Soy, almond, rice milk... which one?

You're on Page 2 of 4
Go to
  • Miso is nothing like either tofu or soya milk, just as soya sauce is nothing like them either, though they all come from the humble soya bean. Tofu can take a bit of getting used to, you need to know how to deal with it and it can be incredibly different depending on how it's prepared. Not that I'm trying to convert you, I doubt your life will suffer because you're not consuming tofu.

Have fun experimenting!
  • I avoid soy, so I've got no useful opinion on that.

I like almond milk a lot better than rice milk.

I use coconut milk a lot... not the watered-down kind in the carton meant for drinking, but the canned stuff in the Asian food aisles. You can use it to make a milk-like beverage (http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/...ilk-tonic.html) but mainly I use it in cooking and desserts, or in my coffee or tea.

I tried hemp milk for the first time recently because I got a free carton - it was the vanilla flavored sweetened variety so OF COURSE it tasted delicious, lol, but the texture was also really nice. I don't even know if an unsweetened kind is readily available.
  • I got super excited when I saw this thread! Coconut milk! I didn't eat much dairy in the first place, but I can't go a day without vanilla coconut milk. Yes, the carton kind.

My breakfast: 2c spinach, 1c coconut milk, a handful of frozen strawberries. Blend and enjoy!
  • I also love coconut milk. I usually drink either that (in the shelf stable packaging) or almond milk (unsweetened).
  • I've gotten quite use to soy milk in the last year or so, but it was a process. My doctor instructed me to get as much soy as I can think to eat/drink, as I'm perimenopausal. I don't drink or eat a lot of it, but it is a good substitution for dairy milk. I am trying to wean off of dairy for the most part, especially butter . Oy...
  • I recently tried Coconut milk & it was too conconutty for me so I decided to try Almond milk & it's perfect! I love it!
  • I like unsweetened coconut (drinking) milk the best.
  • I truly enjoy almond milk, but I can't stand the Almond Dream brand. Ugh. I do enjoy soy milk, also, but it really depends on the brand. I've never tried coconut milk, but after this thread, I think I'm going to try some. I'm lactose intolerant, so new dairy replacement ideas are always welcome! :]
  • I think when it comes to taste everyone will have an opinion. I personally have tried Almond Milk and don't like it but I have fallen in love with Natura Organic Soy Milk. I buy the Tetra 3 packs (200ml each) in Vanilla, Chocolate and Strawberry and they are really yummy. You could even try the vanilla in your coffee as well I would guess.
  • love almond milk and coconut milk.. there is also hemp milk and Oat milk out there, have yet to try them..
  • I love almond milk.
  • I am going to try to make my own coconut milk... I like the nourishing gourmet. I love making my own stuff .
  • I drink the Trader Joe's brand boxed unsweetened vanilla almond milk. If I have a big sweet tooth then sometimes I will get a carton of the SilkPureAlmond dark chocolate. I don't really care for soy milk. I get really bad stomach aches every time I try it, so I don't anymore.
  • I like the Silk brand of unsweetened almond milk. I agree with Ange Says Rawr, the Almond Dream isn't as good.

Nut milks are super easy to make. You just soak raw nuts and then blend them. Cashew milk is yummy. Especially with a vanilla bean added. You do need a good blender to use the vanilla bean though.

All that said, I have no idea how any of these would be in coffee. I prefer my coffee black and from a French press. I'm a coffee snob!
  • Quote: All that said, I have no idea how any of these would be in coffee.
    I use 1/2 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk in my iced coffee every morning. I think it tastes great and it saves me money and calories not having to go to a coffee shop to get my morning fix!