Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 06-23-2018, 12:04 PM   #1  

Default Summer 2018 Daily Check In

I'm back at it. Welcome to anyone else who would like to track their daily endeavors--food, cals, movement, water, NSVs, weight, etc. I enjoy minimally processed, local, non-GMO, pesticide-free food as much as possible. I have an addictive relationship to food, especially sweets. I aim for 'good but not too good' in my way of eating.

Last edited by Sundove; 09-22-2018 at 09:42 AM.
Sundove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:07 PM   #2  

Saturday
B Breakfast wrap 1 egg, a pinch of shredded cheese, salsa in a ww low carb tortilla
coffee with half & half, splash of protein shake

L Salad: shredded cabbage, carrot, scallions, ground turkey,
pinch of grated cheese, salsa, 1000 dressing

D Salad with chicken breast, red leaf lettuce, arugula, grated carrots, diced beets, sweet red onion, evoo, coco aminos, Bragg's nutritional yeast

S coffee with protein shake as lightener, 6 prunes--these are the best things for a sweet tooth except that I tend to eat them up. Toasted whole wheat tortilla with cheese slice.

Water 2 liters
Movement- Bridge pose to stretch out my hips from driving; 2050 steps

It's amazing to me how much highly appealing food crosses my line of sight throughout the day, going to the cafeteria at work, shopping, etc. There are so many choices for each product type. It sets me up to expect that every meal must be special. The more I succumb to this way of thinking, the more difficult it is to eat reasonable portions and avoid between-meal snacking. I need boring food--tasty but not over-the-top or I will just want to keep on eating. When I eat out or get something ready-made, it also sets me up to want more, and makes my home made food seem bland.

Last edited by Sundove; 06-24-2018 at 12:22 AM.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:23 PM   #3  

Yesterday night I got hungry & ate some deli turkey, cheese slice, low carb tortilla.

Sun:
B low carb tortilla, cheese, salsa, eg, coffee with half & half
L cole slaw woth ground turkey, salsa, shredded cheese, 1000 island dsg
S deli turkey/Swiss cheese/lettuce roll ups, coffee, protein shake lightener, protein hot choc
D salad with carrots, beets, red onion, chicken, evoo & coco aminos

Water 2L
Movement 3012 steps, Classical Stretch DVD
I am having some difficulty tolerating hunger.

Last edited by Sundove; 06-25-2018 at 12:01 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Sundove, it looks like you're eating well, very nutritious food, but if you are having problems maybe you are not eating enough. Are you tracking calories?
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:42 PM   #5  
Shorty getting fit

S/C/G: 162/132/119

Hi Sundove, I'm happy to see you again! Good vibes to you, always.

I hear ya on how keeping the food somewhat boring helps. I have a few boring staples that really help me, things like Greek yogurt and homemade soup. I could eat both of those almost every day!

I enjoy prunes too and also find them hard to limit.

Regarding hunger...Everyone's different, so this may not help you one iota, but I've found a remarkable difference in my hunger levels depending on what I eat for breakfast. If I keep it high protein and moderate/high'ish fat and negligible carbs, I have a significantly smaller appetite for the whole day. For example, eating something like 300 calories worth of scrambled eggs (with some butter) or 300 calories of meat will do the trick. The key for me is that I also omit any carbs during that meal; well, other than the small amount that's in the milk in my morning coffee (if I have some). Have you ever experimented with that? The rest of the day, carbs don't impact my huger levels as much. But man, what a difference if I avoid them at breakfast! I don't always eat that way, haven't in a while, but it's my go-to when I'm looking to cut my appetite. Greek yogurt can work too even with its carbs, but it doesn't work quite as well for me as no carb.
Chunkahlunkah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:25 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
Sundove, it looks like you're eating well, very nutritious food, but if you are having problems maybe you are not eating enough. Are you tracking calories?
Carol Thanks for that perspective. I get super hungry right before a weight drop, though. It's as if the fat releases a chemical as it is burned for fuel. If I can refrain from over feeding that bottomless-pit feeling of hunger, i get a good whoosh.
This weekend, I think it was partly from being at home and there was food in the fridge that I liked, lol.

Btw it looks like you are doing really well with limiting carbs. It's not easy to do, is it/ Our bodies notice those missing carbs! I too have less aches & pains when I am low carb. Especially if I just eliminate sugar.

Last edited by Sundove; 06-27-2018 at 08:49 AM.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:46 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkahlunkah View Post
Hi Sundove, I'm happy to see you again! Good vibes to you, always.

I hear ya on how keeping the food somewhat boring helps. I have a few boring staples that really help me, things like Greek yogurt and homemade soup. I could eat both of those almost every day!

I enjoy prunes too and also find them hard to limit.

Regarding hunger...Everyone's different, so this may not help you one iota, but I've found a remarkable difference in my hunger levels depending on what I eat for breakfast. If I keep it high protein and moderate/high'ish fat and negligible carbs, I have a significantly smaller appetite for the whole day. For example, eating something like 300 calories worth of scrambled eggs (with some butter) or 300 calories of meat will do the trick. The key for me is that I also omit any carbs during that meal; well, other than the small amount that's in the milk in my morning coffee (if I have some). Have you ever experimented with that? The rest of the day, carbs don't impact my huger levels as much. But man, what a difference if I avoid them at breakfast! I don't always eat that way, haven't in a while, but it's my go-to when I'm looking to cut my appetite. Greek yogurt can work too even with its carbs, but it doesn't work quite as well for me as no carb.

Chunkalunkah Hey good to see you here! Do you have a breather from grad school? Hope so

Y'know I experience that same thing with carbs in the am. Thanks for reminding me. I always think I can change that, but it hasn't happened yet.

Fwiw,I once googled "why am I hungry all day, when I eat carbs at breakfast." I found an article that said our body releases cortisol right before we awaken, in anticipation of being active. Cortisol cause a release of glucose (to fuel the day's activities) with a resulting rise in blood sugar. Adding carbs in the am amplifies the blood sugar rise and then the resulting amplified insulin release happens. The article said that is what leads to the relentless hunger the rest of the day. It's not just that insulin is lowering blood sugar, rather it may also act on the brain as an appetite stimulant.

I recently went on a week long field workshop with long daily hikes (not strenuous). I ate a good breakfast that included a tortilla (carb!), and then low carb for lunch and dinner, with one snack and a few prunes. I was pleasantly hungry for meals but that was it. So I think if I am occupied, not idle or bored, I don't notice hunger so much. When I tried the same food plan back in my routine, voila, hunger was back.

Back to what works for me--no morning tortilla. Good bye to prunes for now.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:31 PM   #8  

Mon & Tues
B low carb tortilla, egg, cheese, salsa, coffee, half & half
L cole slaw, ground turkey, salsa, 1000 island dsg
D deli turkey roll ups with cheese, lettuce, mustard
S hot choc, carrots,
S evening too much cheese, sliced turkey, tortilla

I’ve put away the cheese & tortillas for now. They are hard to stay out of. I’m happy to report that I’ve stuck to my red line of no sugar or processed carbs like flour.

water 2 liters
movement ~5000 steps each day.

Last edited by Sundove; 06-27-2018 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:32 PM   #9  

Wed

B protein shake, half/half in coffee

L turkey roll ups

S Costco samples: stuffed olive, protein bar piece

D famished, so overate...3 protein bars, later on chicken, then cole slaw with ground turkey, cheese, 1000 island dsg.

water 2 L

movement 6700 steps and it's still light out.

Whoops. Still figuring this out. I am doing well with avoiding the random junk food that i've been eating lately. But I'm still eating too much to lose weight, and eating for reasons other than hunger. I am looking forward to figuring this out. I am retiring in 52 weeks and aim to reach that date lean and strong.

Last edited by Sundove; 06-27-2018 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:00 AM   #10  
Shorty getting fit

I did have a breather, thanks for asking. I'm nearing the end of a year off between my master's program and PhD program. I'm actually missing it a lot now and am looking forward to getting back to work on projects I care about.

Interesting article about the amplified insulin release. I'd vote that the idea that it's an appetite stimulant on the brain is correct! I think I'm also especially sensitive to the appetite-suppressing hormones that get released after eating protein and/or fat.

Good job getting in steps! I find that extra movement really helps me with losing. I hope you find the same. Congratulations on your retirement next year! How exciting!
Old 06-28-2018, 10:21 AM   #11  

Chunkalunkah, Congratulations on your Master's! Glad to hear you had the break and are looking forward to the PhD--missing it is a good sign!

I think I'll read up on insulin's effect on the brain. I think it was in David Kesler's The End of Overeating, or Lustig's work about the brain chemistry of addiction. Maybe there are new findings. I just ordered an old favorite that someone once gave me, Addiction & Grace.

Thurs
B coffee & protein shakes, half/half, microwaved egg, La Victoria Thick & Chunky salsa.
S handful of nuts
L salad with chicken breast, evoo, coco aminos
S protein bar
D restaurant. Chicken chipotle salad a few bites of dessert.
Water 1 L
Movement 2394 steps

I am inching toward a more focused diet. Today I ate a little more than I needed. Tomorrow will be a good day to tighten up my self control

Last edited by Sundove; 06-29-2018 at 02:31 AM.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:03 PM   #12  

Fri
B coffee, protein shake
L protein bars, 1 string cheese
D fried chicken and veggie roll in a thin tapioca wrap with thin avocado slices, sample cookie

Today's experiment began with getting up late after a going away party/late dinner. The idea was to eat minimally at work and have a full dinner. After work, I went to the store instead of home & fell into the on sale fried chicken. Not my best plan to grocery shop while hungry! I think the basic idea of eating minimally during the day and having a bigger meal in the evening might work well for me. I see a lot of success with intermittent fasting, and it is convenient for me as well.

Water 1 L so far
Movement 4141 steps The elevator is undergoing maintenance so I am getting some stairs in. Sometimes help comes in strange ways
Old 06-30-2018, 12:43 AM   #13  
Shorty getting fit

Hi Sundove, if the invitation still stands , I'd like to track here for a bit. I'm aiming to keep my protein above 90 grams and to exceed my RDA for both Vitamins A and C.

Yesterday:
Protein - 106 g
Vit A - 925%
Vit C - 375%

Today:
Protein - 87 g
Vit A - 766%
Vit C - 353%

The high vitamins were due to homemade soup. I'm all out now, but I want to make some more soon. It was so good!
Old 06-30-2018, 01:39 PM   #14  

Chunkalunkah By all means, please do come on in & track here!

Homemade soup sounds wonderful. You inspired me to throw my week's uneaten vegs into a batch of chili. Thank-you! Back later, I am frittering away the day!
Old 06-30-2018, 04:25 PM   #15  

Sat
B protein shake, half/half ,coffee omelet 2 eggs, La Victoria thick & chunky salsa
L salad with vegs, chicken breast, evoo, coco aminos
S protein bar, cabbage steak
D turkey chili over cole salw/1000 isl dressing. No cheese--it's off the menu for now.
S protein hot choc, coffee with usual lightener

Water have been resistant to drinking water for some reason.
Movement Classical stretch for back

Last edited by Sundove; 06-30-2018 at 10:12 PM.