bean burgers without grain?

• I'm going to experiment with bean burgers with either flax or chia meal, and maybe a little chickpea flour instead of bread crumbs or grains. Anyone tried it and have tips to hazards to share?
  • It would help to know why you want to do this. Are you on a gluten-free diet, for instance?
  • Cyndi - I actually did this on accident recently and it worked out well. You do need something to hold a burger together and chickpea flour is a good option. Almond flour and coconut flour might work as well.
  • I've made them with ground oatmeal (in like a food processor or coffee grinder, you can get a flour texture).
  • I did try the ground chia/garbanzo flour combo. It was pretty good but needs a little fine tuning. We are very careful about grains around here and I'd rather not mix them with beans just because the carb count is higher than we want. I served the burgers on flax muffins with chilis mixed in. Those were great.
  • I have a sunflower seed burger recipe that is completely grain free. Would you be interested in that, or only bean based?
  • I find that chickpea flour can be a little difficult to work with, and has it's own unique flavor, so it's important that you experiment a bit with it to make sure the flavors work. Why not just try out a few things? It should be fun.

Also, where are you finding your chickpea flour? I can only find it at Indian groceries.
  • I would love the sunflower recipe. thanks!

I am lucky enough to find chickpea flour at the discount store on a regular basis (it's Bob's Red Mill). Ocean State also carries it here.

I will be experimenting more with this idea soon.
  • This is the recipe I use. I don't eat them raw though, I usually cook @350 or so until the patties feel like burgers, maybe 10-20 minutes ymmv.

eta oh no I can't post links yet, its a site called raw food diet inspiration and the page is /rawfoodburger.html