3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Whole Foods Lifestyle (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/whole-foods-lifestyle-209/)
-   -   Eatng Clean = Whole food eating? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/whole-foods-lifestyle/204817-eatng-clean-%3D-whole-food-eating.html)

Viviane 07-01-2010 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LandonsBaby (Post 3365715)
Does Eating Clean really advocate cutting out all saturated fat? What about eggs? Organic grass fed beef? Unrefined coconut oil? Those are whole foods but they do have saturated fat.

No, it doesn't! :) I'm not sure where this thing with cutting out all saturated fat came from, someone else mentioned that, too. She does not advocate cutting ALL saturated fat. Eggs, grass fed beef and coconut oil are all foods that Reno actually suggests you eat! Just don't go overboard with egg yolks or eat red meat at every meal. ;) She also really pushes nuts and salmon, which have saturated fat (the "good" fats). Reno also suggests you choose dairy products that are low-fat or fat free, so saturated fats from dairy would be eliminated or nearly eliminated. I'll have to re-read the book to see where people get this impression. I have the "Recharged" version of the book...maybe the first book was different?

nelie 07-01-2010 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viviane (Post 3366135)
No, it doesn't! :) I'm not sure where this thing with cutting out all saturated fat came from, someone else mentioned that, too. She does not advocate cutting ALL saturated fat. Eggs, grass fed beef and coconut oil are all foods that Reno actually suggests you eat! Just don't go overboard with egg yolks or eat red meat at every meal. ;) She also really pushes nuts and salmon, which have saturated fat (the "good" fats). Reno also suggests you choose dairy products that are low-fat or fat free, so saturated fats from dairy would be eliminated or nearly eliminated. I'll have to re-read the book to see where people get this impression. I have the "Recharged" version of the book...maybe the first book was different?

I don't eat dairy myself but in general, I don't think a whole foods diet would advocate fat free dairy at all. Although dairy is processed in itself unless you get whole, raw milk from a farm but even when I ate dairy, I stayed far away from fat free dairy and some low fat dairy.

WaterRat 07-02-2010 09:42 PM

YOu can have raw fat-free milk - the milk is just centrifuged so that the cream (fat) rises to the top and is skimmed off (hence, skim milk). Whole fat milk is homogenized, that is the cream is mixed in. My grandfather was a county milk inspector and brought home raw milk all the time and centrifuged it (so the % of fat in each cow's milk could be calculated among other tests). In those days (the 1950's) people rarely drank raw milk, but we used the cream and the dog got the skim milk. :lol:

gardenerjoy 07-03-2010 01:24 PM

I eat fat-free milk and plain yogurt. But fat-free cheeses cross the line for me as being too processed.

Handbags66 07-03-2010 08:12 PM

I eat plain yogurt, but I drink unsweetened almond milk because I just prefer the taste. Fat free cheese kinda groses me out too. I make alot of green smoothies but I do not use whey powder.

DianaG 07-25-2010 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ennay (Post 3346447)
One difference I have seen just from friends who are on the eat clean diet is she seems to be a big fan of protein shakes which are most definitely a processed food.

All the stuff I read on the Eat Clean diet seem to say no processed foods, but everyone I know on it has tons of protein powder in their diet.

I belive but am not sure, that she advocates eliminating ALL saturated fat and I can't remember her take on honey. I think everyone I know uses stevia which I consider something akin to torture. I'd rather eat nothing sweet at all.

MTA - it is also a 6 meal a day plan

Hi. Someone may have answered your question. I admit I haven't finished reading the thread. I have her Eat Clean book- the first one- and sweeteners like Honey, Agave Nectar, Stevia, Sucanat and Rapadura sugar she says to use in moderation, but they are considered clean.

Her plan is to eat 5 to 6 small meals a day so that you are not going prolonged periods of time between meals to keep blood sugar even.

The meals should be a mix of lean protein and complex carbs.

2 liters of water a day

Don't skip meals

Avoid processed foods especially with white flour and sugar, chemicals, preservatives and artificial sweeteners.

She says to avoid saturated fats and trans fats, but to make sure to get adequate amounts of EFA's (essential fatty acids- unsaturated fats- such as avacado, almond, cashews, flax seed, olive olil, walnuts etc...) each day.

Make the majority of your meals fresh fruits and vegetables with a lot of fiber, vitamins and enzymes and stick to normal portion sizes.

My take on it is to eat foods as closest to their natural state as possible.

The protein shakes are not required. She does say if making a smoothie adding protein powder and flax seed to it is one way to add proteins and EFA's into your day if needed.

I think the people who go overboard on the protein shakes are into the body building aspects of her plan which would need the added protein.

Many of the recipes in her cookbooks call for eggs when making her multi-grain muffins etc... I see little difference if any in the whole foods way of eating and clean eating. I tell people my plan is a mix of clean eating and calorie counting and when I say that I mean whole foods because I don't differentiate between the two terms, but that is just my understanding of the two terms.

mals1 07-29-2010 12:07 PM

Diana, You said what I was going to say.

strega*luna 07-30-2010 07:06 PM

Me, too!

I read Tosca's first book a couple of weeks ago, found it to be very common-sense and healthy. Other than giving up the addictive "white stuff," I find it to be a really easy way to eat! I was not consuming many processed foods anyway, this just feels "right" to me. :carrot:

Alana in Canada 07-30-2010 11:16 PM

I eat whole foods, too, not because I'm following any sort of plan which calls for it, but because the more I learn about processed food, the more scared I get of the middle aisles of the grocery store!

DianaG 08-06-2010 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alana in Canada (Post 3412849)
I eat whole foods, too, not because I'm following any sort of plan which calls for it, but because the more I learn about processed food, the more scared I get of the middle aisles of the grocery store!

I learned my lesson about straying from Whole Foods this past week. Money and time has been tight this past week, so I cheated a bit and used some pre-processed items that were on sale and just throw in the oven kind of meals (frozen pizza, lemon juice concentrate instead of cutting up a lemon for my water etc...).

I am allergic to sulfites to the point where if I eat to many of them I get hives. Well, with all the lemon juice and processed foods with sulfites for preservatives I got a giant hive on my lover lip that covered the whol lip and down the side of my face to my neck. My bottom lip had to be swollen to about an inch out from my face and it was hard to drink from a cup or talk without sounding a bit off. After massive doses of benedryll it is almost normal sized, but now my lips are cracked from being stretched and the skin is all ugly and red where the hive was. This experience was a good reminder to me of why I switched to whole foods in the first place.