Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:19 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5

Default Fresh Stevia

I just bought a couple stevia plants--which will hopefully flourish. I broke a leaf off and put it in my mouth, and it seemed as sweet as the stuff that comes in the jar.

Any ideas? I imagine the chopped leaves could be added to tea or to foods...I look forward to finding out how to use the sweet flavor in stead of sugar.
Stopfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #2  
Momma on a Mission

Height: 5'8"

I don't know where you are from, but I have heard that stevia is not very hardy. It is best kept in a pot so you can move it in and out doors with the weather and seasons. I haven't tried to grow it because it seemed fussy. With my schedule right now, I need something I can ignore and it still thrives. I have wondered about brewing stevia with tea and such too. I'd love to hear your results.
mtnheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:25 PM   #3  
Just keep swimming...

S/C/G: 244/see ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

Oh, I am interested in this, too! I just started using raw Stevia, but never thought to try/get it in the original leaf form. I bet it would be awesome in tea!
mamato2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:05 PM   #4  
Momma on a Mission

Height: 5'8"

I just found some interesting info on this page:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...336251160.html

It says the sweetness of stevia varies based upon soil and growing conditions, but the poster also gives some nice recipes to assist in using stevia.

I still look forward to hearing how yours works.
mtnheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:02 AM   #5  

mtnhearthanks for the link. I will check it out.
Where I live, there is virtually no frost, and definitely no snow.
I am also looking for non-fussy plants, but since I live on the coast, different plants are fussy here. For example, I cannot grow rhubarb or cherries, but maybe that's good because I would probably make a lot more sweets then!

The plants don't seem to get very big, so I suppose you could probably take them indoors if you have a harsh winter--or you could build a green house--but it sounds a lot easier to just buy it at the store!

The lady at the plant store told me that her biggest problem with them was over-watering.

I think it probably takes a lot more fresh or dried stevia to equal the same sweetness of the store products. I will definitely check out that link now, thanks.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #6  

Wow! That was an informative link, thanks!