravo for sticking with that fudgesicle. I find it easy to stay away from food at a social thing if I set that as a clear goal. I agree 100% that the margin of error for weight loss is much narrower than that for maintenance.

Yum on the Cinnamon rolls!! Do you offer one to the plumber, or is it more about the aroma? Good that you have that behind you. I know you have a very busy month coming up.

Lol re that Hamptons episode. It's also one of my favorites. There is so much packed into it: Elaine and the pediatrician, George's "I was in the pool!!!!, the lobster bib, Kramer and the lobster trap. Last night someone mentioned a line from Seinfeld and we were off to the races remembering episodes & laughing our heads off.

Last edited by Sundove; 07-30-2018 at 01:14 AM.
Sundove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:49 PM   #93  

Sun
B coffee, lightener
B2 breakfast bar at the store. 2 poached eggs, a spoonful of eggs scrambled in evoo, tofu/turmeric/tomato scramble, and fresh salsa.
S sauteed Brussell's sprouts
L B-up protein bar, turkey chili blts.
D chicken on green salad
S protein hot choc.

Water 2 L
4778 steps Daily goal scaled back to 4-5000 steps /day--a more realistic starting point than the 6000+ steps I tried 2 wks ago..

Last edited by Sundove; 07-30-2018 at 01:16 AM.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:37 AM   #94  

Mon Plan for the day
B1 coffee, lightener
S B-up bar
L salad with chicken breast, evoo, coco aminos
D turkey chili
S Brussels sprouts
Two more snacks happened--another bar, and coffee with a shake--~300 extra calories. For my long shift day, not too bad.

water 2 L
Steps 5781 I noticed the distance in miles is lower today compared to that which a similar number of steps produced on the weekend. It isn't surprising since I was indoors at work today, in confined space vs the weekend where I was walking outside. Apparently the app can factor in stride length.

Last edited by Sundove; 07-30-2018 at 11:58 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:27 AM   #95  
Shorty getting fit

Thanks, Sundove, about the terminal illness/debt. It was a tough time. On the plus side, few things phase me anymore. Yes, I offered the plumber a cinnamon roll. He declined and then chatted about his eating patterns. It makes him feel sick afterwards if he eats before lunch time. His family gives him a hard time about it during get-togethers, when a big breakfast is always cooked, and he's sitting at the table with just his coffee. That B-Up protein bar has appealing protein and fiber stats! Do you buy that online? I wonder if my local GNC would have it.

I went out to eat last night, so ended up eating around maintenance (before exercise is factored in). I'm ok with that bc weekly or biweekly meals out are a lot of fun for me.

So far today, I've just had my decaf coffee with protein powder. Thanks again for that! I only use 1/3 a serving of the protein powder, but even just that adds 10 g of protein I wouldn't have had otherwise. I use some milk with it, so that adds another 4 g. Not too shabby! The menu I made for today has me finishing in the 90's. And I even get to have me some rice and beans.

I like that you adjusted your steps to what works best for you now.

SUNDAY
B: Bowl of bran flakes with milk, blueberries, and walnuts.
S: Potato chips. (Snuck a serving into a movie. )
D: Chicken souvlaki, Greek salad, pita.
Calories = mid 1500's (when using an 850 calorie estimate for my dinner)
Exercise = 1 hour walk in the park

Last edited by Chunkahlunkah; 07-30-2018 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:52 PM   #96  

Yum that Greek food sounds yummy Chunkahlunkah. I'm envious of the plumber. I'm almost always hungry. He actually turned down a fresh-baked cinnamon roll!!!

Re: B-up bars --- they used to be at GNC and some online sites, then they disappeared. Imo it's a great product. The consistency is like soft taffy--some people don't care for that. You can order them either singly or a box of 12 at
https://yupbrands.com/categories/shop-all.html

My favorite is cinnamon roll, at first because it has the least calories. (The bars don't look like the pictures on the wrappers, btw). If you have it with a glass of water, it's pretty filling.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:15 AM   #97  
Shorty getting fit

Honestly, the souvlaki was slightly disappointing. I could make it better. It's a pet peeve of mine when the dish I get at a restaurant ends up being quite a bit lower than my own cooking. I expect better!

at turning down a fresh baked cinnamon roll. I know, right! I guess being a plumber, your appetite is kinda in low gear for most of the shift anyway. I'd say a little less than half turn down the treats. It's been an interesting study. I think I'll track it more methodically and write an article about it.

Thanks for the heads up about the soft taffy texture. I might not like that. I'll buy just the one before getting a box. Thank you!

My meal plan didn't go quite to plan today bc my sister stopped by with some scrumptious treats just before dinner. It's National Cheesecake Day (I think it warrants a full month instead), so she brought over a small one plus some cookies. I'm pleased that I took a smaller slice of cheesecake than a full serving and only 1 cookie. In all, it was 400 calories but it truly was very good, so no regrets. It put me 100 calories higher than my original menu for today, so not too much damage on that front. Protein was in the 80s today, so not bad at all. I was too low on veg today though, as in it was totally absent. I'm sure I'll be craving that badly tomorrow. I can't really go more than a day or two w/o vegetables before I miss them terribly.

MON
B: Decaf coffee with protein powder.
B2: Brown rice and Caribbean black beans. Peach.
L:Tuna fish salad on potato bun.
D: Small slice of cheesecake and a cookie.
Calories = low 1400's
Exercise = Brazil Butt Lift. Some crunches and push-ups.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:24 AM   #98  

Chunkahlunkah, Well done on accounting & making room for those treats. Imo, that's the key to sustainability.
What's up with National Cheesecake Day? Is this a conspiracy to undermine dieting? Yikes. NY has The. Best. Cheesecake. Someone at work periodically has some express delivered--can't recall which bakery. I used to go to Juniors for cheesecake with my grandmother. Ok, gotta ask, do you like different flavors, or the classic best? It may not be a safe discussion for you, please feel free to ignore. I am not anywhere near cheesecake at the current timeso I feel safe in talking about it. Although, I have a fantastic recipe for Avocado Pie (which tastes way better than it sounds).

I can't wait to read your article. I'll go ahead and renew my subscription to The Journal of Irreproducible Results

I went to bed early to avoid grazing. I meant to read but fell asleep & woke up at 2am. I stayed in bed, tried to meditate and got good quality sleep until 530. Knowing I can just lay in bed and meditate if low carb-insomnia sets in could be a game changer for me. I tend to rationalize eating at night to avoid sleep disruption. Now I have a remedy--even if I don't fall back asleep, meditation is something I love to do when I can get myself to do it.

Tues plan for the day

B coffee/lightener
S B-up bar
L salad with chicken breast
D turkey chili
S Brussels sprouts, something else, maybe a shake or protein hot choc.

Last edited by Sundove; 07-31-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:01 PM   #99  
Shorty getting fit

Woohoo, that's terrific that meditation is a remedy!

LOL at that journal! I want a subscription. No, I want to be editor!

No problem discussing cheesecake. I'm ok with discussing all foods (at least, it's never bothered me in the past). And I'm no longer at risk of cheesecake seduction bc my brother finished off the rest. My sister owns a duplex. I'm in one part; she's in the other. I'm moving to TX next week for school, and my brother moved into my part recently to inhabit it while I'm away. He finished off what was left of the cheesecake before I even got to see its beauty again.

My fav cheesecake...Well, my absolute favorite is one that a friend of mine makes. It's pure heaven. It's a simple plain cheesecake (perfectly creamy with just the right mix of sour with some sweetness). She often tops it with strawberries, but it doesn't really need any topping. That's my fav in general--plain. But I enjoy all kinds. My fav places in NYC are Eileen's (near Little Italy) and Two Little Red Hens (the Upper East Side). So delicious! The one my sister brought over yesterday was plain with a cherry topping.

I'm enjoying my protein coffee right now. I think I'll finally buy some luggage today. I'm flying to my new residence rather than driving, so will be leaving most of my stuff here in NY. I'll just be bringing what I can fit in two large checked bags.

I hope you have a good day! Mmm, I could go for some brussels sprouts.

Last edited by Chunkahlunkah; 07-31-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:44 PM   #100  
Shorty getting fit

TUES
B: Decaf coffee with milk and protein powder. Two scrambled eggs with butter.
L: Fage 2% with blueberries and nuts.
D: Cheese and olives. Whole grain bread with almond butter. Grapes.
S: Broccoli with butter.
Calories = low 1300's
Exercise = Brazil Butt Lift

I'm beat and it's not even 9 yet! I better pick up more liver.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:33 AM   #101  

Hope you found some luggage you love for the next chapter in your life Chunkahlunkah. I suppose shopping for luggage isn't exciting as cheesecake The idea of landing in your new place for your new endeavor with just 2 suitcases worth of belongings sounds so liberating .

Re cheesecake, your favorite sounds kind of like my fave, that my mother used to make. Super simple, and creamy.

Heres hoping you find a way to enjoy the liver. I'm pretty sure you already know all there is to know about getting iron, but just in case....I learned this in a nutrition class, that orange juice with the iron-containing substance promotes its absorption. That was taught in the days before the concern with fruit juice spiking blood sugar. I wonder if it's just having something acidic, or is it the Vit C that helps with iron absorption?

The other thing was fast-cooking cream-of-wheat cereal. Somehow that preparation made the iron more available. Maybe the micro-wave version as well. I don't remember much from my graduate education by now, but I do remember those things. So they must be true

Wed
A lot of drama going on with family. I thought I was on top of things emotionally, but then I ate a lot in the evening--my dieting focus was off. I read in another thread about learning to tolerate some hunger. I'm a little afraid of hunger because it can become insatiable if I restrict too much. For me, some hunger seems to accompany fat burning. And, restating this to myself for the umpteenth time, I would like to eliminate evening grazing.

Last edited by Sundove; 08-01-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:47 PM   #102  
Shorty getting fit

Finding that workable balance is tough, where there's some hunger but not so much to trigger a break from dieting. I'm sorry about the family drama. That's such a frustrating and painful stress in life. Fwiw, whatever's going on, I'm sure your heart is in the right place and that your judgment is right on, so if someone else is being a pain, they're wrong. Seriously, I hope things get easier.

Yes, it's the Vitamin C that helps. I really should make it a priority to have some at every meal. Caffeine and calcium can inhibit iron absorption. I think my body itself inhibits iron absorption. Thanks for the food tips. I'll definitely get some Cream of Wheat after I move. I recall really liking that when I was a kid. Why did I ever give up my childhood favorites, Cream of Wheat and liverwurst?

I cut down my packing plans to just one checked bag, so even more liberating!

Did your mom teach you her cheesecake recipe? My friend refuses to tell anyone her recipe. She says she's not revealing it until in her will.

My menu's probably going to be weird odds and ends going forward as I aim to use up all my food and not buy more. I might give in though and buy some liverwurst.

WED
B: Eggs on buttered whole grain toast x2. Peach. Decaf coffee with protein powder.
L: Big serving of Fage 2% with strawberry jam and bran flakes.
D: Cheese and olives. Watermelon. Half of a cookie.
Calories = high 1300's
Exercise = Walk Away the Pounds

Last edited by Chunkahlunkah; 08-01-2018 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:51 AM   #103  

Thank-you for your kind words re family Chunkahlunkah. They were just what I needed to hear. And spot on re the hunger balance.

Wow your day is drawing near. Go west, young woman, go west! Btw good on your bro for helping out with the cheese cake Your living situation sounds nice right now. And your new one, too. Will you be new buying cooking things?

Wed
Another day with just too much food. I felt hungry though, and never felt stuffed. I noticed my eyes were smarting too, a little red. That's how my body reacts to low carb, unfortunately. I'll be in the hot desert for 10 days this month, so I will need to eat more carbs to make sure my eyeballs stay lubricated.

I googled dry eye and low carb. A low carb side effect for some people is that the lack of glucose leads to a deficiency in mucin, a glycoprotein that lines the areas in our bodies that interface with the outside environment. It can lead to dry eye like I have, and also dry bowel (constipation). There is some question about a link to cancer stemming from inadequate mucin.

I'll see if I can find the lowest amount of carbs to maintain a healthy sleep pattern & eyeballs. I may not be able to be in ketogenic range, but it will still be low carb without sugar or flour, and minimal starchy things. That what feels best. I may need to include a little more fat to see if that takes helps with hunger. In other words, a balanced diet
Old 08-02-2018, 01:14 PM   #104  
Shorty getting fit

Sundove, oh no, sorry about your eyes! I'm glad you've researched it and will be adjusting your diet to heal that situation. I wish you good luck in finding the right carb and fat range for your health and diet needs. I've mentioned it in the past, but you may find that if you continue eating low/no carb at breakfast, your appetite may not be increased as much by adding more carbs only at your later meals. Whatever you do, I hope the experimental phase is fun! We can publish it in that journal. I'm the editor, so it's a shoe in. I've got your back!

Yes, I'll be buying all new kitchen things. Sometimes I contemplate mailing or packing some favorite items, but it makes more sense just to buy it all new. Here at home, I have a slow cooker that I use fairly often. I'm contemplating whether to get another when I'm in TX or go with an Instant Pot instead. Some friends of mine have and love the latter, and one made me a few delicious bean dishes in it. I really love beans, and thank god, since they're so cheap. I'm hesitating only bc I've never had a pressure cooker before, and I'm relatively accident prone and careless regarding the physical world , so I wouldn't put it past myself to blow up my apartment. Decisions, decisions.

I'm exactly 25 pounds down today, to the ounce! Wait, no, not to the ounce but to the tenth of a pound.

THURS
B: Brown rice with Caribbean black beans and roasted red peppers.
B2: Decaf coffee with milk and protein powder. Watermelon.
L: Salmon with broccoli.
D: Milk and cookies.
Calories = high 1400's
Exercise = Brazil Butt Lift

Last edited by Chunkahlunkah; 08-02-2018 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:31 PM   #105  

Chunkahlunkah on the wt milestone, metrically and Englishly! Extra props for doing with style & and a spirit of discovery! Will you switch things up now? I was going to say I look forward to following your next step menus, but realize your life may get super busy.

Re my plan, again you are spot on. I know to avoid carbs in the morning. I plan to have my main carb dose at lunch, maybe a yam serving. Not sure about dinner, maybe small carb svg, a bit of rice. Neither yams nor rice will tempt me to over indulge. I’ll also sleep better, think better, & weather the family stuff with more equanimity. I’m feeling excited about it.

Last edited by Sundove; 08-02-2018 at 05:32 PM.