3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Whole Foods Lifestyle (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/whole-foods-lifestyle-209/)
-   -   Any ideas to make Greek yogurt taste better??? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/whole-foods-lifestyle/195524-any-ideas-make-greek-yogurt-taste-better.html)

fruitlady 02-28-2010 04:09 PM

Any ideas to make Greek yogurt taste better???

Hi Chicks, I just tried organic nonfat plain greek yogurt. I'm not sure if I like it, but I would like to continue eating it since it is so much healthier than the other yogurt, that I eat everyday. I tried putting mixed fresh berries in it and it's ok, but I think i miss the sweetness of the other yogurt. Does anyone have any low fat, low calorie ideas that I could use?? Or other uses for greek yogurt? Even if it's not sweet, I'll continue to eat it, but won't enjoy it too much. :?::?:

ANewCreation 02-28-2010 04:17 PM

If you can have the extra calories try some agave syrup. I think it's 60 cal for one tablespoon. It's very sweet so you might be able to get by with less than a tablespoon. Or you could try xylitol, a zero calorie sweetner found at health food stores. I also like xylitol. Or Stevia, another zero calorie sweetner. I find it to have a bitter aftertaste, but you might not notice it with fruit.

A banana could also add some more sweetness.

I love greek yogurt but I have to add some sweetness so I understand where you're coming from. Agave works for me! It also comes flavored, for example blueberry or strawberry. I think I've also seen caramel and chocolate flavored, same calorie content.

Enjoy!

grrrkgrrrl 02-28-2010 04:18 PM

crush almonds!

or

chop a banana

or

1 tbspoon of organic honey (if you have honey in your plan)

enjoy!

p.s. you can put it instead of creme in some recipes like curry

stellarwbz 02-28-2010 04:18 PM

What I do is chop up a cucumber and mix with the yogurt and some dill. It taste yummy.

You can also make your own strawberry banana yogurt. I let frozen strawberries from the freezer section thaw and and then mash them a bit and put a spoonful of sugar with it and boil it on the stove to make a straweberry sauce. Then let it cool and chop up a banana and mix it with the yogurt. It is very filling and very tasty.

CJZee 02-28-2010 04:28 PM

I like to mix the "all-fruit" jam/jelly into it, the kind with no sugar. There are different brands, Polaner is a big one. I have been eating Fifty50 brand all-fruit spread (http://www.fifty50foods.com/spreads.html) sweetened with NutraSweet. It has only 5 calories a Tablespoon. They have brands without any artificial sweetener also if that is your preference. Smuckers has some also they call "Simply Fruit". There is a wide variance of calories among them, so be sure and check.

I just mix the yogurt and jelly together and I find it like a dessert. Although I like the yogurt by itself also.

Scorpio1986 02-28-2010 05:15 PM

Honey!

fruitlady 02-28-2010 06:05 PM

Thanks! These are great ideas, never new there was flavored agave!

JulieJ08 02-28-2010 06:58 PM

Also try the low fat version, you may enjoy it more.

paris81 03-01-2010 10:03 AM

I was thinking of trying to use greek yoguart as a kind of sour cream subsistute--I'm not sure if it would be good or not, but I agree that the flavor is a bit bitter. Has anyone tried it this way?

PinkyPie 03-01-2010 10:42 AM

definitely honey or take some juicy mandarins/ tangerines and squeeze the juice in there!

I mix mine always with frozen blueberries and raspberries and it flavours it plenty by the time the berries have melted :)

CPTSayrah 03-01-2010 12:16 PM

Plain greek yogurt is a good substitute for sour cream

SeventeenTheStar 03-01-2010 07:34 PM

I agree with people who have suggested honey. I love using it as more of a dip for yummy nuts like almonds or with fruit like apples. It adds a nice tangy taste to sweet foods.

Renacer 03-01-2010 08:20 PM

I love the flavor of Fage 0% Greek yogurt with grapes, sometimes I also add granola.

Sometimes I put on it: cinnamon, honey, granola, strawberries or pineapple.

You can use it to make soups, use it instead of sour cream and even as a salad dressing!

ValentineNicole 03-01-2010 08:43 PM

I also agree with those that said honey. If you can afford the calories, it's DIVINE.

KylieH 03-02-2010 12:21 AM

I have tried a number of different brands and each tastes a little different. Fage 0% is the best I've tried. (Greek Gods Vanilla, Cinnamon, and Orange is hands down the best, but it's low fat not non-fat, so I use it for special desserts.)