Who eats organically?

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Local is a higher priority for me than organic, in most cases, and as other people have mentioned in the thread, there are plenty of local farmers who are effectively organic, but just don't or can't spend the money on getting certified. In my own garden, I am 100% organic, and we're looking into getting chickens or ducks at some point in the future, so we'll have extremely local organic eggs. As for the rest, mostly I buy my grains and pulses and winter vegetables from the Asian markets and traditional greengrocers around here, and I'm under no illusions that they're organic, for the most part, but I like supporting my local community as much as possible. The stuff I bake bread with is certified organic, as is our milk and much of the cheese. I can't find any organic Greek yogurt I like as much as the Fage, so I don't bother with that.

I don't eat meat, but my husband does, and since there's only the one of us eating meat, organic is pretty easily affordable there.
  • I can't afford to buy everything organic, so I just wash fruits and vegetables well. Some things taste like nothing unless they're organic though, like tomatoes and strawberries IMO. I have a list somewhere that says which fruits and vegetables have the highest pesticide residues and which ones are ok to be bought non-organic.
  • I am jealous too ! My friend provides me with fresh eggs when her hens are laying, but the growing season here is so short that my veggies and fruits are from last summer, preserved, or trucked in from warmer climates. In the summer I sell my soaps and crafts at the local farm markets, and can usually trade or get fresh produce on the cheap. I would love to go 100% organic and I do so whenever I can afford it. I believe that food is a social issue not just a question of health. It is becoming so clear to me by reading some of these posts , how wired people are to the frankenfood which is so cheap and available...but what is the real cost ?
  • I found local farmers who sell grassland fed beef, pork and also have chicken and eggs. Once I have a deep freezer, I will be buying from them. Right now I am buying my turkey and chicken from Costco. I love our local Farmers Market. I love supporting our local farmers. In the winter, I buy our produce that is "in season". I dont like buying stuff like canteloupe... i have no idea where in the world that is coming from during the winter months...

I watched a movie recently called Food, Inc. It was really eye opening. I immediately switched to being more organic. i dont do it for "the earth". I am doing it for a healthier me. No more messing around for me.
  • Good movie !
  • my husband and i eat 95% organic on a shoestring budget. the only times we don't eat organic are:

-if there is a local option, but not a local-organic option. local is more important to me than organic, ultimately.
    -if we're going out to eat. obviously, our local mexican restaurant does not use organic tomatoes, but it's important to us to support local business. we haven't eaten at a chain in over 5 years.
    - we never eat anything with dyes, HFCS, hydrogenated oils, artificial sweeteners, or too many mystery ingredients (suggesting a lot of processing). this is the only step that made me FEEL better, physically. we've been eating this way for about 3 years. everything else is driven by ethical/social concern.
  • this article is a good starting point for anyone looking to eat local organic on a budget.
  • I try as much as we can. I'm looking to join a local CSA close to our house. I believe during the Spring they open a FM at the NY Botanical Garden and we are not far from it.

I was so excited when we went on our vacation to Puerto Rico during the Holidays. My son was able to pick up oranges, pumpkin, eggs, cilantro, plantains and my family even killed a chicken to make him some soup. I miss PR in that way.
  • I eat a few organic foods, like eggs and apples.
  • I have been eating organically for close to a month now. I find that it isn't as expensive as I had thought if I go with a shopping list and stick to a plan and that the food tastes better because I am buying more locally grown and within season. I also have had very few if any cravings for junk food. I don't deny myself and eat what I want. While I switched due to health benefits I have found that a positive side effect has been weight loss. I did lose about 10lbs due to being in the hospital but have since managed to not gain it back and lose 3 more. Of course a month is hardly a lifetime but this is the longest I have stuck to anything in a long time and that is because for me it is truely a lifestyle change and not a diet.
  • I choose more local than organic, and I'm fortunate to have farmers in my family so much of it is free or discounted. I try to get as much organic as possible, and only purchase meat from a local farmer.

Great article, seidlet. The books she references look interesting too.
  • I've been purchasing organic food now for over 2 years, and I love it. The meat is awesome because I purchase only grass fed meat. And believe me, when you are eating organically for a while and you try to switch, you CAN taste the difference - and it's awful! I don't ever step foot into any grocery store now unless its a "Whole Foods" or a "Trader Joe's".

When I first started shopping organically, I would buy one or two organic condiments; and then purchase a couple of meats and pasta and then purchase all of my fruits and veggies. I would do this every week until even my spices were organic. It costs me about $50 more a week to shop organically, but it's well worth it.

I think that if most people actually KNEW that garbage that was in their foods, they would switch to organic products.
  • I buy organic beans, popcorn, groats, and carrots and when I can find ones that look good I buy organic apples and potatoes. For some reason I have better luck in the summer and fall with apples than I do right now. Another poster mentioned the bulk bins, they are a great way to reduce food costs!
    I use this for our groats, the oatmeal is really good:
    http://www.amazon.com/Harold-Import-.../dp/B000UV492E

I buy organic valley or horizens milk when we can afford it. My son loves the Horizens chocolate milks!

I just bought Pacific free range low sodium chicken broth the other night. I'm going to try it with instant potatoes. I love chicken noodle soup!