3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Whole Foods Lifestyle (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/whole-foods-lifestyle-209/)
-   -   Those of you who don't like to cook... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/whole-foods-lifestyle/173432-those-you-who-dont-like-cook.html)

EveLHaelf 06-13-2009 01:57 PM

I'm having the same issues with cooking and what not. I like to be able to cook something on sunday and have it for lunch for the whole week while i'm at work. I'm only in to my 2nd week of my journey, so Im having a lot of trouble with the nutrition part..ugh...:(

But what I did for my first week was on Sunday I made two "loaves" of meatloaf, I found the recipe in the biggest loser cook book. I used fat free ground turkey breast and used my magic bullet to chop up garlic, onion, carrots, and spinach and tossed it in with the turkey then I just packed that for lunch all week. I did get a big tired of that, so I'm thinking of trying that crock pot soup idea to see how long that lasts.

I'm having a lot of trouble eating veggies. In the past i've always had to drown it with cheese for me to be able to eat them. And that would not be very helpful with my weight loss goals, lol. So the meatloaf recipe was great for me because I could sneak them in without really tasting them. :D Does anyone else have any recipes like that?

WaterRat 06-13-2009 08:24 PM

Take a bag of mixed frozen veggies, cook in microwave, add some protein (precooked chicken strips, pouch of tuna, etc) and mix with some curry sauce from a jar. THere are lots of flavors - in the ethnic food aisle.

You can also now buy frozen rice, white or brown, with added veggies or plain.

Bluebird 06-15-2009 08:06 PM

I love canned, seasoned tomatoes for easy meals. I will mix some with frozen, microwaved veggies and top with parmesian cheese, or add to rice along with black beans. I like to make a big batch of brown rice and keep that in the fridge because it is so easy to toss stuff into it and microwave it.

I also use my slow cooker a lot. At least once a week I make a three-bean, lean turkey chili that my husband and I both love. I also use it to make easy chicken. I usually just dump a jar of salsa in with the chicken or sometimes a couple of cans of cream-of-something soup. You can serve this over rice with steamed or roasted veggies.

Roasted veggies are also easy. I usually roast broccolli, just 'cause I love it. I just cut the florets into a big bowl, drizzle lightly with olive oil or spray with Pam, and sprinkle with seasoning salt, then mix it up and spread onto a roasting pan or cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and put in oven at around 400 until done. (Usually 15-20 mins.)

morninggloria 07-16-2009 12:45 PM

But what I did for my first week was on Sunday I made two "loaves" of meatloaf, I found the recipe in the biggest loser cook book. I used fat free ground turkey breast and used my magic bullet to chop up garlic, onion, carrots, and spinach and tossed it in with the turkey then I just packed that for lunch all week. I did get a big tired of that, so I'm thinking of trying that crock pot soup idea to see how long that lasts.

That's an excellent idea!

And thanks cinnamon for posting this. I'm in the same boat and am also struggling with what to make. I don't hate cooking perse, but doing it nightly is just not going to happen :oP.

ennay 07-16-2009 01:38 PM

I will marinate and grill an entire costco bag of chicken breasts at once. It just barely fits on my grill. Then I have chicken for salad, chicken on my pasta, chicken stir fries chicken burritos. I refreeze the breasts after cooking usually 3 to a bag and take them out when I have only one thawed one left in my fridge.

Pasta primavera - cooked chicken cut in strips. Bag of veggies with broccoli, carrots, cauliflower etc. Spaghetti, sauce. While pasta is cooking**, stir fry the veggies from frozen until JUST heated through but still crunchy. Heat jarred sauce in the microwave. When almost hot add cooked chicken and heat through. pile all on a plate and top with a sprinkle of parm

Chicken burritos. Cooked chicken. Canned black beans, whole wheat tortillas. Salsa, small amount shredded cheese. Homemade taco seasoning or store bought kind that is just a spice blend. I mix 1T taco seasoning in a drained rinsed can of beans and store in the fridge or freeze if you cant use it up. Good on salads or put ~ 1/3 cup in a burrito with chicken, cheese salsa and veggies if you like. Nuke until warm

Chicken salad. Chop cold chicken add apples, walnuts, celery, other chopped veggies, salt, pepper, cayenne. I add a little bit of mayo and if you are in the mood for a creamy chicken salad add cottage cheese. I hear this will keep for a day or so but I always eat as much as I make.

**MTA: if you are cooking for 1, cooked pasta freezes well in individual portion sizes. Place frozen pasta in a colander and pour hot water over it until it thaws and heats through.

ennay 07-16-2009 01:43 PM

Evelhalf - sneaking veggies...spaghetti sauce is the best way or soup. Buy an immersion blender (also called stick blender). When you puree those suckers you wont even know they are there! My husband hates veggies but will eat pureed veggie soup like crazy. The exact same soup unpureed he wont touch. I put carrots zucchini etc in my spag sauce.

Also the best way to deal with batch cooking is use your freezer. Make that meatloaf but freeze it so you dont have to eat it ALL at once. Make a huge pot of soup and freeze in individual servings. When you get enough stocked you can make one new dish a week but eat something different every meal.