3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Whole Foods Lifestyle (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/whole-foods-lifestyle-209/)
-   -   Dinner in a PUMPKIN! I LOVE THIS IDEA! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/whole-foods-lifestyle/183859-dinner-pumpkin-i-love-idea.html)

Thighs Be Gone 10-10-2009 01:34 PM

Dinner in a PUMPKIN! I LOVE THIS IDEA!

I am a total FALL LOVER HERE!

I just found a recipe today and it sounds soooo good and SOOOO precious.

Basically, you wash a pumpkin and cut off the top. Scoop out the innards. Load it with cabbage, tomato sauce, rice and ground turkey or beef. Season it and bake it (with the pumpkin lid on) for 2-3 hours.

Anyone else try this before? It looks super yum and just so neat. Calorie count (with ground beef) is 364. I will use seasoned turkey.

LookingForMeAgain 10-10-2009 01:38 PM

Cute just like stuffed peppers but only in a pumpkin!
I may try this since my DH loves stuffed peppers and also loves fall and pumpkins.

Thighs Be Gone 10-10-2009 02:01 PM

Yes, exactly. The recipe has pretty good reviews. It actually called for green beans too but I am not using them. I don't think they fit.

Some people used the pumpkin seeds too so there is no waste.

rockinrobin 10-10-2009 02:05 PM

Sounds interesting. Would have to be a small-ish pumpkin though.

I too love the fall. And boy oh boy do I love onslaught of the winter squashes. I've yet to try pumpkin. Hmmm.....

WildThings 10-10-2009 08:52 PM

I bet this would be great with other winter squashes too. I bought a ton today because they were such a great price. I think I will be eating butternut squash soup until February.

ennay 10-13-2009 05:53 PM

Yes

some other varieties - apples, sausage cheese and herbs
or dessert - apples, walnuts, raisins, brown sugar and cinnamon.

It can be done with little pumpkins to make individual dishes or bigger pumpkins to make a family dish.

ennay 10-13-2009 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockinrobin (Post 2964624)
Sounds interesting. Would have to be a small-ish pumpkin though.

I too love the fall. And boy oh boy do I love onslaught of the winter squashes. I've yet to try pumpkin. Hmmm.....

If you are going to try pumpkin, look for a sugar sweet, sugar pie or some sort of heirloom variety. The stuff they sell for jackolanterns isnt very good.

rockinrobin 10-13-2009 06:29 PM

Ennay, I use acorn squash and stuff it EXACTLY like you say - raisins, walnuts, apples, brown sugar, cinnamon. We LOVE it here. LOVE it.

Thanks for the info on the pumpkin. Dopey & totally ignorant me was definitely thinking of those big Halloween-ish ones.

Wolf Goddess 10-14-2009 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ennay (Post 2969137)
If you are going to try pumpkin, look for a sugar sweet, sugar pie or some sort of heirloom variety. The stuff they sell for jackolanterns isnt very good.

Sometimes stores have them labeled simply as "pie pumpkins" too.

Thighs Be Gone 10-14-2009 02:40 PM

Yes, mine was a PIE pumpkin.

Oh, I love the idea on the acorn squash. Wow, so many FUN and YUMMO ideas. MMmmm...I can hardly wait to make that.

Jane 10-14-2009 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ennay (Post 2969135)
......It can be done with little pumpkins to make individual dishes ....

Wow, that would really make a statement at a fall dinner party!

ringmaster 10-15-2009 05:25 PM

so you just cut the top off and scoop out the seeds? is it hard to get the seeds out? I found this recipe over on sparkpeople that looks easy http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recip...?recipe=414474

FitGirlyGirl 10-25-2009 09:01 PM

I do this. I use ground meat (what kind varies with my mood), brown rice, onions, seasonings (again a mood thing), sometimes some chopped nuts, diced apples, cranberries, extra veggies. I usually use the really small ones and give everyone their own. If you use the small ones you should cut down the baking time, I cook mine for about an hour. It is very yummy and not nearly as difficult as it may sound. They are really awesome for fall dinner parties or if you need to take something to a potluck (I use the larger ones for that). I am making them for Halloween dinner this year. It works well with shredded turkey too when it is time to find creative things to do with leftovers from Thanksgiving.

nelie 10-27-2009 10:45 AM

Last year for Thanksgiving, I did stuffed acorn squashes. I made a quinoa/cranberry stuffing, loaded the acorn squashes and baked. So good.

When I went to the squash farm this past weekend, I didn't get any pumpkins, now I'm thinking I should've picked some up :) I got tons of other squash though and I roasted some again last night.

Primm 11-21-2009 02:15 AM

Quick question - do you cook the rice first, or add stock or something and bake the rice with the pumpkin?

Sounds awesome, I'll definitely be giving this a go.