Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:17 PM   #1  

Red face Food Allergy Elimination Fatigue? (Not wheat belly, but close).

Hi there, I just turned 25 last month. I've been an athlete my whole life (not a super athlete, but definitely active). In between activities, I've always struggled to keep weight off. Now I've zeroed in on a food allergy, which I've been told keeps me from eliminating food properly. Here is the long story short:

For about a year, I gained weight at a rapid pace...resulting in a total of 80 pounds in 1 year (well, actually less time than a year). Had a traumatic incident in January 2013. Attributed some weight gain to grief. But by April 2013 I was at 200 from 160...something had to change. And today, I am 224. (Highest was 234).

I cleaned up my diet which wasn't bad before, doubled exercise (not all in one day) but nothing worked. I went to two doctors, took a bunch of blood tests, and both wanted to put me on birth control and see what happened. (I didn't...hormones always came back fine...never seemed like a good idea). Actually, one accused me of binge eating. They were virtually no help.

Fast forward December 2013...went to a Chiropractor (all my pain was gone! I thought I hurt from the weight gain...turns out, hip was way out of place...haven't had pain since). She convinced me to do food allergy tests.

I have always thought you had to have hives and crazy stomach pain to be allergic to food (or intolerant...not sure of the correct terminology). But I was off the charts allergic to dairy, wheat, and some other things I was eating to be "healthier". (Eggs, bananas, peanuts, garlic).

Two and a half weeks into allergy elimination (started January 26) and I've lost 10 pounds. The first week I had headaches, diarrhea and other "withdrawal" symptoms.

My question is...have any of you taken out toxic foods? What was your experience? I can't find information on how long fatigue should last. I know everyone is different, but I'm feeling a little crazy being this tired. (Going to bed at 7/8...feelings like my limbs are heavy, really struggling at the gym). I've stopped heavy work outs, but I feel like I should keep walking, at the very least.

I feel so much better in other ways. My thinking is clearer, my moods stable, no food cravings. I haven't felt hungry, I'm eating lots of veggies, plus meat, fruit, rice...all in a 1500 calorie a day set. I just feel so tired!
OneQuarterCentury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:52 PM   #2  

It's possible that 1,500kcal is just a tiny bit low, especially when your body is working hard to 'repair' some of the damage caused from your long-term allergic reactions. Maybe your fatigue is actually from the caloric restriction?

I've also noticed a pretty impressive improvement in energy, digestion, and overall focus when I added naturally fermented foods to my diet. Yogurt is out, obviously; but homemade sauerkraut is super cheap/easy to make, and kombucha is another easy one to add, if you're interested. Sprouted foods (ie. lentils, beans, some seeds, etc.) are also a fun way to 'change' your food so it's less inflammatory. It may be something to look at, anyway.

For myself, I also notice a big difference in how I feel when I eat farmed protein (ie. supermarket eggs, milk, meat, fish) vs finding a different supplier (organic dairy, grass fed meat, wild fish, local/no drug eggs). The first category can make me sick as a dog - but not the second. Same for wheat/bread - the store bought stuff gives me wicked heartburn/diarrhea, but whole flour (ie. fresh ground, not 'whole wheat') in a proper sourdough bread (fermentation is an incredible tool ) is awesome - it also tastes better, and is more satisfying to boot!

Last edited by Defining; 02-16-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Defining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:59 PM   #3  

You're story sounds similar to mine from athletic, weight gain, illness/injury, doctors being of NO help and on to the allergy research. Have you ever searched Paleo Diet? You might be able to find some information on what your asking if you use that as a search, because it sounds like that's the diet your following. (I hesitate to call it a diet, because I don't see it as a diet. But that's a different thread!)

Good luck!

C7
Charmed7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:32 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 180/170.5/130

Height: 5'3"

Do research on functional medicine. I found tons of information on food allergies and food ideas.
valjcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:33 PM   #5  

Similar story, my fatigue lasted about 6 weeks but got better after 2 weeks and better after a month and back to normal after 6 weeks.

Make sure you eat enough fat if you are cutting carbs. Check out lchf diets.

Just sleep when you need to and let your body heal itself. It may take longer for you. Also do moderate exercise during the fatigue phase. You will know when you can go back to full blown training.

Keep with it and read a lot about LCHF and paleo (slightly different but see which resonates with you) I don't follow either fully but do make sure I have enough fat, and eat fruit with a fat like cream.

You will feel better it will just take time
Valmorel is offline   Reply With Quote