Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:07 PM   #1  
Ready for final round!

S/C/G: 217/189/168

Height: 5'3

Question Brown Rice

Alright, this might sound a little funny. But, ive never eaten brown rice. Ive heard it is similair to whole grain pasta. Has nutrition + it isnt in anyway processed like white flour. So my question is, for the people that actually eat brown rice. Has anyone lost weight eating it.... and how much do you typically eat?

Last edited by HeatherEljohari; 08-27-2009 at 08:07 PM.
HeatherEljohari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I prefer it for the taste, even before I lost weight. I like my grains flavorful and chewy I usually have about 1/2c (cooked) at a time, with stir-fried veggies. I had it regularly while losing (usually several times a week).

Last edited by JulieJ08; 08-27-2009 at 10:41 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:51 PM   #3  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherEljohari View Post
Alright, this might sound a little funny. But, ive never eaten brown rice. Ive heard it is similair to whole grain pasta. Has nutrition + it isnt in anyway processed like white flour. So my question is, for the people that actually eat brown rice. Has anyone lost weight eating it.... and how much do you typically eat?
Maybe a better way to say it is that brown rice is a nuttier, chewier, tastier version of white rice. It has no relation to either whole grain pasta (except they are both less processed) or white flour. I eat brown rice rather than white rice, but I also keep my percentage of all carbohydrates on the low side. Brown rice fits nicely into a weight loss program as it fills you up and has a lower GI than white rice. Like Julie, I typically eat 1/3 - 1/2 cup serving.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:01 PM   #4  
slowNsteady wins the race

S/C/G: 191/ticker/145

Height: 5'-4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat View Post
Maybe a better way to say it is that brown rice is a nuttier, chewier, tastier version of white rice. It has no relation to either whole grain pasta (except they are both less processed) or white flour. I eat brown rice rather than white rice, but I also keep my percentage of all carbohydrates on the low side. Brown rice fits nicely into a weight loss program as it fills you up and has a lower GI than white rice. Like Julie, I typically eat 1/3 - 1/2 cup serving.
+1

I know a lot of people like whole grain pasta. I think it tastes like gritty cardboard and dread eating it. There is no reason to dread brown rice.

As WaterRat said, chewier, slightly nutty-tasting version of white rice. Delish!

That said, there is some variation in varieties brown rice. The cheap brown rice I tend to find at the grocery store differs from white rice only in color. Tastes the same as white to me (so I buy wild rice mixes instead). The brown rice I get at PeiWei and similar restaurants is chewy, nutty heaven.
rocketbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:11 PM   #5  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I love brown rice! I was able to lose just fine eating it and still eat it nowadays. My serving is 1/2 cup.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:14 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I love brown rice - it was and remains an important staple in my diet. I think it has a nuttier, better taste than white rice. I love to eat stir fries/curries over brown rice. I also like maple glazed salmon served over brown rice.

It's been over 5 years and I still measure rice before I cook it to make sure I eat a healthy portion (200 calories of rice is pretty small).
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:52 AM   #7  
Losing 20! :)

S/C/G: 190/190/140

Height: 5ft 5in

I ONLY eat brown rice...I like it better...a little organic butter and some salt and pepper...I got use to it.. I prefer it and wont eat anything else...
kiahna23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:41 AM   #8  
Ready for final round!

S/C/G: 217/189/168

Height: 5'3

1/4 cup uncooked then? Yeah... I havent touched rice since I began my diet. Mostly coz I know how I use to eat it! But, it was always white rice. And now I know thats poison to my body. So hoping it would be different with brown rice. I use to love peanut sauce over rice! Yummi.
HeatherEljohari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:27 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/171/150

Height: 5'6"

If you want to have the BEST brown rice ever, buy it from Massa Organics. Its a family farm in Northern California, and they sell their rice online. It's fantastic, I just ordered 10 pounds more!

http://www.massaorganics.com/
festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:02 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

I'm another who prefers the taste over white rice (which I don't even like anymore). My mom switched to cooking with brown rice when I was still living at home, maybe about 10 years ago, so I got used to it and have used it ever since.

I know the most accurate way to measure it is before you cook it, but I usually cook big batches and freeze it, so I'm always measuring it when it's cooked - it depends on what I'm eating it with, and how many calories I can spare that day, but usually I eat 1/2 to 1 cup cooked.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:46 PM   #11  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I usually eat a cup of brown rice, but that counts as 2 carbs. I love it with peanut sauce! And either stir-fried or steamed veggies. DH makes it for us in big batches in the rice cooker and I eat the leftovers out of the refrigerator, measuring to make sure that I don't go overboard.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:11 PM   #12  

Hmm, as someone who began to grow interest in brown rice I was wondering : how did you guys cook it? In a rice cooker, in a stove or something?

I was planning to buy brown rice but the house only has one rice cooker (and they eat white rice) so I couldn't cook it there...I'm considering cooking it with the stove but won't that be a risotto? Would a brown rice risotto taste good?
Trefle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:33 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trefle View Post
Hmm, as someone who began to grow interest in brown rice I was wondering : how did you guys cook it? In a rice cooker, in a stove or something?

I was planning to buy brown rice but the house only has one rice cooker (and they eat white rice) so I couldn't cook it there...I'm considering cooking it with the stove but won't that be a risotto? Would a brown rice risotto taste good?
I've got to warn you - I've only ever cooked ANY rice on the stove, so I can't compare it to other methods. I've seen people talk about cooking rice in the oven, which I'd like to try just for fun, but haven't gotten around to yet. And I've never used a rice cooker - for the once or twice a month I eat rice, I can't spare the counter space.

Brown rice takes longer to cook on the stove than white - about 45 minutes. I just bring the water to a boil (1 3/4 or 2 cups water per cup of rice), stir in the rice, turn down the heat to a very slow simmer, cover, and resist any temptation to lift the lid or stir until the time is up.

I'm not sure what the exact definition of a risotto is, but it seems to require 1) adding the liquid in small portions as you cook and 2) stirring frequently so that the starchy outside layers break apart and thicken the mixture. I've also always sauteed the rice in oil or butter first, and used part wine and part broth/stock as the cooking liquid, but I don't know if those are true of every recipe. That said, you definitely can make risotto with brown rice... I think short grain would work best, and I don't know if it would be quite as thick as with white.

Last edited by mayness; 09-02-2009 at 03:34 PM.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:49 PM   #14  

Height: 5'6"

I cook mine in the oven. It comes out perfectly every time, and I don't have to babysit it. There's never any crusty pieces on top or soggy ones on the bottom. I bake a batch every week, and I don't think I could go back to doing it on the stove.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:58 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 246/233/175

Height: 5'8"

I'm lazy... I buy Success boil-in-bag brown rice... Takes ten minutes to cook and it's sooo good.
jefferzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote