...And Organic Pears!!

• Here are the pears I picked off of the tree out at my fiance's place. I consider them "organic" like I did the apples I found. No pesticides or fertilizers or special care. They have a good flavor but are still slightly hard. I did some searching on Google and found it is best to pick them this way, then keep them cold for 2-7 days them put them at room temp. to ripen properly. If you wait until they ripen on the tree, they ripen from the inside out and are usually rotten on the inside when you think they are ready. I've been searching pear recipes all day and hope to make something yummy with them and share them with friends, too. I picked two baskets full of them. Again, as with the apples, they aren't the prettiest things, but that's okay....it's not a beauty contest!

• Oh, yum! We've been getting killer pears at our Farmer's market. Mmmm. Pears.
  • I made some Honey Pear Bread tonight. I'll let you know how it turned out after it cools....
  • Oh.....my.....gosh! My Honey Pear Bread turned out perfectly! It sure can't be low calorie, but it uses honey and canola oil, and I replaced the unbleached flour with whole wheat flour and it tastes awesome! I alos halved the recipe and made two small loaves instead of two large and froze one of them. Can't wait until my sons get home tomorrow to test it for me. I love baking!
  • I just got some excellent pears at Whole Foods. Honey pear bread sounds awesome.