easy whole food snacks?

You're on Page 3 of 4
Go to
  • Quote: refried beans (organic black beans with roasted red peppers is my favorite).
    where do you get this?
  • Quote: I'd like pumpkin butter but I don't like the added sugar they put into it. I think Cracker Barrel actually has no sugar added pumpkin and apple butter. I found it there before. Also there is this place in Julian, CA (outside of San Diego) that has tons of fruit 'butters' with no added sugar or sweetened with juice, can't remember which. I forget their name though.
    would that be the julian cider mill?
    how do you know julian?
  • Quote: where do you get this?
    Whole Foods has refried beans with red peppers. They are really good. I also like bearitos refried beans but they are usually a bit pricey for me.

I grew up in San Diego and visit twice a year. My mom likes Julian although really Santa Ysabel and Dudley's bakery is where its at...
  • yesss!!! dudley's cheese bread is to die for. tastes just like cheez-its. i must keep away.

i was going to make a pilgrimage to julian this weekend to get some manna from heaven bread (julian bakery, not dudley's) that is mentioned in the superfoods book and found they moved to la jolla!!! what??? that's just wrong.
  • I love cherry tomatoes w/garlic salt on them for a snack, also some kiwis or some ruby red grapefruit w/a little sugar on it. I just had some pumpkin seeds and a chamomile tea, that was good.
  • I'm waiting for Julian to get some snow again.
  • easiest snack for me as a hard boiled egg, i generally keep a couple cooked in the fridge. Its quite filling and only around 100 cals, depending on the size of the egg
  • I enjoy sliced banana with about 1T PB... makes me think of PB banana sandwiches, without the bread, although, at times I still enjoy that!

I also will make a bigger meal one night that will last for lunches and dinners through out the week. Just heat up and enjoy! Tonight I made baked brown rice and beans, with some broth, spices and some cheese, oh it came out absolutely DELISH! DH loved it too!!
  • I like organic carrots - then I don't have to peel them. Just scrub and chop the ends off. I always keep a bag of apples on hand, too and I like navel oranges (I get organic too so I can eat the peel). I also like GTs Synergy Kombucha (it gives you a full feeling and a little feel good rush - but man are they an acquired taste - if you try start with Strawberry). They are expensive too unless you can find them on sale. My favorite treat though (also when I can afford it) is to pour frozen blueberries in a dessert dish (maybe half a cup - a cup if I'm feeling gluttonous) and add skim milk to cover. It all freezes to a sort of blueberry slushy that is very satisfying as you can't eat it very fast. Trick is to get good frozen blueberries. I can't remember the name - but my favs come in a brown paper packaging. Stahlsomething. They are the cheapest and have never gotten a bad bag of blueberries yet!
  • thanks for all these great snack ideas.
  • I try to limit my carbs and boost protein, so I am a big fan of pumpkin seeds (raw, unsalted). Raw almonds or walnuts are good too - with a few prunes or other dried fruit to make it sweet.
  • Thanks for all of the snack ideas...I can definitely use these!

One thing that is helping me get rid of the sweet cravings is a tablespoon full of Black Strap Molasses, Unsulfured a day... I put it in my breakfast smoothie in the morning and it has literally killed my cravings...I use it for a sweetner in tea or coffee sometimes as well... I think the brand I have is called Plantation...

Another thing since I started the green breakfast smoothies, I seem to have an aversion to meat...or some forms...
  • That's one of my favorites! I cook a bag of pinto beans in the crock pot and puree them in the food processor with olive oil and taco seasoning. I use it either for burritos or quesadillas! YUM!
  • If you're into avocado, i make my own guacamole with lemon, cilantro, onion, tomato and garlic and eat it with crackers. Once I just mixed some corn into it and it was amazing.
  • I have 4 or 5 different nuts in the door of my freezer for variety and freshness. Always have some on hand to snack on or add to a salad, cereal or yogurt.