Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:14 AM   #1  
Running Fiend.

S/C/G: 210/165/145

Height: 5'7.5"

Default Vitamin Water

Hey everyone,

So, my friend recently did a triathlon and got a goodie bag full of "fitness" products, including a couple of bottles of Vitamin Water. We went on vacation together and I ended up trying quite a few of them and they're quite good. I think a 591mL is like 150 calories...

Since I started doing my weight loss program I've been trying to make the switch to healthier choices (ie: whole foods and organics) in conjunction with counting calories. I eat organic whenever possible, Ezekiel bread...that kind of stuff. Mostly I just drink pure water but I'm wondering what everybody thought of this Vitamin Water stuff as an occasional thing. The ingredients don't look too bad. There's cane sugar in it (:S) and "fruit and vegetable juices for coloring" whatever that means...

Anyway, I was just wondering what your opinions on it was?

Thanks
rockstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:20 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

150 calories for water?

Not for me thanks. If I want to spend that many calories on a drink, it's going to be a glass of wine or a citron martini.

Seriously, I hate the idea of drinking my calories away and especially for water.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:53 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I don't think vitamin water falls into that realm but there is a definite purpose for sports drinks in endurance sports such as triathlons. As far as a non timed sports, I don't see any purpose for sports drinks that try to refuel with carbs and electrolytes. In that, I'd say I wouldn't see any difference between vitamin water and coke as both are sugar drinks. I too don't like to drink my calories so I avoid doing so.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

My honest opinion is that Vitamin Water is crap. Don't mean to be so blunt, but I have tried a couple, and it doesn't have a whole lot of taste. I would rather have a little fruit juice with soda water. Who wants to waste all their calories on water? When doing serious exercise, like running for an hour or more or doing a softball tourney, I like to replenish with Propel. Lot lower in calories. Otherwise, just for a regular workout, I just drink water with a lemon wedge and a slice of ginger root. I usually follow that up with a small snack.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:10 PM   #5  

Quote:
I just drink water with a lemon wedge and a slice of ginger root.
I never thought of putting a slice of ginger in my water. What a GREAT idea. I drink sodium free club soda a lot as well (I like the fizzy stuff). I'll bet ginger in the soda water would be yummy.

Mmmm. I have a new treat for tonight!!! Thanks!

Old 09-11-2008, 12:30 PM   #6  
Running Fiend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
150 calories for water? :eek

Seriously, I hate the idea of drinking my calories away and especially for water.

Thanks for your replies guys. I definitely didn't mean it as a daily thing... more like a "treat" in the same way someone might have a Coke. I try not to drink my calories either. It seems like such a waste...

You guys made some great suggestions for adding stuff to plain water. I also like a splash of Knudsen's Just Cranberry juice. It's pure juice so it's got quite a strong taste to it and you definitely don't need a lot.

Last edited by rockstar87; 09-11-2008 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:04 PM   #7  
*Courtney Rae*

S/C/G: 245/217/160

Height: 5'5

I think it all tastes like garbage personally. I just watched something on tv the other day and it showed that it has 6tbs of sugar in one bottle! It should be called kool-aid not water. Og course if its just once in a while do as you please. When i really want something flavored i have crystal lite. There is a new one that is cherry pomagranite flavored and its yummy. Now i know this is not close by any means whole foods but this is like maybe once a month when i just need something other than water. Do you like tea? Some fresh brewed iced tea with a bit of honey or sugar is yummy
CandyKisses0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:04 PM   #8  
Running Fiend.

I'm actually not a fan of iced tea (but then again, the only kinds I've ever had have been the ones that come in a can and I find them gross. They taste way too sweet. It might be worth it to try the fresh kind though). The problem with crystal light is that it's got aspartame in it and I'm completely off artificial sweeteners. If I really want a pop that badly I just have a can of the regular stuff and work it into my calories. Good to know how much sugar is in one bottle of the vitamin water.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:13 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Vitamin waters are essentially cleverly marketed non-carbonated sodas.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:58 PM   #10  

Quote:
I'm actually not a fan of iced tea (but then again, the only kinds I've ever had have been the ones that come in a can and I find them gross. They taste way too sweet. It might be worth it to try the fresh kind though).
Oh my gosh. Iced tea in a can is the worst, most disgusting stuff ever made.

You MUST try real, freshbrewed iced tea. I make mine in a Mr. Coffee iced tea maker and it's yummy. I use decaf tea bags and sometimes add a flavored herbal tea bag once in a while.

Mmmm. I think I'll go get some iced tea now.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:01 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 220/190/140-160

Height: 5'5"

I don;t drink Vitamin Water, but I really only drink water, coffee, tea, wine and sometimes milk... because I do not like to drink my calories (other than with teh caffeine in my coffee, LOL).

my dh does not drink water, he never really has. I make him sweet tea that he drinks daily. He used to keep Gatorade in the fridge, for the weekend days spent working in our yard or on our house.

Over the last few years, we have eliminated HFCS from our diets. We also never consume any artificial chemical sweeteners. That makes Gatorade (HFCS), soda (HFCS), Propel (art sweet) and crystal light (art sweet) "out" for anyone in our household.

Vitamin water is superior to those IMO because it is sweetened with plain ole natural sugar. That's what we keep on hand for his weekend drinks, or for on the go drinks in the cooler for dh and our kids.

So IMO, it really has no place in a weight loss diet, but as a beverage choice from a "whole foods" perspective, it's one of the better options out there.
tigerchic89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:25 PM   #12  
it's always something

I heard on the news that many of the vitamins in this type of beverage are water soluble and degrade while sitting on the shelf, so you don't really get the benefit claimed.

Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:27 PM   #13  
Just Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerchic89 View Post

So IMO, it really has no place in a weight loss diet, but as a beverage choice from a "whole foods" perspective, it's one of the better options out there.
I know you said 'IMO' which is fine as we are each allowed our own, but I wouldn't say vitamin water is anywhere close being a whole food. If someone wants to have something towards the whole food spectrum and doesn't mind sugar water, I'd say drink juice.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:18 PM   #14  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
I heard on the news that many of the vitamins in this type of beverage are water soluble and degrade while sitting on the shelf, so you don't really get the benefit claimed.

I've also read that because the nutrients are separated from the fruit and veggies that would normally provide them, the amino acids that are necessary for your body to absorb the nutrients aren't present. Thus, your body can't absorb the nutrients in the water. You're basically just drinking liquid sugar.

If I'm going to splurge on a 150-calorie treat, I want it be something better than flavored water.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:47 PM   #15  
Just Me

Not that I would call it a Whole Food either but I was at Target yesterday and dying of thirst. So I went to the drink section and they had bottles of flavored water. It had no sweeteners but just had water and natural flavors. The one I picked up was spearmint which the first sip was like drinking listerine but was good after the second sip. Other flavors included fruit flavors and cucumber.