Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:16 PM   #31  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

Yes, well, it is heavier than a piece of equal size whole grain supermarket bread, but it isn't as dense as Ezekiel...
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:34 PM   #32  

Marigrace, I agree that supermarket bread is a lot "less dense" than homemade. That is where the extra calories are coming in I'll bet. It definitely sounds delicious though!

Nelie, Thank you for the advice on keeping it refridgerated after thawing. Unfortunately, we do not have a Trader Joe's in Central Florida. There are about four health food stores near me, so I will call for prices on the bread before I decide which store to drag myself too, lol. I usually just go to the closest, but if it is a huge difference I'll drive farther.
DianaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:41 PM   #33  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

Oh well, girls, I was hoping that the calories were somehow magically exempt or something....too bad about that....
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:45 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 221/203/150

Height: 5'6"

My favorite is a local brand called Dave's Killer Bread. It's organic and filled with great stuff (no sugars, etc.) but it's NOT low cal or low fat (120 cals and 3gms of fat per slice). Still, I'd rather have one slice of fantastic bread than a loaf of low-cal puffy stuff. The fact that Dave (a real guy) is using his bakery to do good in the Portland community is another plus.
bbigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:19 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 220/199/180

Height: 5'11"

I have had some trouble finding a good bread as well. I found one at Costco, but don't remember what it was. We are also experimenting with bread recipes i will post them for you to try.
jeremiahlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:19 AM   #36  

Ingredients
• 1 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
• 2/3 packet active dry yeast
• 1 Tbsp honey
• 1 + 2/3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
• 1 Tablespoons Canola Oil
• 1/3 tablespoon salt
• 1 + 1/6 cups whole wheat flour
• 2 teaspoons butter, melted
• 1 Tbsp flax seed, sunflower seeds, or oatmeal.
• 1 Tbs powdered gluten.
Directions
1. In a large bowl, mix warm water, yeast, and 1 Tbsp honey. Add 1 + 2/3 cups whole wheat pastry flour, and stir to combine. Let set for 30 minutes, or until big and bubbly.
2. Mix in 1 tablespoons Canola Oil, and salt. Stir in 2/3 cups whole wheat flour. Flour a flat surface and knead with whole wheat flour until not real sticky - just pulling away from the counter, but still sticky to touch. This may take an additional cup of whole wheat flour. Place in a bowl with some olive oil, turning once to coat the surface of the dough. Cover with a dishtowel. Let rise in a warm place until doubled.
3. Punch down, and place in greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pans, and allow to rise until dough has topped the pans by one inch.
4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 to 30 minutes; do not overbake. Lightly brush the tops of loaves with 2 tablespoons melted butter when done to prevent crust from getting hard. Cool completely
Old 02-06-2010, 12:20 AM   #37  

Whole Grain Oatmeal Sandwich Bread
1 cup boiling water
1 cup rolled oats
2 Tbsp butter cut into 3 pieces
1 ½ tsp salt
¼ cup honey
¼ cup warm water
1 Tbsp yeast.
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour.
¼ cup nonfat dry milk
Mix the boiling water, oats, butter, salt and honey into a medium bowl, stir and let the mixture cool to lukewarm.
Mix the ¼ cup warm water with the yeast, let dissolve, then add all of the remaining dough ingredients with the oat mixture and kneed with a mixing machine until you’ve made a soft smooth dough. Place it into a bowl and cover it and let rise for 1 hour or until it doubles in size.
Gently deflate the dough, and put it into a greased 9x5 inch loaf pan, cover and let rise for another hour to an hour and a half.
Heat the oven to 350, cook for 20 minutes, then cover with tinfoil, then cook for another 25 minutes, or until the inside temperature of the bread reaches 190 degrees. Let cool and enjoy.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:22 AM   #38  

I've also been frustrated at the lack of good tortialla shells available, and came up with this recipe, it tastes great, but a bit on the hard side. I ran it under water before flatting out, and that seemed to help.

Ingredients
• 5 cups whole wheat bread flour
• 3/4 cup olive oil
• 2 teaspoons salt
• 1 1/2 cups boiling water
• Whole wheat flour for rolling
Directions
1. In a large bowl, stir together 1 cup all-purpose flour, the whole wheat flour, and salt. Rub in the olive oil by hand until the mixture is the texture of oatmeal. Make a well in the center, and pour in the boiling water. Mix with a fork until all of the water is evenly incorporated. Sprinkle with a bit of additional flour, and knead until the dough does not stick to your fingers. The dough should be smooth.
2. Make balls the size of golf balls, about 2 ounces each. Place them on a tray, and cover with a damp paper towel. Let stand for at least 1 hour, or up to 8 hours.
3. Heat a griddle to 375-400. On a lightly floured surface, roll out a tortilla to your preferred thinness. Fry one at a time. Place on the griddle for 10 seconds, as soon as you see a bubble on the top, flip the tortilla over. Let it cook for about 30 seconds. While waiting for those tortillas to form bubbles, quickly flatten next 2-3 balls, then roll out after flipping the tortillas on the griddle. Repeat until all of the balls have been cooked. Tortillas can be refrigerated or frozen.
4. YOU ONLY NEED TO FLIP THEM ONCE. COOKING TOO LONG WILL LEAVE THEM BRITTLE.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:14 PM   #39  
A Turtle loser

S/C/G: 254/239/200

Ezekiel pita bread, and there whole grain, 7 grain. it is easier for me to digest.
Michelle1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:53 AM   #40  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/170

I'm new here, but curious... What is beneficial about eating the sprouted/live breads? I'm intrigued!
FatToFitWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #41  

S/C/G: S-218/C-170/G-159 & 24.9 BMI

Height: 5'7"-BMI-26.6=OVERWEIGHT

Thank you for this thread. I am also looking for healthy bread to eat. I enjoyed reading all of your posts.
LAgreeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:23 AM   #42  
too big to fail

I don't eat bread. There are so many delicious, healthy grains out there that it isn't really necessary. Just a thought.
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:22 AM   #43  

S/C/G: 132/116.6/114

Height: 5'2"

I'm actually trying to wean myself off bread but I'm doing it slowly, and taking myself to wholemeal/wholegrain. Recently I've been eating quinoa & flaxseed wholegrain bread. Soooo good and filling too.

Last edited by Precious Little; 03-05-2012 at 04:22 AM.
Precious Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:03 AM   #44  
Getting back into it

S/C/G: 170/ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatToFitWife View Post
I'm new here, but curious... What is beneficial about eating the sprouted/live breads? I'm intrigued!
I've always known that protein in grain is more accessible when it's sprouted, the rest of this is gleaned from various websites:

--Basically, sprouting the grains activates food enzymes; increases vitamin content, and neutralizes antinutrients like phytic acid which bind up minerals preventing your ability to fully absorb them.

--Sprouted wheat contains four times the amount of niacin and nearly twice the amount of vitamin B6 and folate. The process of sprouting also leads to a product that is easier to digest.

I love everything about Dave's Killer Bread, but I no longer eat bread or wheat and my kids say it is too sweet.

I used to bake my own bread, and then we ate Ezekiel and now I get them anything that is whole grain, not HFC and that doesn't contain dairy (one child is allergic).

Fred Meyer has an organic variety that's ok, and Trader Joe's has a few.

Great Harvest Bread (hand-baked breads including gluten free - franchises here and there in the US) and a couple of our local bakeries use nothing but the most basic ingredients - even the white bread from these places is better than eating run of the mill whole wheat.

Last edited by smarkey; 03-09-2012 at 02:45 AM.
smarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 329/254.6/180?

Height: 5'4"

I eat Ezekiel too. I also get an organic multigrain from a local bakery. They specialize in gluten free products. This is not gluten free but has good ingredients in it. I buy one loaf of bread every two weeks for myself and DH. We do not eat much bread but I sometimes crave a sandwich or toast.
pluckypear is offline   Reply With Quote