Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Smashed Cauliflower???

I know a lot of ppl use califlower instead of or as an addition to, mashed potatoes. I'm not much of a cooked veggies person and I am still trying to learn to eat a bigger variety of all kinds of veg. I was thinking I might try smashing some caulifower with some potatoes and wondering if I could use frozen or if that is too watery. i know one of you chicks will have the answer. I am planning to use garlic, onion (or leeks), and a little bit of broth and yogurt for flavoring.

Usually, Robert will eat frozen veg and I have a salad, but I'm trying to use more veggies.

Thanks!

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 03:33 PM   #2  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Height: 5'6"

I prefer to use frozen because it is cooks to a more tender texture and because it tastes a little less like cauliflower.

My basic recipe (for one serving) is 1/4 bag frozen cauliflower, cooked until it is very tender and drained well, plus 2 T. (Greek) plain yogurt OR 2 T. cream cheese OR 1 T. yogurt/1 T. cc, and salt & pepper to taste. Whir it up in the food processor until it is the consistency of mashed potatoes. You can add different combos of things for flavor - garlic, herbs (rosemary, thyme, parsley, chives, dill), parmesan cheese, blue cheese, cheddar cheese, bacon.
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 03:42 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Thank you! I already have this week's menu planned, but next week, I'll be needing a side dish, so will have a go at it. Does it reheat well? We will be at a motel fo meals at the end of the week and I'm planning to take along my crock pot and containers of side dishes to just microwave so that I don't end up eating junk for dinner.

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:50 AM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I mash cauliflower with a tiny bit of potato (just enough to give it a little more of a potatoey flavor/texture), and it reheats well from the fridge (though I don't recommend freezing - the results are a bit unpredictable).

When I froze them, they were "ok" when microwaved directly from the freezer (though some of the water leeched out), and terrible when microwaved after thawing (a LOT of water leeched out, leaving the caulitaters a bit dry or mealy in texture).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

I make mashed cauliflower several times a week. (it's a bit of a food obsession, between mashed and au gratin cauliflower I have no need for potatoes anymore!)

I prefer to use frozen cauliflower. The best way I have found is to microwave or steam it until it's a bit overdone and slightly mushy, then drain out any water. I use an immersion blender to blend it up nice and smooth and, for a bag of cauliflower, usually add 2 tbsp of light sourcream, a tbsp of butter, and milk as needed to get the consistency I want. Little bit of salt and voila. It reheats very well, though I've never tried freezing it.
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:57 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

I grate mine in food processor and use instead of rice. A very nice substitute to rice and delicious flavor with smae seasonings I use for rice feeding the family. It goes bad rather quickly, so this week I am experimenting with freezing premeasured portions. i don't know how it will be thawed.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:33 PM   #7  
Pittoresque

I've to try that too... I'm not a "smashed stuff" kind of people but it seems nice, with some herbs. i just hope it isnt too gase
Claudine is offline   Reply With Quote