Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 07-01-2018, 12:11 AM   #16  
Shorty getting fit

S/C/G: 162/132/119

Thanks, Sundove. Mmm, homemade chili. That can be such a handy way to incorporate the week's uneaten veg. I don't think I've made chili in well over a year. Must rectify that. How'd you like it? I prefer turkey chili over beef, was surprised when I discovered that.

Today:

Protein - 114 g

Vit A - 704%

Vit C - 104%

This was my lowest Vit C day since I started tracking this in mid June. It should be better tomorrow.
Chunkahlunkah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:11 AM   #17  

Sun Yay it's July 1! Today kicks off my 52 week march to fitness.

Chunkahlunkah, I'm interested to know how you decided to track these particular macros. It's of course totally ok if you don't feel like posting that. And, of course it's not obligatory to write anything--some days tracking is all there is time & energy to do.

Re chili, It's a little different every time. This week--so-so. Last week I had a lot of riced broccoli and spiralized butternut squash to use up. Who knew it would taste so wonderful? This week was more traditional--ground turkey, kidney beans, salsa, onions, bell pepper & then the leftovers of diced zucchini and carrots. Next time I have some Hannah sweet potatoes to use up--I think a little bit of sweet veggies are good in chili.

I got hungry last night and ate a package of deli turkey, along with some cabbage steaks. It was too much food again, though low carb. I might try to do a more structured diet for a few days until I get the hang of not having what amounts to a second dinner late in the evening. I'm happy that low carb overeating doesn't leave me in a fog.

B 2 eggs, salsa, 2 cups coffee with half/half & protein shake
L cole slaw with chicken, 1000 isl dsg, salsa. I love cabbage.
D chicken breast, MCT oil, cabbage steak
S coffee with vanilla protein shake as lightener, HB egg with red onion & mustard, carrot

water 1 L
movement Classical stretch

Last edited by Sundove; 07-01-2018 at 10:41 PM.
Sundove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:10 PM   #18  
Shorty getting fit

Is your retirement July 1st next year? Good luck with the march to fitness!

No problem at all about the macros. In mid June I got this skin procedure done to fix some acne scars I had on the sides of my face. The recovery process, in its entirety, takes up to 6 months because that's how long the skin will keep producing more collagen in the areas that were lasered. So to get the best results, I'll be keeping the most pertinent nutrients and micronutrients high--protein and those vitamins. Some other things matter too, like Vitamin E and omega 3 fats, and I'm aiming to keep those high too. But I considered the others more important and didn't want to track that many here. I enjoy eating this wa anyway though; it's how I was raised and how I'm inclined to eating. I find focusing on those numbers a fun way to challenge myself to keep my diet nutrient packed.

I've never consistently eaten close to this amount of protein though, so that's taking deliberate effort. My norm was usually in the 70's. I'm surprised by what a difference it's already made in my hair, nails, and skin!

I'v eaten chili at restaurants that was made with some sweet veg. I agree--so good like that!
Old 07-02-2018, 04:06 AM   #19  
Shorty getting fit

My sleep schedule is a mess! I fell asleep hours earlier than my normal time last night, and now I'm up way too early. Ugh. I hope I can fall back asleep. I fell asleep before I hit my protein goal yesterday. At least I was high the prior day, so the 2 day average is right around where I want to be. I'll make an effort to get my protein in early today in case I go narcoleptic again.

Sunday:
Protein - 70 g
Vit A - 426%
Vit C - 158%

I made my soup again yesterday. I also have some red cabbage that I've been meaning to cook up. Maybe I'll do that now. I prepare it German style--love the vinegary and mustardy tang--but I don't cook it as long as that style traditionally recommends. I like for it to still be a little al dente. There's a heat wave where I live, yet here I am eating such wintery foods. I love them both though, could and do eat them whenever. The soup is such a handy way to get in lots of vitamins too, and the cooked veggies don't trigger my IBS like lots of raw veg can.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:37 AM   #20  

Chunkahlunkah, Hope you managed to get back to sleep. It's really wonderful to love those healthy foods so much that you want to eat them even during the heat wave. They both sound so good! I used to make vegetable soup a lot, and then when I made it years later, I had lost the touch. What do you use for stock? I love the fact that no micronutrients are lost in soup. When I steam broccoli, I always drink the greenish water in the pan, lol. Are you using a fitness tracker to get your nutrient values? I like the idea of tracking to ensure enough nutrition instead of to restrict.

Yes I am retiring next July 1. It's hard to believe, since in my head I am still ~17-24 yrs old

B coffee, protein shake & half/half; HB egg.
L green salad with chicken breast, vegs, evoo & coco aminos.
D cole slaw with turkey chili on top. This is meant to be southwestern style, but no cheese avocado or tortilla chips, lol. No more store-bought 1000 isl dressing. dressing tbd.
S HB egg on hollowed out cucumber, protein bar, coffee & lightener

W 2L
Exercise 4975 steps, misc stretching--hips & back are tight

Last edited by Sundove; 07-02-2018 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:28 PM   #21  
Shorty getting fit

I fortunately did fall back asleep. Thank goodness, or my whole day would've been shot living as a zombie. Yes, a major reason I love soup is that it keeps the micronutrients in the broth!! I feel like you can read my mind. Drinking the broccoli water, that's hardcore and I tip my hat to you! For the broth, I use store bought. I've made my own only a few times (years ago) and didn't find it tastier than the ones I buy. So I decided the convenience of store bought was the better choice for me. I always buy organic bone broth. For some things, organic isn't a priority for me, but that's one of the items where it is. The brands I buy most often are Pacific, Imagine, and my store brand (Wegmans). I've been using My Fitness Pal to track my nutrients, with Cronometer and good ol' google supplementing info. It makes sense to me that you feel 17-24 in your head. You've always given me the vibe of a really smart, open-minded college student. It's a great space from which to meet the world!
Old 07-02-2018, 11:19 PM   #22  
Shorty getting fit

Monday:
Protein - 100 g
Vit A - 512%
Vit C - 275%
Old 07-03-2018, 08:22 AM   #23  

Chunkahlunkah, Good that you got that sleep. Haha I think we are definitely on a similar wavelength: I also use Imagine or Pacific, no Wegman's or store brand where I am. Homemade bone broth is good, but it takes time. The store bought ones taste good, imo. I like chicken stock best, but go for the extra nutrients in bone broth.
Now that you mentioned it, you are spot on re the college student vibe I cherish & miss the space to explore & discuss & hang out with other curious people. I look forward to adding that back into my life I hope you are able to enjoy that in your program amidst the academic pressures.

B protein shake, coffee

L green salad & vegs, chicken breast, evoo, coco aminos

D cucumber, egg salad--2 HB eggs, Dijon mustard, maybe evoo

S protein hot choc, protein bar--bought these at Costco & they are so-so, which is perfect for me.

Water was a little over 1L. My thermos went missing, second in a month.

Movement stretched, bridge pose--my thighs are sore so something is happening. Goal is first to loosen up my joints from all the driving I've been doing. Then add in strengthening & cardio. Steps 4486

Today I would like to see if I can sleep well without the late eating. I can sleep in tomorrow if need be. I'd to see some weight loss momentum.

Last edited by Sundove; 07-04-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:49 PM   #24  
Shorty getting fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundove View Post
) I cherish & miss the space to explore & discuss & hang out with other curious people. I look forward to adding that back into my life I hope you are able to enjoy that in your program amidst the academic pressures.
Did you go to grad school? I get the sense you know its pressures firsthand or perhaps you're just exceptionally good at imagining another's experience. Many people I know who haven't gone think it's just an extension of undergrad. Ah, if only.

Do you think you might audit some courses after you retire or does that not quite appeal?

I hope you get that well-deserved weight loss momentum!

I came here to thank you for this thread. I was making my menu for the day and was not in the mood for 90 g+ protein. Knowing I'd be reporting here helped me stick with that goal.

To get my protein that high, on most days I've needed to include a protein shake. Sometimes I've gotten there just with food, but I usually prefer the shake instead of another serving of meat, fish, etc. I discovered yesterday that I like pairing my chocolate protein shake with cherries on the side. Tastes really good. I think I'm definitely in the weight loss zone because I was perceiving it as a delicious dessert.

Last edited by Chunkahlunkah; 07-03-2018 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:11 PM   #25  
Shorty getting fit

Tuesday:
Protein - 90 g
Vit A - 980%
Vit C - 396%

Last edited by Chunkahlunkah; 07-03-2018 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:31 AM   #26  

Chunkahlunkah You're welcome for the thread & thanks back at you for joining. I'm so glad it was helpful yesterday, and WTG on sticking to your protein goal.
fyi I used to track on MFP and noticed a difference if I entered cooked vs raw chicken, e.g., I would enter "chicken breast 8oz" after weighing out a cooked chicken breast, while MFP's numbers referred to raw weight. The preparation isn't always well-specified for a given food. I mention that in case your numbers are higher than you realize. I have the opposite problem of needing to avoid too much protein, so it is hard for me to imagine having difficulty getting up to 100g.

Re grad school, back in the day, I had friends going through it & I remember the intense pressure they experienced right up to the end-orals, thesis defense, demanding professors. After high school, I was a Russian lit major until I discovered I had no aptitude for lit., rather was pretty good at learning languages. I found even the undergrad liberal arts curriculum challenging, so I am in awe of you. I have a graduate degree in nursing, then late in life earned a BS in biology, which is my passion. I hope you have good mentors. I can't think of a more rewarding investment of personal & material resources than education.

Re retirement, right now it's an open book. I'm not sure a degree program is in the cards, but I do like the focus it demands. I'm interested in Native American languages and evolutionary biology--how different shapes of animals evolved. Just having time to read on my own, get lost in a topic of interest would be pretty wonderful.

Did you cook up the purple cabbage? I love the idea of a diet-friendly cherry jubilee experience--gotta try that! What brand of shakes do you like?

Last edited by Sundove; 07-04-2018 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:47 AM   #27  

Wed

I stuck to my goal of not eating a big late night snack. I had a couple of carrot sticks instead. I woke up at 230 but it wasn't difficult to get back to sleep. The scale rewarded me with a 1lb drop. Knowing I would be accountable here really helped. Right before bedtime, my mind started wandering to possibilities in the refrig. At the same moment, as I was reading Chunkahlunkah's comment, my eyes landed on my own posted goal for the day: avoiding a big night time snack. Then it was easy, well, easier.

B coffee, half/half, 1 HB egg
S protein bar--these are beginning to tempt me a bit. Fortunately they are residing in the trunk of my car--a good safety barrier.
L great big salad of shredded cabbage, chicken, Herdez guacamole salsa--no avo taste at all
D chili, no beans just ground turkey, onion, green pepper, salsa, Hannah sweet potato
S coffee, protein shake

Water-1 Liter
Movement not much

Lunch was a lot of food, dinner was filling. I am still full at 945 yet my mind wants a snack. Re-committing to my goal.

Last edited by Sundove; 07-05-2018 at 12:48 AM.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:03 AM   #28  

The "good but not too good" that you're aiming at for food is just fine. I've just seen an article that has a 100 healthy snacks that might be helpful for you in order not to repeat foods and get bored, especially that it's summer!
https://draxe.com/healthy-snacks/
Danny21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:05 AM   #29  
Shorty getting fit

Sundove - Thank you for the MFP reminder! I used to be careful about always weighing meat raw and using that entry. (I trust its precision more than searching for a cooked one, and often I haven't been able to find one labeled as cooked.) I took a tracking break though, and when I returned to it, I'd completely neglected weighing meat raw. So you're right--I had more protein than I'd thought! And calories lol. Over the past month, I've been eating a lot of fish. That I have been weighing raw, but I've also been eating a lot of chicken, and I've only been weighing that after it's been cooked. I also ate a lamb chop the other day and weighed it as cooked. Thank you so much! I went back to yesterday's diary entry and added 20% (as a rough estimate) to my chicken serving. Going forward, I'll try to measure raw as much as possible.

I think I struggle to get my protein high because I'm not a consistent meat eater. I was a pescatarian for about 6 years. During that time, I'd sometimes eat "sea meat" up to 3 or 4 times a week but, more often, I'd eat vegetarian for weeks at a time. Although I've been eating meat again for years now, that eating style lingers. It's been my norm to have meat only once a day (often not at all), and my other protein comes from dairy, beans, and nuts. They're decent sources, but only Greek yogurt really rivals the protein bang you get from meat for the calorie buck. I don't think I'll be able to sustain 90+ grams long-term. I'll stick with it for all of July. After that, I'll probably need a daily protein shake to even break 80 grams consistently, and I'm not sure yet how I feel about consuming so many shakes. For my shakes, I really like Blueblonnet. Quality ingredients and it dissolves very well, even in just a shaker cup. Their chocolate has sucralose. For my next order, I've chosen plain and will add my own chocolate. I don't like that sucralose taste.

I'm swooning over your mind! I love that you value education so highly! What incredible studies you've already engaged in and your current/future interests are fascinating. It's so cool seeing interests and talents manifest in different ways over the years, with your bio and language backgrounds finding expression in evolutionary bio and Native American languages. If you ever feel in the mood to muse on those subjects here, please do. I know nothing about any of that and would eat it right up!

My strong instinct is to shrink in my seat and brush away your awe comment, but I've been working on taking a compliment with grace (for about a decade now, slow learner ), so I will instead say, thank you!

The red cabbage didn't work out unfortunately. It got oddly mushy as it cooked, so I tossed it. I don't know if that's because it's out of season, so a weaker cabbage to begin with, or if I waited too long (had it for a couple of weeks). I'll probably wait until the fall to get it again unless I see one that looks especially lush.

Congrats on the 1 pound drop!! And BIG congrats on resisting the night time eating urge!

This ended up much longer than I intended. Please don't ever feel pressure to respond with a conversational post. Time is often short, and I completely understand that!

Oh, that reminds me, what I've found most different between college and the graduate programs I've done (before this was law, that's a whole other story! ) is the time demand. In college, my classes were reading and writing heavy (English and philosophy dbl major), and typically required 3-5 hours of homework per class per week, with significantly more when a paper was due. Not bad at all. I'm guessing science had a higher time demand with all those labs! Grad school, ime, is typically 10 hours of hw per class per week. So with papers and projects (plus class time, teaching, meetings, etc), it easily adds up to 50-75 hour weeks. It could be less if I skimmed and slacked more with my coursework, and I'm aiming to do that for my final 2 years of coursework. I think I could make things easier on myself than I have been.

Last edited by Chunkahlunkah; 07-05-2018 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:07 AM   #30  

Thursday
B shake/half/half, protein bar
L salad with chicken breast, vegs, evoo, coco aminos
S HB egg
D cabbage steaks, protein bar
S carrots, cucumbers
S more cabbage steak, coffee with half/half & protein shake, HB egg

I logged into MFP for a reality check~ 1450. I was irritable at work today & while there are actual issues there that contributed, I think it's also carb withdrawal. Tomorrow won't be better but now that i'm aware, I will wear a "Keep 10 Away" sign.

Activity 3500 steps, some stretching and ab/back work.
Water 1 L+

Last edited by Sundove; 07-05-2018 at 10:25 PM.