Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:58 PM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default Rare produce that you are eating

I wasn't sure how to phrase this but what things are you finding in your farmer's markets, CSA boxes and grocery stores that you normally don't eat or that the typical person in your area doesn't eat?!

The other day I found Dinosaur kale and today was Guava on sale!! I've been eyeing the guava at my asian market but it has been pricey. Today it was on sale so I snagged a few. I absolutely love guava and they are one of my favorite fruits so I was excited. First thing I did when I got home was eat one. Of course I had already planned for a junky (but fairly low calorie) dinner and the guava threw me off a little because it wasn't planned so I went with a more nutritionally sound dinner instead.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
First thing I did when I got home was eat one. Of course I had already planned for a junky (but fairly low calorie) dinner and the guava threw me off a little because it wasn't planned so I went with a more nutritionally sound dinner instead.
Score one for guava

I think I eat well but I don't think I eat anything rare, hmmm.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:11 PM   #3  

S/C/G: PSW165.6/157/115

Height: 5'1

I love Guava, haven't had it in years. Back in my country we used to have a lot of Guava trees.
Renacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:58 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

A couple weeks ago I tried some golden beets... which aren't terribly exotic, but every time I mentioned them to someone, they said they didn't know those existed, haha.

Unfortunately, I didn't like them.. I peeled, chopped, and roasted them, and didn't like them as much as normal beets, which aren't one of my favorites to begin with.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:10 AM   #5  
Just Me

I've seen yellow beets and I may have even tried them before, I don't remember.

I wasn't looking for particularly exotic items but just kind of out of the ordinary.

My "normal" foods are pretty regular, romaine lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, celery, carrots, apples, oranges, avocado, regular kale, spinach, green beans, cauliflower, broccoli, strawberries, blueberries, etc. I was just excited to eat something that I normally wouldn't eat due to availability, price, etc.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:56 PM   #6  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

Early spring around here means ramps, sorrel and garlic sprouts (use the whole plant). A little early for asparagus at the market yet, but a friend brought me some from her personal patch in her back yard. Heaven I tell you. I picked up some dinosaur kale and fresh thyme at the market yesterday, I love spring! So long frozen and crappy out-of-season veggies.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:01 PM   #7  

I bought some kumquats this week, which I thought were fairly normal, but a) they're in the "weird fruit" section at my supermarket, along with the stuff that has weird spikes or nearly unpronounceable names, lol.. and b) there were very few entries for them in the database on thedailyplate. (Maybe there's an alternate spelling I don't know?)

I'd had them before but only 1 or 2 at a time... turns out if I eat more than 3 or so, they irritate my mouth/lips, and even my stomach. Maybe I'm mildly allergic to something in them. I've never had a problem with any other citrus. I hope I can eat them all before they go bad!
Old 05-18-2009, 05:44 PM   #8  

You can wizz them in the blender or food processor (or just finely chop) and keep in the freezer. Add a spoon or more to marinades or use in a glaze or chicken, pork or ham. Very tasty.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:01 PM   #9  

Thanks tommy, that sounds like a great idea! I'll definitely try that with some of them.

Last edited by mayness; 05-18-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:46 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

I got a bunch of tat soi greens in my CSA box this week. I'll be throwing those in a stir fry, more than likely.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE garlic scapes (the top part of the plant when it starts to bud!) I can't wait to see if the farmer's markets have them. They make the best pesto and are good roasted like asparagus too.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:06 PM   #11  

Height: 5'8.5"

I have been eating kumquats too... and pluots when I can get them; should be avaiable more soon. Also... guess this is not produce but more of a grain type... but I love quinoa!! Especially "red quinoa tabouli" which I get from my PCC Natural Market. Oh and falafel.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:23 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I just ate an ENTIRE artichoke. About 3 hours ago, I didn't even know how to cook or eat an artichoke... thank god for the internet!
Leeesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:20 AM   #13  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I've been eating a lot of Asian greens. Pea shoots, thai bok choi, tatsoi, yu choi, chinese broccoli, and a bunch of other stuff that I can't remember the name of. I'm sure I'm supposed to cook most of it, but I'm lazy so I just eat it raw in salads. They also sell amarath leaves and yam leaves at my farmers' market, but I haven't worked up the courage to try them yet. I'm pretty sure those have to be cooked.

Other more unusual fruits and veggies that I eat fairly regularly (whenever I can get them) include:
  • kohlrabi
  • baby turnips
  • fennel bulb
  • romano beans (like flat green beans but unbelievably good, I am counting the days until they show up at my farmers' market)
  • tromboncino squash (really hard to find, but so good, like a seedless zucchini, but milder and creamier)
  • fava leaves
  • fava beans
  • arugula (leaves and flowers)
  • purple and orange cauliflower
  • green tomatoes
  • figs
  • meyer lemons (I'll squeeze a slice into my water, then eat the slice the way you'd eat an orange slice)
  • limes (I love limes and can also eat them they way you'd eat an orange--oddly enough, I don't like oranges)
  • pluots and apriums (both are a cross between plums and apricots)

If I could ever find it, I'd also eat a lot of broccoli raab, but it is impossible to find around here.

I have a guava tree in my backyard, so when guavas are in season, I eat a lot of guavas.

I also like radish greens and pods, but the only way to get them is to grow the radishes myself and let them go to seed.

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 05-19-2009 at 03:23 AM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:33 AM   #14  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 200/129/135

Well this is isn't that rare or unusual, but: kiwis! They're fantastic and really help with sweet cravings.
nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:06 AM   #15  
Just Me

I love kumquats, my parents have a tree and when I visited, I overdosed on them.

I have arugula growing in my aerogarden and its part of my salad today.

Although I didn't get it from the farmers market, I made french green lentils last night, love those little guys.