Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 351/286/140

Height: 5'6"

Default New to Whole Foods with questions

I am recently reading about whole foods. I got really sick last year and decided that I need to make a change. At that time I was 351lbs. I have change my eating habits and have lost 70 lbs..BUT I want to start eating more whole REAL foods.

I have MAJOR tummy issues and they can't find out what is going on. I did have my galbladder removed last October. BUT my problems started before that. I am seeing a new GI Dr so we shall see.

My regular Dr suggested that I start eating more whole foods and read anything i could get my hands on. I have learned ALOT about the crude I have been putting in my body and my kids and hubby.

I know fast food is bad..but honestly til I started reading books meat was just meat to me.

I am going to explore this thread...and apply it to my life.

Has anyone here stopped having any tummy issues after stopping eating refined foods? My symptoms are bloating right after eating..sometimes I dont even have to eat.Nausea and stomach aches.

Thanks for your help.
azcyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:50 PM   #2  

I had a similar issue in my losing phase but more just not able to eat large quantities anymore. Try many small "meals" a day. As to eliminating processed foods- just get started simply while continuing to learn and experiment. Veggies come without any additives and eventually if you can organic (no low fat cheese sauce...), meats same as veggies- no low fat hot dogs or chicken patties- real food and eventually grass fed, organic, etc. Carbs = not in a package unless just a container. No low fat wheat thins etc- try potatoes, brown rice, quinoa, beans (ok canned as you start out). Just really look at the food and ask yourself how much it has gone thru to get to you. Congrats on your weight loss to date and more importantly congrats on treating yourself well. Also there is a phrase 12 step programs use: progress not perfection. If you can increase the whole foods over time you will benefit.

Last edited by tommy; 06-27-2010 at 06:57 PM.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:04 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I used to have a lot of stomach issues but once I cleaned up my diet, they all went away. I would regularly take pepto, on a daily basis basically. Now I don't. Although I never ate fast food, my diet was hardly 'clean'. Something you should look at is dairy and refined grains like bread, I know both of those caused issues for me and for a lot of people in general.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

Great job on the weight loss so far!
My body doesnt respond well to fatty foods, i get terrible stomach pain and cramps with fatty food. Yours doesnt sound like it is related to a MIA gallbladder, that is usually associated with chronic diarrhea. You may have irritiable bowel syndrome, if you lay off coffee that may help, that is supposed to be a trigger and also fatty foods, but do it on alternating days, so you can see if it is the coffee or the fatty food. I know you didnt mention coffee, but it is just a thought, since coffee can have a huge impact on the bowels.
Good luck with your future weight loss!
STacy
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:08 PM   #5  

Height: 5'7"

I heard someone say once "If your great grandmother wouldn't recognize it, it's not food".
summersbluepits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 351/286/140

LOL summers that is so true! I made pudding the other day..seriously as I was mixing I thought..the milk is the only thing in here I recognize as food
azcyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:38 PM   #7  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

I have major issues with my tummy too... I would recommend reading ultrametabolism it really helps to explain(sometimes in more ways than I understand) about how food affects your body and how your body communicates depending on which foods you eat... I have found that dairy and gluten really have a bad impact on me. Goat cheese doesn't seem as bad, I can tolerate corn in small quantities,same for fatty foods... its all a matter of touch and go for me though as I can't really afford the testing right now that it would take to learn this info from the dr... But, I guess what I am trying to say is it could be food allergies/intolerences....
rdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: (HW=174)154/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

I'd try eliminating one thing you eat for a week at a time and see if it make a difference. Good things to try are dairy products, fatty items, and gluten containing foods. (Gluten is everywhere, so you'll have to do some research.)

I feel better when I eat a low fat, high fiber diet with a large quantity of vegetables. I definitely eat more than 5 servings a day of veggies. Even just replacing your normal lunch with a chef salad could make a big difference (as long as you don't load it up with cheese, bacon and ranch like my brother likes to do.) :-)

Good luck and congratulations on 70 pounds lost!
RunnerChemist is offline   Reply With Quote