3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Whole Foods Lifestyle (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/whole-foods-lifestyle-209/)
-   -   What the heck is going on with frozen artichoke hearts? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/whole-foods-lifestyle/169327-what-heck-going-frozen-artichoke-hearts.html)

Glory87 04-15-2009 10:31 PM

What the heck is going on with frozen artichoke hearts?

1 Attachment(s)
I love them, I thought I would grab a package since I haven't had them in awhile. 5.69?? Uh no.

sindy9001 04-15-2009 11:24 PM

I love them too.

tommy 04-15-2009 11:43 PM

Trader Joes sells them frozen in a bag. Last time I got them they were way less than that. Plus they are individually frozen (maybe a few stick together) so it is easy to use what you need. Give them a call if you are in a big city like San Diego.

midwife 04-16-2009 08:37 AM

What do you do with them? I've almost bought them a few times but I don't know what I would do.

Ideas? :)

Thighs Be Gone 04-16-2009 08:46 AM

Glory--how big is that bag? I usually pay $2.69 for a 14.5 ounce can of them.

LittleMoonRabbit 04-16-2009 08:49 AM

I didn't know artichoke hearts came frozen! How come I have never seen them??? I LOVE artichokes... I eat them all the time. But it's such a pain to do all that work to get to the heart... I gotta find me those, lol. Do they taste as good as fresh?

harrismm 04-16-2009 09:22 AM

Wow.Food in general is so expensive right now.I buy them in the can and use them on pizza and salads.Any clever ideas for use??

Thighs Be Gone 04-16-2009 09:36 AM

harris,

I like them in with spinach in a dip I make.

I buy whatever fish and produce is on sale so I am doing okay budget wise with foods. The cost of milk has been down for several months now thank goodness--eggs as well in my area.

harrismm 04-16-2009 10:21 AM

Thanks.I will have to find some dip recipes.Unfortunately i am the only one in the house who will eat them.But a dip for veggies sounds really good as a quick snack!

Glory87 04-16-2009 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone (Post 2700576)
Glory--how big is that bag? I usually pay $2.69 for a 14.5 ounce can of them.

If I squint at the picture, I think it's an 8 oz bag!

I like to just steam them and eat them but they are also great in pasta dishes! Or in omelets with a little low fat feta and black olives.

kaplods 04-16-2009 02:55 PM

I love to put frozen artichokes in my favorite potluck salad:

bag of frozen veggies (any combination, I like Walmart's asparagus stir fry)
1 to 1.5 cups of salad dressing of your choice (I make my own vinaigrette, but also have used bottled dressings, usually vinaigrette, but creamy works too)

optional ingredients -

fresh veggies like onion, celery, bell pepper, small or chopped tomatoes.

jarred or canned veggies or pickled veggies like artichoke hearts, sliced beets, water chestnuts, black olives, green olives, pickled cherry peppers or pepper rings...

toppings or stir ins like cheese, seeds or nuts, (I usually don't bother with those because they're usually too high calorie)

12 to 24 hours (it depends on how cold your fridge is) before you want to serve, you just mix the veggies and salad dressing. Cover, and let sit in the fridge until ready to serve.

kittycat40 04-16-2009 02:55 PM

I have a recipe for a risotto with artichoke hearts and parm cheese. It is fabulous!