3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Whole Foods Lifestyle (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/whole-foods-lifestyle-209/)
-   -   do you use different types of agave nectar? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/whole-foods-lifestyle/161935-do-you-use-different-types-agave-nectar.html)

Suzanne 3FC 01-18-2009 06:06 PM

do you use different types of agave nectar?

I always grab for the same container of agave - Madhava amber. It's as thick as honey and tastes great.

I recently bought light agave nectar from a bulk dispenser at the health food store, and noticed it was thinner than what I was used to. So that has me wondering about the different types. How would you rate the flavor and consistency of the agave you use? Do you have a preference?

There's...
Raw light
Raw amber
Light
Amber
Blue agave (not really blue, but I assume it's just a variety)
Blue light

cottagebythesea 01-18-2009 06:18 PM

I buy blue agave at Trader Joe's and the Madhava amber agave at the Giant supermarket. I thought they were the same thing, but is there a difference? They both seem to have the same consistency and taste the same.

I've heard that the darker amber agave nectar has more nutrients in it.

JulieJ08 01-19-2009 09:59 AM

I buy whatever is there at Trader Joe's!

MissPossum 01-23-2009 06:55 PM

They only have 2 varieties at my local food co-op, both in the $ 7.00 range, one is organic and one is standard.

I like it too. Not too sweet and better for my blood sugar control.

:D

zenor77 01-23-2009 08:00 PM

I buy the amber, it tastes richer to me and I believe it's suppose to have more nutrients. Same thing with honey, I buy darker for flavor and nutrients.

Jennifer 3FC 01-23-2009 09:37 PM

Has anyone tried the flavored varieties? (cappuccino, hazelnut, etc)

JuliaDH 01-23-2009 10:22 PM

Wikipedia discribes some of the variations as follows:

Agave nectars are sold in light, amber, dark, and raw varieties. Light agave nectar has a mild, almost neutral flavor, and is therefore sometimes used in delicate tasting foods and drinks. Amber agave nectar has a medium-intensity caramel flavor, and is therefore used in foods and drinks with stronger flavors. Dark agave nectar has stronger caramel notes, and imparts a distinct flavor to dishes, such as some desserts, poultry, meat, and seafood dishes. Both amber and dark agave nectar are sometimes used "straight out of the bottle" as a topping for pancakes and waffles. Raw agave nectar also has a mild, neutral taste. It is produced at temperatures below 118 degrees F to protect the natural enzymes, so this variety is an appropriate sweetener for raw foodists.[9]

Hope this helps!

wurdnerd 02-24-2009 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer 3FC (Post 2571920)
Has anyone tried the flavored varieties? (cappuccino, hazelnut, etc)

I have. Love the vanilla, and the hazelnut is good, but I'm not crazy about the irish cream. Not sure about the other flavors, but I'm willing to try them all.

Lexxiss 05-18-2009 11:09 PM

Hi:sunny:
My hubby was a sugar junkie and he agreed to make the switch to Agave and get off the refined stuff. We like amber the best and are fortunate to have an organic distributor near us. We buy a gallon for 23 dollars and keep it in the refrigerator to fill our cute little jar.
Debbie R

edzard 05-18-2009 11:15 PM

We get the madhava from amazon and like that (for the price) and sometimes supplement with a dark one from a health store near by, I love both.

FYI I have used it several times as a replacement for corn syrup, once in a while I break down and make my kids caramel corn or kettle corn and this worked great! At least if they have that stuff once in a while I know its natural sugars not the refined mutated corn crap :)

oh is my opinion showing sorry!